Custom coil springs manufactor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Custom coil springs manufactor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Custom coil springs manufactor

Is there anyplace that makes custom coil springs to your exact specs? I'm going for a low COG jeep, and would like to have about 14 inches of travel (4 up 10 down)
Would like to keep 3.5 inches of lift... around 25 inch free length coils (front) at around 115-125 for spring rate. I've called/emailed a few custom spring companies, but non would make springs to my specs.. They could make progressive coils, for a 3.5 lift, but it would only be around 20-22 inches free length

Any suggestions?

Unread 12-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That particular combination is gonna be tough to come up with. A coil spring long enough to support 14" of travel will have to be really soft to sit you where you want it to. Stick to 4" coils with 12" travel and modify the coil buckets for your desired ride height.

BTW, 4 up/10 down is ridiculous. You're going to have problems keeping the coils seated. Shoot for 6/6 with 12" travel.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, 10 down might be a little high, but i'm just looking for springs that have a high free length. The longest springs i've found in the 3.5 - 4 range has been from Superlift at 20.75". That doesn't equate to enough down travel, IMO
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd talk to Wayne at Alltech. He sells PAC that offer a lot of different options but has experience and relationships with just about everybody. If it can be done reasonably I bet he can tell you how and where.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Currie 4" springs are your best off the shelf solution.
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Currie 4" springs are your best off the shelf solution.
Called Currie awhile ago about this... Said free length was only 20 point something... Still.. Not long enough for my liking.. Like i said.. Ideal would be 24-25, but i would take 22.5 at the extreme lowest
I have yet to find a 3.5 or 4 inch spring over 21 inches
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Metalcloak spring are long. Around 23" in few length for the 3.5" lift spring IIRC. Their compressed length may be an issue however, especially in the rear. You may also get more lift over stock depending on how much extra weight you have.

What size tires are you planning on running? Why so little up travel with that much lift?
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Metalcloak spring are long. Around 23" in few length for the 3.5" lift spring IIRC. Their compressed length may be an issue however, especially in the rear. You may also get more lift over stock depending on how much extra weight you have.

What size tires are you planning on running? Why so little up travel with that much lift?
I'm swapping out my Dana 30/44 to a 60 or 70, and throwing a second generation sterling 10.25 in the rear.. Planning on running anywhere from 37s -39's.. With the help of Metalcloaks arched fenders of course.... Whole point to this build is a low COG jeep.. Suppose to keep all 4 tires on the ground whenever possible. I figure running 3 foot tall tires, you're not gonna need that much uptravel to get up and over things, but you're gonna need the downtravel to keep the rubber planted.. Wanna be able to run Trail 5, 6 and Affliction and possibly The Heights at Rausch Creek without a problem
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You really need to put some deeper thought into travel and how articulation works. Having your travel that unbalanced isn't doing you any favors, especially if your coils can't handle it.

That's more than enough room for tires that big and 6-7" of up travel. I'm on 37" tires and my frame rails are 19.5" off the ground. I've got 6" of up travel in the rear and 5.5" up front.
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
I'm swapping out my Dana 30/44 to a 60 or 70, and throwing a second generation sterling 10.25 in the rear.. Planning on running anywhere from 37s -39's.. With the help of Metalcloaks arched fenders of course.... Whole point to this build is a low COG jeep.. Suppose to keep all 4 tires on the ground whenever possible. I figure running 3 foot tall tires, you're not gonna need that much uptravel to get up and over things, but you're gonna need the downtravel to keep the rubber planted.. Wanna be able to run Trail 5, 6 and Affliction and possibly The Heights at Rausch Creek without a problem
Prime example of the "LCG" methodology gone wrong.
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You really need to put some deeper thought into travel and how articulation works. Having your travel that unbalanced isn't doing you any favors, especially if your coils can't handle it.

That's more than enough room for tires that big and 6-7" of up travel. I'm on 37" tires and my frame rails are 19.5" off the ground. I've got 6" of up travel in the rear and 5.5" up front.
You really think I'd have that much uptravel space? I've seen how metalcloaks on 35s with no lift look.. I can't believe anyone can get more then 5 inches of uptravel on that setup.
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
You really think I'd have that much uptravel space? I've seen how metalcloaks on 35s with no lift look.. I can't believe anyone can get more then 5 inches of uptravel on that setup.
Just based on your post and this last statement there is more then enough room. By adding your 3.5"s to the "no lift" that in theory equates to fitting a 7" bigger tire. So you could run 42s with 3.5"s of lift and 5"s of up travel(as compared to Metal Cloaks, no lift, 35s and 5 inches of up travel example).

Balance out your suspension a little more, 10 inches of down travel is a bit much w/14" total. Besides making it difficult you will prob need some new driveshafts and other bits with your original plan.
Unread 03-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

These guys can make ANY spring, they have the data on just about anything made plus they do custom work that is reasonable. http://www.eatondetroitspring.com
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a low ride height with that kind of travel and that kind of droop and it still be controllable and not super sloppy and loose, you need to look into ORI struts and not a typical coil, shock, sway bar and bump stop set up....
Unread 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking the same. At the point you are, coilovers or oris would be easier to dial things in the way you want. In terms of up/down travel, build how you want it. if you think 4/10 will work then do so. I don't understand the 50/50 trend at all. The nice thing about working with coilovers is its easier to rework things. With keeping it low you might run into frame issues in the front particularly with a stretch and hi steer arms. If I were to do it again id cut off the frame in the front and run it straight and level from the top of the hump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.