coils, air shock, coilover ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > coils, air shock, coilover ???

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

coils, air shock, coilover ???

After I get the engine in this beater I will have to finish up the front suspension. If money was no option id go coilovers because it seems the best all around. Reading, reading, and now some more on what I need, can get by with and should definitely have.

Coilovers- best overall, pricy, probably overkill for what I need.

Regular ol' coil spring and shock- cheap, I have a few lift heights already 4"&6"

Air shock- bottom of the chain as fat as performance overall but good for slow crawler

Hybrid air/coil- intermediate, cost in-between, but seems closer to coilovers price without all the bells and whistles.

I will mostly rum trails with this xj, however I like to drive to trails and back. Has anyone run air shocks on the road and can give some feedback on how it is apparently unpredictable? I also have a slight fear that I'll be heavy up front but can't think my sbc/700r weight is much different from the 4.0.

I won't be trying to bomb through the wash so the heating issue isn't as much a worry. I can't think of a road that would be so rough here that cruising speed would heat them up much.

Have a buddy who would like to trade some work for some fox 2.0 airs, maybe a little small for my front application, but if I don't like them I can always buy other fronts and put these in rear.

Decisions....

Unread 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

air shocks are a huge no if you plan on driving on the road.. it shouldnt even be an option. Id go coilovers if you could afford it. If not go coils and normal shocks.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Search for used coilovers on desert forums.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I will search some used ones. I've been looking.

Connor, why the big NO? My being skeptical comes from the fact that a couple guys at the local fab shop are running them and drive to work. I like to drive to trail. I hear the don't do it, but it's all forum hear say and nobody is actually running them.

My question being, if you say no then why not?
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
93_bigbadxj

Run a disco sway bar and just don't drive it like a race car. Brake dive isn't what is going to kill you with air shocks on the road. I would drive my Sammy all day if it was in good enough shape to do so but the heater don't work. I have xj coils on back so it keeps body roll in check but a sway bar up front and drive with common sense.
Also my zuk has 4.3 th350 and it takes about 300 psi to get 4" shaft showing. Your xj will be pretty close to the 450-500 max psi with a sbc in it.
93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
I will search some used ones. I've been looking.

Connor, why the big NO? My being skeptical comes from the fact that a couple guys at the local fab shop are running them and drive to work. I like to drive to trail. I hear the don't do it, but it's all forum hear say and nobody is actually running them.

My question being, if you say no then why not?
I just think you will be happier with Coilovers.. Air-shocks really arent built to go fast, just crawl and droop like crazy. With a coilover it will be much more stable, especially for a road worthy rig. I have done some reading on pirate regarding this and about 98% of the people say its a bad idea.

But hey, im just giving you my opinion. Maybe drive one of their rigs with air shocks and see how you like it. They may have it dialed just right so it actually handles pretty good.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ori
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
93_bigbadxj

Tottally agree there! Again coilovers have to be dialed in too. Coilovers are there to give you long travel and super soft suspension! When your running double and triple rate springs your actually riding on about 80-150 spring rate. That on the rode and without sway bars will handle just like a air shock since it's doing the same thing. It is using the minimum pressure to hold your rig up and spring rate will rise on compression. Either way your talking lots of money and time to set either one up. Cheapest coilover I have found is Profender USA. Never ran them but have read good reviews. Valving of the shock will have to be done also on a coilover or airshock. My air shocks are way to harsh on valving at 75/85. I need a 50/50 or 60/40 valving for my weight. If I wouldn't have got such a great deal I would be running adj shocks and conventional coils and my ride would probably be even better!
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
93_bigbadxj

Forgot to add that you will also need a nitrogen setup! I bought my reg, no loss chuck, and hose all off eBay and 5yr contract from airgas for 253$ so you will need to factor in that into your shocks or coilovers also! That alone would buy dang good shocks to run with conventional coils!
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Ya, I have the shock/coil setup now. But keeping the low cog and having enough droop without stretching coils will be more hassle imo. I'm not desert racing at all. Creepy slow crawling is where im at. I've looked a little for used coilovers and there aren't a bunch out there. The coilovers will be really expensive compared to a hybrid or air shock. I've lost coils before, not fun at all. They pop out and then you hope to have something close to flex on to drop that corner to get the spring in again.

Want the project rolling soon, but the expense of coilovers is a bit much at the moment. I can't keep beating my yj while the xj is down. Hard to explain to the wife why the yj didn't come home last night, and that broken drag links are bad but can get a new one cheap/free. Literally left the yj in the sticks Thursday night with broken drag link, skipped work Friday to fix and retrieve All I can say is I go places Dana 30/35's shouldn't.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.