Coilovers and stretch build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Coilovers and stretch build

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The coilover bible on pirate is a good but long read. It completely changed my view on a few aspects

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would also have a look at air shocks. You can get Fox and Kings for pretty cheap, ORI's run a bit more at $600/each. They are infinitely easier to setup and get your desired ride height. Don't be surprised if you end up buying and returning spring sets multiple times before you get it dialed in. The coilover bible on pirate has some great methods to calculate it, but your overall weight and weight distribution is going to change when you stretch it and ditch the leafs for links so even if you do a 4 corner weigh in before the build those numbers will be a bit off when it's over.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Traditional air shocks and ORI's are very different things. I'd recommend ORI's and will probably go with them in the future. I wouldn't recommend normal air shocks.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is true, the traditional air shocks seem to all be subject to over heating and getting stiff. Not something you want to deal with if you're on all day runs. Not an issue with ORI's.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nice thing about the ORIs is that you dont really need bumpstops or limiting straps, so them being slightly more expensive may actually end up costing you less in the long run. I have also been told that sway bars are not needed with ORIs either; but that was on a tube buggy, so i'm not sure how that translates to TJs.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
nice thing about the ORIs is that you dont really need bumpstops or limiting straps, so them being slightly more expensive may actually end up costing you less in the long run. I have also been told that sway bars are not needed with ORIs either; but that was on a tube buggy, so i'm not sure how that translates to TJs.
Why no bumps or limit straps? Especially if your going fast that seems odd
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
IEcrawlerTJ01
More than a web wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494
It completely changed my view on a few aspects

App[/URL]
What changed my view on a few aspects is the SAVVY KOH EMC Jeep.

4in Currie coils and King shocks with resivoirs
They Worked alot of coilovered rigs through the whoops and rough stuff.

Needles to say. Unless someone can make a jeep on coilovers faster through the rough stuff than they went on coils. I'll be running a copy of the savvy jeeps suspension

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #23
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if your planning on any go fast terrain but that is one place the ORI's are not great, at least that is what I have read. I do not have any first hand experience maybe someone that does can chime in. There are some great articles on Pirate about the ORI's, I was leaning that direction originally on my build but for a rig that will see a lot of highway miles to get to the trails I was not convinced on their durability. I know a couple of KOH guys that were sponsored by ORI are going to move back to a coil over when their sponsorship is up. Just my .2 cents..

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
What changed my view on a few aspects is the SAVVY KOH EMC Jeep.

4in Currie coils and King shocks with resivoirs
They Worked alot of coilovered rigs through the whoops and rough stuff.

Needles to say. Unless someone can make a jeep on coilovers faster through the rough stuff than they went on coils. I'll be running a copy of the savvy jeeps suspension
I had Currie coil springs and Fox Shocks on my last TJ and they were pretty awesome, but I have Fox Remote res coilovers, and air bumps on my rig now, and I like them much better at high speeds over rocks and other large bumps, the small bumps are about the same, but I've never had my coilovers on the street either so I can't compare them there.

I think that coils plus shocks, or coilover shocks should actually perform about the same if they're both tuned equally. The tie breaker goes to the coilovers IMO because they're easier to set up/package when space is limited.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #25
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been extremely busy with work. I ended up picking up a 14 bolt from a 2003 GMC 2500. It came complete with disc brakes, 4.10 gears, open diff. I also have a friend of a friend who has a Dana 60 for sale. Apparently the Dana 60 is in decent shape, but could use new seals. It also has 30 spline warn locking hubs which are going to need to be upgraded to 35 spline.

Here is the 14 bolt. We'll most likely be shaving it using the ballistic fab shave kit.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.