Coil spring rates, what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Coil spring rates, what to look for?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Coil spring rates, what to look for?

If I want the Jeep to act the same way it does stock, how do I calculate an increase in spring rate? I was adding up my Jeep junk, probably weighs 800 lbs more than when it did stock. Lets say hypothetically its evenly distributed, 400lbs added from my CG forward.

I measured the rate of my current springs (either currie or deaver) and they are approximately 160-170 lbs per inch, and ride very nice (but are too short that's why I'm upgrading). What happens when you go too soft a coil?

If I want a 4.5" lift spring do I just get one with a similar rate? Rustys and Rough are pretty close.

Side thought: Why are some coils rated outrageously high? (BDS 240lbs per inch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

What you want is to measure your Spring Frequency rate of the stock springs. Ibs/inch is one part of the math. Then modify the formula to represent the added weight and length.

Goggle "Spring Frequency Rate Automotive" and there will be plenty of information and formulas.

Another good source of info would be Eibach. They have customer tech that can help you with your questions. Have used Eibach tech. on several projects and they always worked well
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Holy S*** is this what you mean? http://enderw88.wordpress.com/automo...g-rate-theory/
Quote:
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Yup, it looks worse then it really is though.

If you give Eibach your parameters they can spit out the calculations for you. Likely they have a spring on the shelf that will fit your needs or darn close to it.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Eibach offers lift springs? News to me. So I'm guessing my method of taking a spring out of my jeep and applying weight until it compressed 1 inch (did so at 170ish pounds) isn't accurate enough? I found a calculator that helps factor in gauge
Quote:
Unread 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Eibach offers lift springs? News to me. So I'm guessing my method of taking a spring out of my jeep and applying weight until it compressed 1 inch (did so at 170ish pounds) isn't accurate enough? I found a calculator that helps factor in gauge
I would not say Eibach makes lift springs per se but they do make a wide variety of coil springs for many applications. Perhaps they might have have an app that would fit your need. If not they can make one.

Your compression test is one valid piece of the puzzle. But only a piece. Other factors such as compression/rebound rates, damping characteristics etc can be factored in. Depends on how good you want to tune the springs in.
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm I dont have the ability to test my compression rate, and it appears the rebound is based off the compression.

I guess I'll just hunt around and see how people feel about BDS springs, at 240lbs rate
Quote:
Unread 12-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Considering that the BDS springs you're looking at are ~80 lbs greater in rate than your stock ones, that'll make for a very STIFF ride up front...you have to consider that the springs are the given ~80 lbs for each side, so you're really increasing the total front capacity by ~160 lbs/in. That's a pretty good deal. I don't know if the front of my CJ is any lighter than yours, being all steel, V8, etc. etc. but I'm putting in coilovers with a 150 lb/in rate. Keep us updated on what you come up with though.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I emailed the BDS rep and he said that the JK 6.5 lift front springs would be exactly what I'm looking for.
JK 6.5" front springs=Gauge 0.625, rate 175, length 21.75
XJ 4.5" front springs=Gauge 0.656, rate 240, length 20.13

They will probably end up landing 5, maybe 5.5 but that's fine. I think I'll order them after christmas
Quote:
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I emailed the BDS rep and he said that the JK 6.5 lift front springs would be exactly what I'm looking for.
JK 6.5" front springs=Gauge 0.625, rate 175, length 21.75
XJ 4.5" front springs=Gauge 0.656, rate 240, length 20.13

They will probably end up landing 5, maybe 5.5 but that's fine. I think I'll order them after christmas
Im pretty sure JK coils mount differently then XJ coils.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Perhaps Blaine will chime in about that. If not you could PM him. Then when your ready to order you will know for sure.
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Snoopi8321
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Putting it simply unless you do a long arm 4.5 it won't ride as nice. The change in angle on controls arms will cause the bumps to absorb differently and transfer more of the force to the chassis.

As far as springs go for a softer ride lifted you might wanna check rough country. I believe (not 100%) that their spring are 180lbs. The springs with high rates 200+ are designed for HD applications ie steel bumpers with winches strapped to front.

Good luck with you search hope you find a solution.

[URL="http://http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/lifted-locked-xj-1361274/"]http://http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/lifted-locked-xj-1361274/[/URL]
Snoopi8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought the BDS 3" coils this summer and slapped them on. It is a stiff ride but i like it. When i take corners at 10-15 mph over what the sign says my jeep doesnt do the gangster lean it just goes. My guess is softer the better for wheeling but if it is also a dd i would want more stiffness.

May i add speed bumps suck with bds coils lol but at the time i ordered them i didnt know much about spring rates ect. I dont think ill ever be able to stuff my front tire into the fenderwell with this much lb/per inch though.
dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
BDS says they mount the same, and suggested them originally when I asked for a softer rate. I will order them soon
Quote:
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopi8321 View Post
Putting it simply unless you do a long arm 4.5 it won't ride as nice. The change in angle on controls arms will cause the bumps to absorb differently and transfer more of the force to the chassis. .
My 4.5 rides awesome, you need to buy quality parts. Trying to buy as similar as possible springs, just taller so I can get rid of the spacers
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.