cj8 1 ton build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > cj8 1 ton build

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've watched a friend of mine spend countless dollars on two doner vehicles to come up with a Toyota drivetrain and a TDI engine in a YJ. He is a true mad scientist, super smart, did nearly all the fab himself, has access to tow trucks and wrecked vehicles, all sorts of tools and other handy wrenches, and is still not done after two years. This is not an easy endevour. Some of your ideas like the huge lift make no sense. Do some more research!

Unread 10-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

yes i agree my first post was very general and done before any research but i was just seeing what people thought . my intentions with the toyota was only because a guy is selling one with a 4bt on 40s near me but I am keeping my current frame now and plating the rest of it. I talked to my buddy's dad in person about my ideas with the motor and suspension and stretching the frame and he said he could for sure do it. The whole reason I want to do this is because Im tired of my truck (Too many like it now and terrible gas mileage) and just want something different. a LOT different and a custom jeep would definitely be different. Now I am going to wait till I have everything together to start which is why for now i'm just making it a bad little jeep and putting it on 35s to hit all the trails in the ONF.

Anyways my current plan (after I sell my truck after school) is to get a donor truck, a 3/4 or 1 ton dodge or ford, and cut the suspension out and move it over to the jeep as well as extend the frame to move the axle back(i know its not as easy as that but my buddy's dad is well aware of my plans). I plan on using as much as i can from the truck. I will be buying a bread van with a 4bt (yes i have been on 4btswaps forum) so i can use everything i need out of it and scrap the rest. the only thing like i said before is I'll have to find the right tranny and t-case. I am only posting this to see if anyone has any tips, i've got a plan now and the fabricator so i just have to wait till my school break and when/if my truck sells for what I want.
oldschoolnewcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
neagtea

Moving the wheel well is major work and you will need a few fab skills and the required equipment. Not to mention a bunch of other issues that seem to snowball once started.
neagtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with your build. I won't try to shoot you down but take what you want from my experience:

Bought my jeep at 20 (I'm 22 now)
Lifted it with a cheap RC lift kit.
Slapped on some 33x12.50 Duratracs
Then...
I got antsy and decided to do a motorswap. I thought...ehhhh...a 350 SBC wouldn't be too hard since I have my own welder and have a lot of experience with cars. The build turned into a 400hp 400 ft. lbs 355 SBC (that I built with the help of my buddy) because my power hungry side got the best of me.
Fast forward 6-8 months later

I finally got the jeep road worthy after spending about double what I originally intended.

Its been over a year since I started the swap and I still have some small things to do in order to be satisfied (for a little).

Moral of the story, I was young (still am) and dove head first into this project. I was in college and had money saved and worked 2 jobs in order to support myself as well as fund the build. I did ALL of the work myself and paid for every dime on my own. HOWEVER, if I were to factor in money, the supporting modifications (axles, gears, driveline, susp. geometry, etc,), time, effort, frustration, and unforeseen BS, I would say the project was 5 times what i though it was going to be.

Take what you want from that, but I dont see your project getting done very soon (or at all) with the expectations that you have and the skills (not to knock your know-how) that you have. Even if your buddy is experienced with welding/fabrication and cars in general he will not always be readily available to help you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.