cj8 1 ton build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > cj8 1 ton build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

Question cj8 1 ton build

hey guys I plan on starting my project as soon as I sell my current truck, an f150 on 37s that gets terrible gas mileage. My plan is to turn my current trail riding jeep scrambler to an ON-road beast (with occasional off roading) by restoring it and throwing it on big tires and nice wheels (dont worry I still have another cj7 waiting to be turned into my trail truck). I am going to run toyo m/t 38's or 40's. My current plan that I know I am doing is to stretch the wheelbase to match the jeep jk fourdoor wheelbase and buy the blank rear quarter panels from genright and cutting the wheel well out where it needs to be. I am doing this because I plan on putting the jk 3person rear seat in the back, as well as the rest of the interior. not sure about the dash yet, might have to get one made.

now to get to the things i need help on. let me start by stating what i want to do
1. make the jeep look sexy and ruggid
2. get good gas mileage
3. be able to tow as much as a 1/2-3/4 ton truck (not super important but would be nice)
4. take the best/cheapest route if that exists.

by the way I am not a welder or mechanic just a beginner wrench head as people say. first off the frame on the scrambler is partly rusted, partly bent up, and partly repaired (badly) by someone else. and with those big tires I will need a bigger motor so i dont think this frame will support it without major beefing up. so when i was considering frames i thought about putting the body on an f150 or f250 frame but i dont think it would look right. i want a small frame that matches the jeep body but is as strong as the bigger trucks. so im kind of stuck on what to do about a frame. i am for sure running dana 60 axles. I will most likely shorten them. now for the motor power for me is second to gas mileage as long as I can add to it later to get plenty of power. so to me the best type of motor to get good mpg with 38s or 40s would be a diesel unless someone thinks otherwise. and i was thinking a cummins 4bt. i know of a couple i can purchase but they are'nt cheap. now with the 4bt i am not sure what i would do about electrical i know theres a place about an hour from me that makes jeep jk to 4bt wring harness so im sure i could send it to them but not sure where i would find a whole jeep jk eletrical system. currently there is a 89 toyota straight axled 10in lift with a 4bt cummins in it for sale. if i put the jeep body on this would i need to move the front axle or motor?

oldschoolnewcj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Several negating factors here. I'm all for this kind of fun but also have had more projects tank than complete.
1. Knowledge /skills vs cost. Have to have deep pocketbooks or the mechanics/fab skills to pull this off.
2. 40's and good gas mileage. This is more attainable I think, but not guaranteed. Diesel isn't great mileage, but an ls wouldn't be bad either. Gears will play a role in this.
3. Narrowing axles and what not. Doable, but takes creativity and again some fan skills. Farming this out is expensive, doing it yourself saves but can be headache.

Not an attempt to rain on your parade. But to direct some attention to the finer points of the pain of a big build. I ask myself some days if it's worth the work? And it will be....some day....

Best of luck!
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Your crazy if you want to tow as much as a truck a jeep isnt that stable then throw 40's on it. Why do you need a wiring harness for a 4bt they are a manuel motor. Mpg and 40's probably not. Your idea is not a project for a beginner. If you want a 4 door jk you better just buy one would be cheaper and faster.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

If this were your 10th build, you were a highly skilled fabricator AND you had very deep pockets, I'd say you're not going to be able to pull this off. Come on - 40s, good mpg and tow as well as a full size?
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

well i would be extending my wheelbase and using everything underneath out of a 1 ton besides the frame which i plan on doing some major beefing up on. also all the fab work would be done by my friends dad who has owned his own welding business for 30+ years so i wasnt worried about that. the reason i posted this was because i've been trying to get a plan in order so i can then get a total ballpark build price since my tire/wheel combo is going to be $5000. (yeah dont know why i was talking about a wiring harness, still thinking of my 6bt)
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

40's mpg towing like a truck. Still aint happnin. The jeep wont be heavy enough springs wont be strong enough and if they were it would be in the air as much as the ground going down the highway. Nothing wrong with dreaming but if a truck is what you need thats where you should spend your money and if your looking for mpg your not going to get it with a big tire. Rotating mass and drag.

forumrunner_20120930_220512.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Hope you have 50k or so to blow. If the thing got enough spring to tow like the truck you want it will be a ridiculous rough wide while its not weighted down. I understand your young and have all sorts of crazy ideas but be realistic. Its near impossible to turn your cj into a fuel efficient tow rig with capabilities like dodge 3500.

I may as well just start towing the xj out on my daughters built power wheels Barbie jeep.
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Gaducker
1983 CJ8 

With that kind of wish list and the fact you will have to farm alot of the work out 25 grand will get you started but you should plan on overages.
Gaducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
printingray

You should have the gears changes as the truck must have to get a pretty good lift to correctly accommodate the big tires which arr not tow friendly.
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

pic of this jeep??????????

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

well like I said in my post the towing thing is not a major issue just would be nice and i was seeing if anyone thought it would be possible. My buddy who is a professional welder has done similar things already to cj's like v8 motor swaps and he has re welded spring perches that needed moving because a guys lift moves his axle back. so im not worried about the work I was just seeing if anyone had some input to make it easier and to see if anyone had some pointers before I started to save money since my tire and wheel setup is going to be around $5000. I am for sure going 1 ton everything, axles, tranny, driveshafts, and suspension so i'll just get a donor truck (probably an older f250, preferably dana 60s) and weld the f250 spring perches on, axles, etc. I decided to keep the current frame because it has already been plated on both sides on half of the frame so im just going to plate the rest of it and make it solid. Now im not sure if im going to run the axles normally and just get custom fenders made or shorten them. not sure if this would look goofy for an on-road jeep. i have made my mind up on the 4bt so ill have my buddy make the motor mounts. by the way one of my buddys with the 6bt sitting on 38s gets around 18-20 mpg average and can still tow. i do plan on getting bigger gears probably 5.13s if i get 40s. one thing i have not made my mind up on yet is what tranny and tcase to use, even though its for on-road use mainly i still want it to be heavy duty.

but besides all that, im going to wait and sell my truck around December when my college classes end. so for now i just ordered a spring over axle lift from rocky road outfitters. i also ordered the longer shackles for the front so it will be 7.5 inches of lift according to their website. with the body lift I will have 10.5 inches total of lift.

I know she looks ruff but i plan on putting a lot of tlc into her. most of the rust has already been cut out and replaced with fiberglass. Its a 1982 cj8 scrambler with a 3in. body lift on bald 33x12.50s, re manufactured 258 bored to around 263, dui distributor, 2bl webber carb, hedman headers. I also have a t18 with a dana 20tcase sitting in the back that i need help swapping in if anyone wants to check out that thread and give me some advice. also what tires would you guys recommend after the lift? 35x15x15 swampers or 37x12.50x15 iroks? i dont plan on wheeling her too hard.

Last edited by oldschoolnewcj8; 10-03-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

looks awesome, you have some cool plans, interested to see how it goes.

I would rather you not re install the body lift. that are dangerous especially @ 3"

I think you will have plenty of lift with a 4" SOA lift

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
oldschoolnewcj8
1982 CJ8 

Thanks, and idk, I may take the body lift off but it's a trail truck not a daily driver
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

look up on youtube why you dont want a body lift. they make your jeep incredibly weak.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you are even considering putting a cj8 body on a toyota anything frame then i suggest you hold off on this project and leave things the way they are. your original post is chocked full of unrealistic goals common with a young first-timer. in the end you will expend a ton of effort and be disappointed with the outcome. at 18 and in college, building 20+MPG 30+yr old cj8 with 10"+ lift, 1tons, and 40s should be the last thing you are thinking about. this is a very exciting pivotal point in your life where you are setting your future in motion. the last thing you want is to spend it greasy, poor, directionless in terms of carreer, alone and living with parents. save your money and your parents money, find a girl who likes beater jeeps, go have a blast in your very-cool-the-way-it-is (pretty damn lucky to have one at 18) cj8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.