Cam selection advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Cam selection advice

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
AughtThree
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Question Cam selection advice

OK, I'm rebuilding a SBC 350 to put into my Jeep Wrangler. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the old cam due to wear and tear, and I need advice on how to select the right cam for my application. I'm building a rock crawler, so I'm looking for my power curve to be in the idle - 5000 rpm range. Here's the specs that I know about my rebuild:

SBC 350 bored .040 over
Stock stroke
Decked .020
Vortec heads (64cc chamber, casting #12558062)
GMPP Vortec low-rise intake (GMPP #12496820)

I know that selecting a cam is complicated, so I'm hoping for a little guidance. Can anyone give me an idea of duration/angle/lift I should be looking for?

Thanks!

AughtThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
55willystruck

You may be better off calling one of the cam builders and speaking with them directly to find the best application for your needs. While it's a totally different setup, I had excellent dealings with Chris Ryan at Comp Cams. He spent literally hours on the phone over several calls and several emails as well helping out with many different issues and thoughts for my rebuild. I ended up with a custom grind and have been very happy with everything from Comp. Here's his contact info:

Thanks,
Chris Ryan

COMP performance group
Technical Department
3406 Democrat Rd.
Memphis,TN 38118
Phone: (901)795-2400 ext 581
Fax: (901)366-1807
cryan@compcams.com
www.compperformancegroup.com

In the past, I had a handful of 350 chev's and ran several different cams in those with various other parts. Too long ago to recall what all I'd done with each but I do remember never being "happy" with any of the cams at that time, at least that I tried. With my calls and emails to Comp, the customer service blew me away then when it came to install and break in, I'm shocked even more so that the first cam with custom grind worked and did exactly what I'd wanted in this engine for this rig. I've recommended him many times now because of this and I think it would be beneficial for you to contact him as well. If nothing else, at least to point you in the right direction.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I was building on the cheap and effective route. Mine came with ugly flat tappet origionally but block was drilled for roller tray. I used an LT1 cam and swappe to full roller. Less drag, slightly larger cam, still keeping in a reasonable range with the power. Fine tuning a cam is the way to go this is true. For budget build i opted for low mileage take out.

Just try to keep your power in the range you will be operating in and you will be happy.
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The old favorite was Comp Cams 268 with a few degrees of advance at the cam. 1-5/8 primary tubes on the headers will keep the torque down low, also run some high-ratio rockers such as 1.7 rollers. All the above tricks with a dual-plane intake is the classic torquer setup, it does everything below 3500 RPM and kicks you in the butt with the torque, its almost like a diesel.
Unread 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
97wrangler-242
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I came here hoping for 4.0 cam choices lol. I also have a sbc though and Pete, I was wondering why you recommend 1.7 rockers for torque down low?
97wrangler-242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I thought of the larger rockers also in my choices but there becomes issues with contact of the valve guides when running larger ratio rocker. I also was under the impression that aftermarket "tall" valve covers would be needed at 1.7, these dont come cheap.
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 View Post
I came here hoping for 4.0 cam choices lol. I also have a sbc though and Pete, I was wondering why you recommend 1.7 rockers for torque down low?
Because the high ratio emphasizes the effects of the short-duration low-overlap cam. Which is basically what you want for torque. It opens the valves farther and quicker, even tho the total time the valve is open, is shorter. It also "makes up" for the short amount of time the port is open, by opening the valve further -larger port opening in a short amoount of time, VS a small port opening in a long overlapping time at higher RPM's. The trick of fitting 1.7 rockers onto SBC's was discovered 25 yrs ago but now they make rockers for that instead of having to modify the BBC rockers. Last I heard, the SBC doesn't need special covers for that, but I could be wrong about the covers.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I had inquired about the 1.7's and the guy said for what I was doing it wasn't fully worth the dollar. My machinist has always been very straightforward on these things. I always use their shop for work and personal builds. The 1.7 even with stock truck cam would have cost me a ridiculous amount not only in the price of rockers but the supporting work to make all of it work together. Different springs to allow the lift without binding, clearance to the guides, and the tall covers were pretty certain. Thinking the largest I could have gone was a 1.6 and I believe that was the Limits of the double spring set I picked.

Depending on how I like my setup I can always 1.6 it later fairly easily without maxing out the springs. So if you keep it all within reason you could do the 1.6.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.