Build option help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Build option help

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
2FFords
1951 M-38 

Cj Build option help

Howdy folks, I was looking for a little advise. I have this M38 (I previsously thought it was a cj) that I am getting ready to re-build,here is the link to the pics and the specs.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/in...cj-3a-1155098/

So I have some options.

I want a v8 power for the reliablity and on road power, and I would like to keep the axles SUA so I can keep the CG lower on the trail. I was thinking maybe some yj style D44s, but it depends on how long y'all think my current axles would last with a light application of the skinny peddle. I would like to run a 33-35" tire and no bigger. Right now its sitting on a custom cut 9" detroit locked and a D27 LS with chevy front disk brakes. Gearing is 5.38. Tires are late 80's bfg mud terrain 32x10.50-15.

I have obtained a corvette LT1 and 4L60E trans, but I also have obtained a late 80s 5.0 ford and I have a c4. I know they will both fit and I think the Chevy is over kill. I would carb the Ford using an Autolite 2100 out of a Bronco but leave the injection on the chevy. The OD on the chevy makes the Warn Overdrive unit in the D18 tc obsolete so I could sell that to help raise some funds. But with the LT1 having 350 FTLBS of torque I wonder if d44s would be enough with 33"+ tires. I would love to have 35s..... And 60's are out of the question.

Im not afraid of the efi or the wiring that goes along with it but the simplisity of the carb sounds really appealing to me. I am also a Ford guy to the bone, although I have now grown up enough to appriciate a chevy. Even though I would rather use the Ford the Chevy is a great engine and the trans is better also.

So what type of combinations would you folks put together here out of this pile of parts I have in my shop??

I would like to set up leaf spring suspension so it only has 2-3" of up travel and lot of droop how would I go about doing that?

Should I be using Willies lift springs or YJs?

Thanks for the info.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.