Blow up my 46re!?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Blow up my 46re!?!?!?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
gigamitch89

Blow up my 46re!?!?!?

Ok, I'm right on the edge of unloading a full clip into this rebuilt tranny and walking away. This has been a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Started when my coolant lines were riding on a crossmember and rubbed a hole into one...leaked out the fluid and cooked the tranny. So not knowing anything about tranny's I pulled it out sent it to be rebuilt then put it back in. I flushed everything first but it didn't dawn on me to replace the torque converter so upon driving I discovered it wouldn't shift properly. So once again I pulled the tranny flushed it again and replaced the torque converter...this time I never even made it out of the driveway. It seems some freak occurance happened with the converter that tore up the front pump. So I ordered a new pump, pulled the tranny, flushed the tranny and installed the pump and once again didn't make it out of the driveway...it seems the pump was missing parts that I didn't notice. So yet again I pulled the tranny, repaired the pump and reinstalled. Then the friggin thing won't start...seems I bumped the crank position sensor this time, so I bought a new cps, installed it and the motor started. Success right...wrong! Now for some crazy reason the tranny won't come out of park! The shifter on the column moves as it should, the cable moves as it should, I pulled the pan and the park rod moves as it should. Even with the motor turned off the vehicle will not roll if you push it while the shifter is in neutral or any other position. I've called 4 tranny shops and none can answer this problem, Ive reached out to everyone I know and they know and none can answer this problem...please tell me that one of you at least has a direction to point me in.

gigamitch89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamitch89 View Post
Ok, I'm right on the edge of unloading a full clip into this rebuilt tranny and walking away. This has been a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Started when my coolant lines were riding on a crossmember and rubbed a hole into one...leaked out the fluid and cooked the tranny. So not knowing anything about tranny's I pulled it out sent it to be rebuilt then put it back in. I flushed everything first but it didn't dawn on me to replace the torque converter so upon driving I discovered it wouldn't shift properly. So once again I pulled the tranny flushed it again and replaced the torque converter...this time I never even made it out of the driveway. It seems some freak occurance happened with the converter that tore up the front pump. So I ordered a new pump, pulled the tranny, flushed the tranny and installed the pump and once again didn't make it out of the driveway...it seems the pump was missing parts that I didn't notice. So yet again I pulled the tranny, repaired the pump and reinstalled. Then the friggin thing won't start...seems I bumped the crank position sensor this time, so I bought a new cps, installed it and the motor started. Success right...wrong! Now for some crazy reason the tranny won't come out of park! The shifter on the column moves as it should, the cable moves as it should, I pulled the pan and the park rod moves as it should. Even with the motor turned off the vehicle will not roll if you push it while the shifter is in neutral or any other position. I've called 4 tranny shops and none can answer this problem, Ive reached out to everyone I know and they know and none can answer this problem...please tell me that one of you at least has a direction to point me in.
I just entered the same situation except I had read enough about our ****ty transmission to not spend a dime on it. I lost all my gears over 2nd so I took it to a shop to make sure it wasn't a solenoid. It wasn't electrical. I would suggest a totally different transmission. I know a lot of people swap in an aw4. I hate jeep crap so I am going to use a gm product. The only problem with that is the adapter plate for a 4l60 to a 4.0 is about 600 bucks. I can buy a 4.3 engine with tranny and transfer case for that. 4.3 is more dependable in my book. I still haven't decided if I will go that route or 5.3 yet but I will not have another jeep tranny in that thing. I think you can get a decent manual tranny for that thing.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 46re is found behind dodge Rams and vans with the 5.9 as well as the grand Cherokee niner.
It would be helpful to know what he has so he can be helped better.

The aw4 isn't a viable swap behind the dodge v8s.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh ok, I missed a few details. I wad having a bad anti-jeep day anyway.
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It sounds like the park pawl is stuck, it could be the rod that operates the pawl is not moving even though the shift rod is moving. Remove the pan and check that the pawl rod is working.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.