BFG red label's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > BFG red label's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
colegrove03

BFG red label's

I have been interested for some time in a set of competition sticky tires and had just a few questions about them. Right now I am looking at buying a set of used 37/12.50/17 BFG krawlers. Tires are said to have 80 miles on them. I assume they are all trail miles. If i do buy these tires and keep them strictly for off road use and NO ROAD DRIVING about what can i expect a set of red label BFG Krawlers last with about 1-2 wheel trips a month? For the most part I am easy on the gas pedal and try to chose better lines. If the tires need to be heated up I don't have a problem with that or bumping.

The thought of using a competition tire is exciting and look forward to seeing the difference in crawling the same trails for a comparison.

colegrove03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have no firsthand experience with them, but know a lot of people who run them.

They wear pretty well for how soft they are. I hear they grip better when they are around 1/4 tread, due to getting some of the carcass on the ground too. They sidewalls are pretty bulletproof as well. Most guys running them that I know don't bother to carry a spare.

I will say this, if you wheel in a very wet area, they might not be for you. They absorb water like a sponge. Which in turn takes a bit longer to dry out. If it's winter and cold enough for that water to freeze, they kinda bring the suck.

However, you will experience much greater grip on the rocks. If my rig wasn't still used on road, I'd get a set and wheel them.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It all depends on the terrain you will be on. If you're wearing the tread down on rocks from spinning the tires, I'm sure they wont last long. I've been people who have had the same Krawlers for a couple of years and they seemed to still have a decent amount of tread.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, you are not going to want to take those tires on the pavement except to load and unload it from a trailer.

I don't know how well your rig is built or how hard you like to push things - but if its only modestly built, those 37" sticky tires have the ability to put a spanking on drive line parts.

A friend of mine made the mistake of flat towing his TJ with a brand new set of 37" sticky's ~135 miles to Johnson Valley/Hammers trails. By the time he got there, there was ~1/4 tread wear left on them and he got only a few more JV runs out of them.

I run a set of 37" sticky's on my POS, and going to 39" sticky's shortly after my 14 bolt is done. I got the 39's from a good friend used.

As far as longevity of wear goes - I have seen them last a few seasons at JV when wheeled hard with the occasional failure. I have 1 sticky with a ~3" sidewall tear in it that's salvageable with a patch & tube that could be used as a spare.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
colegrove03

Thanks for the information! That is interesting to hear about the wet and them absorbing water some. I live in Nashville TN and we have a large amount of rocks here but when it rains we can see a fair amount of mud depending on where you wheel during the wet season. And glade to hear they can last a little longer than 1 season. To be honest if I get a solid season out of the tires I think I'll be happy. Also my jeep is very well built and are running a set of front and rear Dynatrac a les.
image-1757408131.jpg  
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
jason m

They suck in the slop, once they get caked up there just round donuts. But keep them out of the mud/slop and there a perfect tire for rocks. I had a set when they first came out and had to give them back to my friend, but the traction is unreal.
You dont even need to spin the tire just slow peddle them up the rock and they grip, when its hot and the rocks are hot also its like having super glue for tires, lol.

Sidewalls are there weak spot, this is where a Irok will out last a red lable but there just no way it can compete, no way. They do dry crack alot and normally a set last for 4-5 years and at 550 a tire for new ones its a expensive wear parts.

OP how do you know the tires have 80 miles on them, most if not all who use them would never get them on the road so how can they claim its only "80" miles.
Most judge them buy tread depth, maybe there 80% used. The less lug the better, I would still love to get a set that was even 50-40% teread life left, once the corners round off they grip like glue.

Due to there sticky nature buy design there are very hard on drive train parts, so expect alot more dammage or Mant. to go along with the use of them.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
colegrove03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
They suck in the slop, once they get caked up there just round donuts. But keep them out of the mud/slop and there a perfect tire for rocks. I had a set when they first came out and had to give them back to my friend, but the traction is unreal.
You dont even need to spin the tire just slow peddle them up the rock and they grip, when its hot and the rocks are hot also its like having super glue for tires, lol.

Sidewalls are there weak spot, this is where a Irok will out last a red lable but there just no way it can compete, no way. They do dry crack alot and normally a set last for 4-5 years and at 550 a tire for new ones its a expensive wear parts.

OP how do you know the tires have 80 miles on them, most if not all who use them would never get them on the road so how can they claim its only "80" miles.
Most judge them buy tread depth, maybe there 80% used. The less lug the better, I would still love to get a set that was even 50-40% teread life left, once the corners round off they grip like glue.

Due to there sticky nature buy design there are very hard on drive train parts, so expect alot more dammage or Mant. to go along with the use of them.

Jason.
Thanks so much for the honest review man! I'm not 100% sure how he assume they have 80 miles on them. I'll check the tread depth with my gauge once I get there but he assures they have very little wear. I have read that the sidewalks are the weak point and being they will be an extra set of wheels worst case I can patch them I guess. I am currently running Toyo's and I have abuse these tires sidewalls with slices and thankfully have had no major holes yet. I'll just have to be more careful with the BFG tires then! And damn 4/5 years on a set of stickies will make me happy if they do indeed last me that long. All my other sports I have done and used sticky tires have only lasted a few races! I also will be ready for more maintenance on my jeep while running them. To be honest I wondered if running a 37in sticky on my Dynatrac Ultimate 44 with rcv's would still be too much for it. I'm sure this will be pushing my axle to the max but I'll be careful! I like to wheel slow and steady and actually crawl so I think I'll be fine! At least I'll keep my fingered crossed!
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you remember, let us know how it goes with a 44 and a set of stickies. I wouldn't trust it but that's just me. I've been wrong before and am interested in seeing how much if any carnage you have.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
colegrove03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559
If you remember, let us know how it goes with a 44 and a set of stickies. I wouldn't trust it but that's just me. I've been wrong before and am interested in seeing how much if any carnage you have.
For sure man! I will let you know how it goes. Worse case I fix it but I am putting lots of faith in my Front and rear Dynatrac axles and hope they don't let me down! Plus I don't drive like an idiot so I think it will be ok. Wish me luck! Haha
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
jason m

44's will work but dont let the tires slip or atleast keep the spinning down to a min. and they should last, the axles that is. I wouldn't get the 39's and trust them with 44's but the 37s will work.

One thing you will find out is the tire will work so well it puts the rig where you want it with very little tire slip, but ( two things ) it force's the axles to really work and once you get those tires spinning and they catch tractoin then watch out

Dont shy away from the tires for there size, I run front and rear steering 60's and would not for a minute even consider not running a 37" red lable, heck if they made them in 35" I would still run them. Its not there size its the traction that they offer.

Oh and dont wheel in the mud or if its was wet, again they suck once cacked up.
Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a set of 37x12.50R17 sticky Trepadors. They're a great tire, wheeled them all through the slop in New England and they clear as well as anything I've seen. Excellent traction on all surfaces wet or dry. Only other tire I've seen Come close in performance is the SX. Their sidewall is marginally better but they don't provide the same traction the Treps. I ran them on some stout Dana 44's cautiously as I could, axles still held up when I needed to grab the skinny pedal.

Goods news for you, I'm bumping up to the 40" Treps so they're for sale with 10 runs on them. 4 in basically new condition, 5th has never been mounted. I won't turn this into a classified thread, PM me for details

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why not go with the Blue Labels? You'll get a helluva lot more life out of them and you won't have to cringe every time you touch the pavement with them. I know that the traction is better with the Reds, but are you running them for competition of just recreation? I just began running a set of 39" Blues and can't believe how much better they are than my previous STTs.
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
colegrove03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
44's will work but dont let the tires slip or atleast keep the spinning down to a min. and they should last, the axles that is. I wouldn't get the 39's and trust them with 44's but the 37s will work.

One thing you will find out is the tire will work so well it puts the rig where you want it with very little tire slip, but ( two things ) it force's the axles to really work and once you get those tires spinning and they catch tractoin then watch out

Dont shy away from the tires for there size, I run front and rear steering 60's and would not for a minute even consider not running a 37" red lable, heck if they made them in 35" I would still run them. Its not there size its the traction that they offer.

Oh and dont wheel in the mud or if its was wet, again they suck once cacked up.
Jason.
Thanks so much again Jason for sharing all your personal experience with the BFG Krawlers. I think between my Dynatrac axles and style of wheeling I should be fine to wheel with 37in stickies too! The main thing that makes me reconsider the BFG tires are the fact that they struggle in the mud.. The fact is here in TN we have mud all over the place unless its the really dry season but that never seems to last long. I read a lot on how the Maxxis Trepadors pretty much do well in most all conditions and it sounds like the sidewalls are a bit stronger also. Maxxis was my first choice in the beginning and if all goes well I'm going to try and grab a set if I can.
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
colegrove03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi
I have a set of 37x12.50R17 sticky Trepadors. They're a great tire, wheeled them all through the slop in New England and they clear as well as anything I've seen. Excellent traction on all surfaces wet or dry. Only other tire I've seen Come close in performance is the SX. Their sidewall is marginally better but they don't provide the same traction the Treps. I ran them on some stout Dana 44's cautiously as I could, axles still held up when I needed to grab the skinny pedal.

Goods news for you, I'm bumping up to the 40" Treps so they're for sale with 10 runs on them. 4 in basically new condition, 5th has never been mounted. I won't turn this into a classified thread, PM me for details
PM sent!
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
colegrove03

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998
Why not go with the Blue Labels? You'll get a helluva lot more life out of them and you won't have to cringe every time you touch the pavement with them. I know that the traction is better with the Reds, but are you running them for competition of just recreation? I just began running a set of 39" Blues and can't believe how much better they are than my previous STTs.
I am more interested in a straight competition tire. Not racing my jeep but will only be a dedicated trail only tire. You won't see me on the road with them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.