Axle Welding - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Axle Welding

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #31
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Great axle, just hate the very low pinion angle and the increased angle of the rear driveshaft from it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #32
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Again, you offer no answers to help prevent this from happening in the future.

The factory plug welds fail due to one side being able to rotate more than the other. This has been attributed to loose U-bolts, rounded off spring perches, etc. When one side is allowed to rotate, the welds are stressed on that side. Once those are broke free, it does not take much to break loose the other side.
A quick fix as he has done, is to rotate the center section back to where it belongs and weld the tubes to the housing.

This will work until a stronger axle is located and swapped in. I would not run the repaired axle any longer than I had to if it was a daily driver. If its a weekend wheeler, then longer is fine. Just be prepared to do a trail fix if the welds fail (carbon tube to cast welds, unless done properly with the correct rod tend to fail on the housing side.)

On the two I have repaired for others, the weld joint was cleaned, then preheated to 250° on the housing side. E309L rod was used for the weld. One of the axles was done almost 5 years ago, the other just over 2 years ago. Both are holding up fine.

May I ask why you would be using a stainless steel filler to weld a cast steel axle? If youre going to stick weld cast the electrode should have NI (nickel) in front of the numbers if you are welding on cast steel or iron. Regular grey cast steel though you can get by with some regular old ER70 6010/7018 but def not stainless filler metal.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Are you aware that stainless rod is mostly nickel? 309L works very well for joining dissimilar metals (Cast housing, carbon steel axle tube.) It is very ductile and will not crack.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #34
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Are you aware that stainless rod is mostly nickel? 309L works very well for joining dissimilar metals (Cast housing, carbon steel axle tube.) It is very ductile and will not crack.
Not for a root pass it isn't that well. I've done plenty of welding on dissimilar metals. I could list all my experience and certifications but a dick measuring contest never proved anything.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Were not doing a 6" 600 flange here. Its a POS axle. I was not going to go out and buy a 20# box of rod for 4 rods. I used what I had in my oven. They have yet to break any of them.

I guess I could of flexed the rig out so I could make use of my 6G.....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.