Axle Welding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Axle Welding

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
RedCJ83
1983 CJ7 

Axle Welding

So as I'm driving down a neighborhood street, yes, I'm embarrassed, snap the center diff spins about 1/2" on the tubes of my AMC 20. Through much effort we've managed to move it about 1/4", but now it really seems stuck. Nothing is leaking and the tubes seem straight. I've got too much invested in entirely brand new internals to walk away from this axle and Dana 44's don't grow on trees around here. So I've got to get this straightened out. Here's the latest idea; Tell me what I'm missing:

1) We will cut off the spring perches, move them 1/4", effectivley "rotating" the axle and remount them. The vent tube will not be pointing down or even straight out, we will weld the tubes, install a truss, and we will relocate the brake line mount to the truss.

2) Plan on doing all of this without disassembling the axle: we plan on welding about 2-3 inches on one side, then switch to the other to control tempature. Any concerns about ruining any of the internals because we are not breaking down the axle?

RedCJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Would it be easier to strip the internals then pull the entire axle out and heat the tubes to rotate them back if you have a reference point and then weld them? This is how I would do so since you need to strip most of the internals to weld the tubes anyways.

Whatever way you fix it please post up what you did. I'd love to see some pics of now and the fix.
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I'd want that thing put in an alignment jig at this point

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
I'd want that thing put in an alignment jig at this point
If all the tubes did is rotate a jig is overkill to me. Now if they split then yes I agree or completely new tubes need installed.
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

in my limited experience i've seen them spin and slide out instead of just spinning.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
jason m
your ad here...

Your not going to like this answer but I would get an other axle and start fresh. I had a 14 bolt spin years ago, wasn't worth the effort to repair it.

Once you move a tube from a factory press fit it will never be the same, the plug welds dont hold the tubes in place they are only ment to keep the tube from spinning.
So you cracked the plug welds and spun the tube, so now what happend is the factory bond ( the few thousands press fit ) is gone to some degree. Yes the tube is still in place but its not going to be 100% no matter what you do.

You can get it close but it will never be the same and judging from how much you built this axle I'm guessing you built it to rely on it. Can you safely say after the repair it will be what you expect.

Its a AMC 20, there are probally a few at a local junkyard. To me its worth finding another one plus the AMC 20's are prone to have weak center section, so whats next with the current axle.
Get a new one, clean it up, install old parts into new axle and weld the tubes.

This is why every build I see I tell peaple weld your axle tubes to the housing. It gives you that extra security out of an axle, some listen some dont.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
jambojeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get an angle finder and a bottle Jack. Jack up the pinion till it meets your angle required while its still in the jeep. Weld the axle tubes. Or get another amc 20.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have it out and on a jig as well, if it was me. I say pull it and fix it correctly.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
jambojeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As long as there is no deflection in the tubes and its level you'll be fine. Make sure the tubes haven't shifted out of the housing too
Unread 11-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambojeep View Post
As long as there is no deflection in the tubes and its level you'll be fine. Make sure the tubes haven't shifted out of the housing too
When a tube spins it moves, it might have moved a 1/16" or maybe more, how can you say the tube hasn't moved it did in a twiting action.

OP its a AMC 20, find another one. Weld the tubes this time maybe even a small truss lock it in from with a fresh axle and prevent this, dont try and save junk.

Jason.

Unread 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
jambojeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spinning and sliding are different. It spun yes. It might have shifted out of the housing yes, but if it didn't just reset the housing and weld it. The deflection, talking axle tubes not being parralell, is dependent upon if the axle tubes shifted from the housing or if they are bent. Get a tape measure and level out and figure out what's the deal with the axle. Rotating the pinion with a bottle Jack and welding the tubes is a bit easier than putting a new One in.
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambojeep View Post
Spinning and sliding are different. It spun yes. It might have shifted out of the housing yes, but if it didn't just reset the housing and weld it. The deflection, talking axle tubes not being parralell, is dependent upon if the axle tubes shifted from the housing or if they are bent. Get a tape measure and level out and figure out what's the deal with the axle. Rotating the pinion with a bottle Jack and welding the tubes is a bit easier than putting a new One in.
I know trust me I spun a 14 bolt many years ago.

Again once the factory tube spins how can you trust it wont again. Yes the housing can get welded back to the tubes, but how can it be trusted.
Again welding the tubes to the center section is only used to prevent them from spinning not locking them in place.
Once a tube spins its lost its factory press fit, yes its still a press fit but what got lost when it spun free?

Thats why I said its a model 20 there a dime a dozen, pull all your parts swap it over to a fresh housing, weld the tubes, add a truss and call it good. The OP hasn't responded to his own thread so we dont know how he fixed it, something you want to trust and keep get another easy to find axle and start over.
Its not my axle or anyone else's so really I could care less how he/she fix's it, i'm just speaking on experence.

Jason.

Unread 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
sjsst41
1978 CJ7 

I agree with Jason - it's an AMC 20 - should be able to find a donated housing, move over your parts, stitch weld the tubes to the diff center & call it good.
sjsst41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
lifeisgood916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey

Dang! That's a bummer, might i suggest a d44 though, do the work once,
lifeisgood916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Mine did this awhile back....

The welds snapped on the spring perches. The axle was rotated back into place and the perches were re-welded.

I then built a traction bar to help keep it strait in the future.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.