Axle decisions HELP! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Axle decisions HELP!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Could, would, should...

Could a Dana 44 hold up to 40's - sure - for a while. The limiting issue would be the ears on the shafts and the 760 u-joint. The 60's have a 1480. Look up the Dana 60 Bible. There is some great side by side shots of the two.

Would a Dana 44 hold up with 40's...they could in Colorado if you are mall crawlin and trail riding. Why 40's? If you are running Holy Cross, Carnage, Billings, Indy, Chinaman, etc...Then no. Too much stress = broken D44.

Should ... For the very reason you speculate at a crate axle... a D44 could turn the 40's, but will leave you wrenching on the trail at some point. It will break. Do you want to fix it in the middle of an obstacle? If you are willing to do so, then ok. I know some are.

In Colorado I have come accross all types of rigs. D44's with big meats etc... But be ware of what you are asking of your equipment and what you are willing to do to fix it.

I am not sure what you are seeing on CO4x4 but there is a reason D44's are so prevalent. People build past them in this state. I have seen people running 37's on a 44, but no 40's.

I understand the conundrum. Spend big money on crate axles, or junk yard it... Why go with a G2 Rock Jock? Call Currie and get a real Rock Jock. Genuine Gear (G2) out of Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts is not Currie. Dynatrac is an outstanding company.

On a side note, not even Currie or Dynatrac advertises their Dana 44's or 9" axles for larger than a 35" tire.

Going out on a limb, if you live in Eagle you either have the money to go with crate axles or you are a worker bee like me. There are plenty of wheelers in the Vail Valley, Summit, Leadville, etc... that may be more than willing to have a wrenching party just for the sake of doing so.

Do you have a group you wheel with? I know there are plenty of wheelers in the area doing one ton swaps etc...

If it is even a consideration, go with the crates!
Not exactly all correct.... And Im not saying that a D60 shouldn't be built for 40s either BUT....
The Dana 44s talked about here are non-JK 44s. A JK 44 is quite a different story than a Rubi or even old Ford hp44. JK 44s have a MUCH larger pinion, thicker ring gear, larger shafts both inner and outer, larger yokes and ujoints, and better brakes.... Find one of these and throw a Pro-Rock housing on it and its a whole new ball game than past D44s. Add a set of RCVs and DynaTrac ball joints and you're stronger in many areas than a stock D60. Now this will all cost the builder but if on can source a junk yard JK Rubicon 44 and have some fab skills or a friend that does, the build will be hell for stout and cost much, much less than that 8k quote for a built D60 from DynaTrac!
Oh, and DynaTrac does recommend their Pro Rock 44 for 37s

CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
Not exactly all correct.... And Im not saying that a D60 shouldn't be built for 40s either BUT....
The Dana 44s talked about here are non-JK 44s. A JK 44 is quite a different story than a Rubi or even old Ford hp44. JK 44s have a MUCH larger pinion, thicker ring gear, larger shafts both inner and outer, larger yokes and ujoints, and better brakes.... Find one of these and throw a Pro-Rock housing on it and its a whole new ball game than past D44s. Add a set of RCVs and DynaTrac ball joints and you're stronger in many areas than a stock D60. Now this will all cost the builder but if on can source a junk yard JK Rubicon 44 and have some fab skills or a friend that does, the build will be hell for stout and cost much, much less than that 8k quote for a built D60 from DynaTrac!
Oh, and DynaTrac does recommend their Pro Rock 44 for 37s
Or just get a 60/14 bolt and now you know for sure you can handle 39" tires with little effort. Add a set of 35 spine dana 70 stubs and some drive flanges your good to go to 42"s.
Plus your not on a dana 44's any more, now you have a set of axle's that can move from rig to rig and something now worthy of dumping money into.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If that's good for you then amen brother
But not everybody wants or needs a 60/14 combo. Some people choose to keep their Jeep lighter and lower and will use 44s as far as they can and then when more is needed go to a 9"
As I said I'm not saying one shouldn't go to a 60 for 40s just that there are other ways that are as strong, won't break, be lighter, and as you know are wheeled in the toughest trails all over the US... Heck, how many D30s are out there right now on 37s and living?
It's more about putting good parts in your Jeep, keeping it light, and wheeling smart. But if you want a heavy and tall pig cool
There are other ways though. Its crazy how good the tech has come for our Jeeps thanks to the vendors right here on this forum! It use to be that huge axles were what you needed to do tires over a certain size but not anymore. If one takes the time to build axles right it's amazing what they are standing up to now! Take a Ruby 44, stock its weak as he!! But take that same Ruby 44 and sleeve it, beef up its suspension mounting hardware and use JJs, use good ball joints, throw in a ARB, some Superior gears and a set of RCVs and you can wheel all day long on any trail on 37s! Its all about how you build it and how you wheel.
Again if 60s and 14b's work for you cool but I don't see the trade off for their weight or size
Unread 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
jason m

When the JK 44's prove they can handle 40" tires over years of abuse then I might buy into the fact that they can handle 40's, till then run what works.

A 9" what? A 9" with 60 outers, and at what cost is the OP willing to spend or any one for that matter.
And how is the Jeep lower on a smaller axle??? Do you mean the thickness of the tubbing, not sure what you mean buy that, Lighter I get, lower???

Can you show me a KOH buggy that runs a JK 44, or a buggy or even a well abused Jeep running 39" plus tires in the rocks that have JK 44's. Ive never seeen one, I bet theres a ton of mall crawlers that pull it off but i'm asking about built trails rigs than run 40's.

How can a balljoint thats not ment to carry a one ton load compare to a balljoint ment to handle a one ton plus load and I'm not even talking about a KP axle, witch can handle the leverage of a large tire and the weaght that comes along with it.

And we are not talking about Rubi 44's and what thier limits are plus if we are look at the money spent to polish that axle just to get it to handle ( maybe 37's ) alot of abuse. Heck look at the money spent you need to make the JK 44 handle a 39"+ tire and theres no proven track record that they even can.

And last but not least is with a 60/14 bolt or a 60/10.25 or even a 60/70 combo you have set of axles worth moving into another axle. Most wont take the Rubi 44s or their JK 44's and install them into a buggy or another Jeep.
But there are plenty who have moved there one tons around from rig to rig.

Jason.

Unread 01-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Im sorry, I thought the OP had a YJ not a buggy or a KOH car.... My bad, you win!
OP, please disregard my comments and do not buy that perfectly good DynaTrac 60 or build a Pro Rock 44 to go with it. Run out and buy a KP 60 for the front and a 14 bolt or better yet a D70 for the rear. But when you have to throw 6" of lift to get the articulation out of them or chop up the body of your Jeep to get them to work right don't say I didn't tell you so, cause everyone on this forum wants a buggy or a KOH car right????
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #21
jason m

Quote:
Im sorry, I thought the OP had a YJ not a buggy or a KOH car.... My bad, you win!
OP, please disregard my comments and do not buy that perfectly good DynaTrac 60 or build a Pro Rock 44 to go with it. Run out and buy a KP 60 for the front and a 14 bolt or better yet a D70 for the rear. But when you have to throw 6" of lift to get the articulation out of them or chop up the body of your Jeep to get them to work right don't say I didn't tell you so, cause everyone on this forum wants a buggy or a KOH car right????
He or she hasn't bought a buggy or a KOH car, but we all base our thinking on what works for the most exteme in this sport which is a buggy or a KOH rig.

And when did I say a Dynatrac 60 was a bad axle??? I said a 60 and a 14 bolt, so it could be a Dynatrac 60 front and a 14 bolt rear, right.

And you got a lot to learn if you think you need 6"s of lift to get the right articulation, a lot of us pulled off the one ton swap with less and have low capable rigs.

I win what? Didn't know we were keeping score, I was talking about what axle's ive seen last and what I have seen blow up time after time.
Seen a lot of polished axles out there sproting tires they were not ment for, so my point was when a BUILT JK 44 can handle a 39+ inch tire and can "last" ( key word last ) then I will put them in the one ton slot till then, na.

Jason.

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
Plus your not on a dana 44's any more, now you have a set of axle's that can move from rig to rig and something now worthy of dumping money into.

Jason.
If you have a set of axles that were in a vehicle, and the owner decides to sell the axles to install into another like vehicle, those axles would appeal to more people as a bolt-in option. Even if they are not tons.
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
she is planning to run 40's. not 35's here. she already needs a lot of lift and chopping and extra wheel base and width to make that size tire work.

i've seen plenty of 9" gear sets explode, i've seen a few broken third members, i've seen a couple snapped jk44 housings already. they aren't axles i'd trust on over a 38" tire even with all the best you can thow at them.

we know you can trust a stock hp60 and 14b at that tire size, we know they can be purchased and built from used units at a reasonably economical price, we know that swapping them into a yj is about as simple as it gets. suggesting buying a jk44, at a premium price mind you, then cutting all the brackets off. sleeving the weak tubes, trussing it, and THEN gearing it(jk44 gears are still expensive compared to d60/14b) and adding alloy shafts....well. seems a dumb way to spend anyone's money.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

40s don't take a lot of lift or chopping.... And I'm sure you've seen D60s let go to????
I personally would rather keep it low and light but this is not my thread so I don't want to confuse, bicker, or hi-jack....
I said from the beginning I was not saying to not put 60s in there but only that there were other choices and I also said that it would cost her. But to some the cost is not as important as the outcome and would never run junk yard axles as you know....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.