Axle decisions HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Axle decisions HELP!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
kiowas99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Axle decisions HELP!

Want to put some axles in the YJ for obvious stock reasons. Being a female, I know when something is over my head- and getting an axle built is it. So want to get one made already and have a friend help mount them.

For the rear-I have found an unused 8 year old trail series (not pro rock, so less clearance) Dyanatrac 60 w 4.88 and ARB, with drums. 35 spline, 1541 alloy shafts, 60in WMS. This for $2500. Originally bought for a Bronco, so not sure if I'd have small changes like perches, yoke, etc- but that seems minor. Would you see any concerns for an 8 years old unused axle??

For comparason I'd consider a new G2 rock jock 60, w 4.88, alloy shaft, ARB from 4wd.com. that run about $2800. This would be better clearance though.

For the front- I'll just keep looking for a matching 44 with locker and gears already in. Can't be that hard to find....

What do you all think? Is this a steal or not worth it at all???? I don't have too many to ask- so please help me out!!! I need to decide soon!!!

Thanks for helping a gal out!!

kiowas99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
93_bigbadxj

Dropping that much money on a rear axle is ridiculous! What size tires are you wanting to run?
The rear axle as in Dana 60, sterling 10.25, or 14bolt is what I would run and spend maybe 5-700 tops for locker. The front would be Dana 60 with arb so your lookin close to 2k there. No way I would spend 2500 on a rear axle and run only a Dana 44 in front. That's just my opinion.
93_bigbadxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
kiowas99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to run 40's probably at most, one of the few reasons I was told to avoid a 60 up front. Although I was really considering it for a while. My next problem would be finding a an axle within a reasonable not overly wide that would fit without a ton of shortening and fabrication. I wish we had a local shop to help advise and trust to install...
Unread 12-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Wait...someone told you to avoid a D60 up front when you want to run 40s? Don't know if I'd listen to them again.

I mean you could completely deck out a Rubi44 up front and it would probably hold up to 40s. But for the money that would take, I'd go with a D60. However, the Rubi44 aren't going to be much wider than what you got now.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you want to have set up crate axles the Dynatrac's and Rock Jock's are great choices. Just expensive. The crate axle will cut down on your install and fabrication efforts.

That Dynatrac set up for the Bronco is a fine axle. The thing is, unless the perches are the same, cutting those off and welding on new perches and shock tabs is exactly what an axle swap entails if you go with a 1 ton rear end out of a truck. The one ton rears like 14 bolt, full float dana 60, Sterling 10.25 are all great axles and can be had for far less money. You can find those all over in Colorado. Eagle may be harder, not sure of where your nearest junk yard is.

All that being said, the steering axle is hard part and generally far more expensive around here. Those things get scooped up out of the junk yards around hear and are sold at a premium. Many will require a lot of work or if they are set up will be $$$.

If you are bothering to go one ton in the rear I would not stick with the D44 up front. There are D44 / Dana 60 combos out there if you worried about clearance under the pumpkin, but if you are running 40's that won't be a problem. If you are building for 37's that is another story. Building up a D44/D60 will take fabrications skills or a ton of cash from Dynatrac.

The Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear is solid set up for 40's. You can crate the front to cut down fab skills/time and pick up a 14 bolt easily and weld on new perches. Or call one of the previously mentioned builders and lay down some $$$ on front and rear 60's.

Check out Colorado4x4.org. People are always selling axles on there and you may find some all set up for a YJ.

Axle swaps are generally not cheap or easy. What's under the YJ right now? Dana 30/35 combo?
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_bigbadxj View Post
Dropping that much money on a rear axle is ridiculous! What size tires are you wanting to run?
The rear axle as in Dana 60, sterling 10.25, or 14bolt is what I would run and spend maybe 5-700 tops for locker. The front would be Dana 60 with arb so your lookin close to 2k there. No way I would spend 2500 on a rear axle and run only a Dana 44 in front. That's just my opinion.
she already stated she doesnt want to build junkyard assemblies so your figures are hopelessly optimistic. a built front 60 with locker will be more then "close to 2k."
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dynatrac quoted me 8 grand for a front 60 two weeks ago.
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

IMO a 44 will never hold up to 40's, I've seen to many break with 35's.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
kiowas99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I have been keeping my eye for some years on CL and the colorado4x4. I'm just at the point I don't know how to pick materials individually to be made/built nor do I know the cost or even have someone put it together- hence I'm hoping to found a built one, maybe a crate. I guess I'm falling into the decision of a crate G2 Rock Jock 60 - which I've read good and bad reviews. I know they use set 10 bearings, and their cust service is awful (I've called and I agree- they suck). But otherwise found this Bronco axle Dynatrac 60 Trail series, also with set 10 maybe 20 bearings (not proRock series) I first mentioned-$2500. Not convinced its the best yet...
I know the front can cost a ton crates- but feel they are easier to find (at least in 44 application) Would a 44 front trussed and with alloys be ok for the 40's- again I read many diff reviews there. As the front 60 already built has been VERY hard to find in a driver drop!!!
Thanks again fellas!!
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i know you don't want to do salvage, but it's really the best course for money savings. with a yj you can swap in a 79 f250/350 hp60 in the front with very little extra fabrication. ruff stuff sells a nice set of simple swap kits for those axles and the yj. it's literally one spring perch, two shock mounts and a track bar mount.
you can find bnib or lightly used gear sets for nice prices at pirate, lockers are always coming up used over there as well, and a new install kit. you can have a front axle ready to rock 40's for under 2500. if you're patient you can probably get it done for under 2000.
no matter what you do to a dana44 it will never hold up to trail riding on 40's. it's on borrowed time when running 37's with fully upgraded shafts and a good locker. a STOCK hp60 can easily deal with 40" tires for most people.

for the rear, nothing beats a 14bolt for strength vs cost. as finding a 35spl d60 isn't even remotely easy. once again, it's a matter of two spring perches and a pair of shock mounts and you're in.
there's other good options out there, like the sterling 10.25 and 10.5 axles found under 90's f250's and super duty trucks, or the venerable dana 70u. there's also the very rare and very strong eaton ho72 that is probably the best rear axle ever made for a 3/4 to 1 ton truck.
you should REALLY REALLY reconsider trying to stay stock width when attempting to run 40's and above. the taller you go the wider and longer your stance NEEDS to be to be stable and safe.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could, would, should...

Could a Dana 44 hold up to 40's - sure - for a while. The limiting issue would be the ears on the shafts and the 760 u-joint. The 60's have a 1480. Look up the Dana 60 Bible. There is some great side by side shots of the two.

Would a Dana 44 hold up with 40's...they could in Colorado if you are mall crawlin and trail riding. Why 40's? If you are running Holy Cross, Carnage, Billings, Indy, Chinaman, etc...Then no. Too much stress = broken D44.

Should ... For the very reason you speculate at a crate axle... a D44 could turn the 40's, but will leave you wrenching on the trail at some point. It will break. Do you want to fix it in the middle of an obstacle? If you are willing to do so, then ok. I know some are.

In Colorado I have come accross all types of rigs. D44's with big meats etc... But be ware of what you are asking of your equipment and what you are willing to do to fix it.

I am not sure what you are seeing on CO4x4 but there is a reason D44's are so prevalent. People build past them in this state. I have seen people running 37's on a 44, but no 40's.

I understand the conundrum. Spend big money on crate axles, or junk yard it... Why go with a G2 Rock Jock? Call Currie and get a real Rock Jock. Genuine Gear (G2) out of Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts is not Currie. Dynatrac is an outstanding company.

On a side note, not even Currie or Dynatrac advertises their Dana 44's or 9" axles for larger than a 35" tire.

Going out on a limb, if you live in Eagle you either have the money to go with crate axles or you are a worker bee like me. There are plenty of wheelers in the Vail Valley, Summit, Leadville, etc... that may be more than willing to have a wrenching party just for the sake of doing so.

Do you have a group you wheel with? I know there are plenty of wheelers in the area doing one ton swaps etc...

If it is even a consideration, go with the crates!
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

East coast gear supply is also a good place to call they build custom axles.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
kiowas99
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I was seriously orginally considering a 60 up front- and now am back to that drawing board and am convinced to go w a 60 up front. Thank you all! My entire point to even doing an axle swap is to never have to worry as much about whats going to break underneath when pushed in Moab. I'd like to feel "comfortable" pushing it at times- that's why the ditch of the current setup.
And ratmonkey- did you mean to say to try to stay stock witdh or should I be looking wider?? I'd love to stretch it some but not sure what that entails.
And Jeepin72- you nailed it, I work a ton of jobs so I can go out and play in the spare time. I don't belong to any local groups/clubs. Know of any? I'd love to meet up with you guys sometime. This is a dream project, that I certainly know when to say- its over my head.
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Look to be going wider. If you find some full width axles, leave them that way. The extra width is good for stability.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are quite a few of us in your general area. As far as organized local club, I am not aware of one. We often wheel together and wrench together. Check out my build thread and Hoovail build thread: Sleeper Built Stocker. Out of our group we are the most active on JF.

It may give you an idea of what the two of us are up to. I am in the middle of a one ton swap right now. Not really a complete "junkyard" job, but certainly not crates! Both axles were sourced from trucks, but I didn't pull them. We might be able to cross paths in the future!

Last edited by Jeepin72; 12-06-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Info
Jeepin72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.