ax-15 swap and torque converter code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > ax-15 swap and torque converter code

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
rmallory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ax-15 swap and torque converter code

Swapped out a 32rh for an ax15. I get the torque converter code, so I have ordered two ecu's from a salvage yard in Denver. Both have resulted in immediate start up but then shut down after about 3 seconds. Blogs suggest problem is ecu's came off wranglers with sentry systems and is looking for chipped key and VIN codes. Jeep is 2000 wrangler with ecu 56041658af. The replacements have been 56041652ae and af respectively which are 2000 MT ecus's fed emissions. Any way to confirm problem is security system issue and not something else. Any way to know ahead of time if an ecu came off a non-security system vehicle. Any other solutions to the problem? Thanks in advance.

rmallory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The ecus for security and non security equipped jeeps are the same part number. what happens is when the security module is plugged in the ECU will permanently "bind" to it and do the 3-5 second shutdown if the security module is removed or the ECU is place in a vehicle without one.

Easiest way to tell is the security equipped models will have a grey key, other than that if you pull the steering column apart you will see the security module/receiver around the ignition switch.

There is no known way to undo an ECUs security requirements once its been activated.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
rmallory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, the problem I have is the salvage yard that has them is an hour and 1/2 driving distance and they have parted out their vehicles without documenting what options they had. They can't tell me if the ecu they are sending is activated for security or not and I am assuming they are when they start up but then shut down after 3 seconds. It would seem an ecu from a security activated jeep can't be used on any other jeep or is their a way to reprogram a security activated ecu to a different VIN, etc? I ask because I can't help but wonder if the salvage yard has a bunch of security activated ecu's left over that they want to unload and the only way to resolve is to drive up there and test a bunch until I find one that works.
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you could always just add the security system to yours, the wiring is already in place you just need the receiver, the keys, and the keys programed
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
rmallory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
you could always just add the security system to yours, the wiring is already in place you just need the receiver, the keys, and the keys programed
I would need the key and the receiver from the vehicle the ecu came out of as the ecu is linked to that specific chipped key and receiver. My understanding is that once the ecu is linked, only way to undo it is to reprogram the ecu which isn't cheap to have done. The salvage yard I am dealing with did not keep keys and receivers and can't tell me if ecu is security enabled or not. I decided to send my ecu to http://www.autocomputerperformance.com/ and pay to have it reprogrammed and security disabled. Will cost $150. I will post after I get it back and report if it works or not.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
rmallory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got the reprogrammed ecu back from http://www.autocomputerperformance.com/ After install, everything works and no CE lights. Kind of pricey, but it is working. Will post again after longer period of time to confirm stability.
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

might have been easier to get the original system reprogrammed to eliminate the automatic options.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
rmallory
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of wheelin' and several tanks of gas. No codes. All is working well. Everyone I talked to has said an ecu for an automatic cannot be programmed to a manual. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.