JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Advanced Jeep Tech (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/)
-   -   AX 15 swap gone bad (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/ax-15-swap-gone-bad-1534086/)

rmallory 06-09-2013 12:42 AM

AX 15 swap gone bad

Hi, I have been reading articles from this forum but have never posted. Hope I do this right.

My son has a 2000 TJ bought about a year ago already lifted. The engine is not original and appears from a 95 Wrangler (4L, but older type). Don't know what the original transmission was but it is now mated to a 32RH. My son wanted a manual as the 3-speed automatic doesn't have OD. With 6" lift, 35" tires and 410 gear set, it runs 3500 rpm's on the highway. He also just prefers manual. I found an AX-15 from a "96 Cherokee at a junk yard and pulled it. We have installed it successfully (had to re-clock the mounting holes for the NP 231 TC). However, the AX-15 does not appear to have any place to attach the crank position sensor. After install, I tried to crank it and the engine turns over but it won't start. Not sure if I have an unrelated problem with fuel pump, spark, or if the problem is due to the PCM looking for data from the 32RH and/or not able to get timing due to absence of position sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rmallory 06-09-2013 07:42 AM

As I searched for answers, I realized my problem was looking for a location to install the CPS from my 32RH onto the AX-15. When I saw a picture of the correct CPS, it suddenly dawned on me that when I pulled the AX-15, I had removed the CPS and tossed it into a box of "things I may need" and then forgotten all about it. Sure enough, when I rummaged through my box, there it was! I am still curious to know if the absence of a CPS is sufficient to explain why the engine will turn over, but not crank (sounds like it is getting no spark at all). I will install the CPS later today and see what happens. Thx.

rmallory 06-09-2013 07:55 AM

One more request; the AX-15 sits over the opening on the floor board slightly forward of the center of the cover plate obstructing the ability to get into 1st, 3rd and 5th. I can remedy this by cutting out the cover plate to allow more clearance, but I suspect that will put the shift shaft off center relative to the shift boot and may create a problem trying to put the center console back together with shift boot in correct position. I haven't attempted to put the center console in yet to see what kind of fitment problem I will encounter but was wondering if anyone has been down this road and how they solved the problem. Thanks again.

montelibre 06-10-2013 09:20 AM

As far as I know, The engine do not run without the crank sensor.

rmallory 06-10-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montelibre (Post 15542154)
As far as I know, The engine do not run without the crank sensor.

Thanks. Turns out there was no 30amp fuse in the ignition fuse slot. Didn't seem to be an issue with 32rh as it ran fine without a fuse. In troubleshooting the problem I confirmed no voltage to ignition rail and then got 12 volts after putting in fuse. I also installed the CPS and it starts fine now, but I never confirmed it wouldn't start with a fuse in place, but no CPS installed.

On another note, the PCM is throwing a torque converter code and engine is idling too slow and cutting off if gas pedal isn't pushed. Any way to defeat PCM looking for torque converter signal short of changing the PCM?

The_Dealer 06-12-2013 09:48 AM

U need a manual trans PCm

billybooster2 06-14-2013 04:30 AM

i think you need to ground the Neutral Safety Switch on the pcm also

greenmachine99 06-14-2013 04:44 AM

Putting in that fuse may have had to be done too but the engine will most certainly NOT run without a CPS. You'll also need a manual pcm or have your auto pcm sent out to have the auto tune removed.

rmallory 06-14-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybooster2 (Post 15560061)
i think you need to ground the Neutral Safety Switch on the pcm also

Correct. Starter relay won't activate if neutral safety switch isn't grounded. Automatic PCM sends voltage to torque converter lock solenoid and then looks for a drop in rpm's. When no solenoid is present, the PCM doesn't get the desired response so it throws a code. No one seems to know a way to defeat it, so a PCM for a manual has been ordered. No one I have contacted, including dealer, thinks a PCM can be reprogrammed and changed from from its basic type. My front drive shaft is being lengthened and rear shortened by 2" as the ax-15 is a bit longer than the 32-rh. Getting all the issues worked out. Thanks for the input.

Relicmoto 07-10-2013 10:02 PM

Perhaps see about scooping up the computer out of the Cherokee you sourced the ax-15 from. If it has the 4.0 I'd reckon it would be an easier mod than trying to find someone to hack the existing PCM to work.

rmallory 07-10-2013 11:56 PM

Very frustrating experience. I have tried two pcm's from a salvage yard in Denver and both shut down engine after 3 seconds or so suggesting they came off security enabled vehicles. I am in process of sending ecu #2 back and having them send a 3rd ecu. How common was it for 2000 TJ's to have sentry system? Yard I got tyranny from doesn't have the ecu anymore. Can't seem to get this last hurdle resolved.

Anyone looking for a good 32RH? I've got one sitting in my garage along with cables, T-shift , etc.

rmallory 07-11-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relicmoto (Post 15664472)
Perhaps see about scooping up the computer out of the Cherokee you sourced the ax-15 from. If it has the 4.0 I'd reckon it would be an easier mod than trying to find someone to hack the existing PCM to work.

I don't think a '95 cherokee ecu can be put in a 2000 TJ. Bus system and cabling is probably not compatible and computers were rapidly evolving with respect to their capabilities and compatibilities. Not certain, but highly doubtful.

rlm

rjbruzan 07-12-2013 08:29 PM

The PCM is looking for 13 ohms so put a resistor across the wires to the solenoid.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/aut...0-swap-168961/

This guy has done it.

Ron

rmallory 07-16-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbruzan (Post 15671009)
The PCM is looking for 13 ohms so put a resistor across the wires to the solenoid.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/aut...0-swap-168961/

This guy has done it.

Ron

The 32RH does not use a TCU. My understanding is that the ecu sends voltage to the torque converter solenoid to lock the torque converter and then monitors for drop in rpm's to confirm success. Others have tried putting a resistor across the circuit but have reported that it decreases frequency of CEL, it still comes back on. I don't think the fix you link to will fix my problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

The time now is 08:41 PM.