anyone ever paired 60 with a 9"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > anyone ever paired 60 with a 9"?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

anyone ever paired 60 with a 9"?

only issue I'm seeing is the lug pattern
no one will make custom 8 lug 9" shafts and a full floater 9 is insanely expensive

is it ok to just convert the front 60 to 5x5.5? my concern is ripping studs off. I'd feel safer being 8 lug
any other options?

Atmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

here's some pirate threads I've been referencing
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...ert-8-lug.html

found how to convert it without buying a crazy expensive hub kit
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h.../#post11568151
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Am I missing something, your profile says you have 33's. Why? If you are going to a front 60 I would match it with some heavy gear in the rear. You can build a stout 9" but as you said, it will cost $. 14 bolt rear. Take it from me. My 60 rear has caused nothing but problems.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I know what my profile says. I know all about 14 bolt cost and strength. I'm just interested in different ways to match a 60 with a 9
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can build a sweet a## 9". I have mapped it out. There are several places to get the housing from. It takes money and fab skills. More fab skill than just swapping an axle.

Spindles can be swapped on either the front 60 or the rear 9. You gotta do some reading on the bearings, hubs, sourcing the hubs, etc.. when getting into spindle changes.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your post is a bit of a conundrum. You like the 8 lug, but want to go to a 5 on 5.5"? Do you want the 5 on 5.5" inch as a goal or the 8 lug as a goal. I think that will guide and spindle decisions and therefore hub decisions.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
You can build a sweet a## 9". I have mapped it out. There are several places to get the housing from. It takes money and fab skills. More fab skill than just swapping an axle.

Spindles can be swapped on either the front 60 or the rear 9. You gotta do some reading on the bearings, hubs, sourcing the hubs, etc.. when getting into spindle changes.
I don't want to go as far as a 9floater or ruffstuff housing. just a 35 spline junkyard 9 build

I think I found my winning thread about converting a 9 to FF http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...l-floater.html
thanks
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Your post is a bit of a conundrum. You like the 8 lug, but want to go to a 5 on 5.5"? Do you want the 5 on 5.5" inch as a goal or the 8 lug as a goal. I think that will guide and spindle decisions and therefore hub decisions.
only because I thought going 5x5.5 would be cheaper easier. then I saw the price tag on the hub kit I'd like to keep it all 8 lug
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I should mention the goal of the build as well. I'm thinking of building a go-fast on coilovers and I'd prefer a 9" for less unsprung weight. only reason I'd ever want a 60 front is because I don't think a 44 can hold up to the abuse. so short of IFS or running a dummy housing, I'm open to front axle options as well. nothing is set in stone I'm just exploring
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What's the target tire size?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Atmos
1993 XJ Cherokee 

37. but of course way way down the road I'll probably want 40's. I've been reading up and a lot of ultra4 guys run 35 spline 9's rear with a spool on 40's. and they have a lot more horsepower than I ever will..

I think I decided for sure that I would just use ruffstuff spindle flanges and run matching front 60 outers and have the same brakes/bearings/spindles at all corners. so that is solved
with the front narrowed to 66"

so now this is a BS-about-the-axles-I-cant-afford-right-now thread
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Its work and $$, but could build 609 rear. Use the 9 center and d70 spindles and hubs. Now you have ff, 8 lug 9" rear. Will need a 35 spline spool also.

There are a few guys running 8.8 rears in our xj club with 60 fronts on 35-38" rubber. One runs a few races like EMC and jumping on a d30 just wasn't working well for him.

I got my d70 cheap and planned to go the 609 route but couldn't justify cutting up a better axle to build the 9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.