Air shocks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Air shocks

I am thinking about ditching the springs for my willys build because of space and wanting to do it right the first time.I don't know the first think on air shocks and was wondering if someone could point m in the direction of the ins and outs of them?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

How heavy will the rig be, this will a decinding factor on what size shocks ( 2.0's or 2.5' ), then of course what lenght would right for the build.

What WMS axle's are you planing on using, if there small under 60" wms then getting the full drop out of a shock is harder since it mount closer to the rig or frame.
Theres alot of info need from you like I said weight is one, axle's, even motor and drive train placement.

I run 14" 2.0 Fox shocks on the rear and have a set of 16" for the front, at this point the 16" will probally go on the buiggy build. More info and we can point you in the right direction.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt...

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

WMS 68.5 and should be around 3800-4200 and I am running a amc V8

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Ok so now you have alot of room on the axle's to mount the shock tabs and have enough space for them to swing towards the Jeep frame/body without contact.
How much travel are you looking for and full body rigs can get tricky with a 4 linked front as the upper links mounted to the axle can come close or contact the bell crank area. A 3 link front might be in order and a crossed 4 for the the rear.

You right on the mark of getting 2.5's, I am to but decided to just keep the 2.0's and run them. I bumped the pressure up to make up for the fact that I'm maybe on the verge of being to heavy for them, but they work very well and 2.0's are much cheaper than 2.5's.

Figure out ride hieght then start looking at full drop looks like on the rig. Remember at ride hiehgt the shocks cant be straight up and down, as the rig flexs that one side shock will fold unload under the rig and may not return as fast as you want.

This is my rig being set up,

Notice how they sit at full stuff they are at a 12~15* outward angle. Then notice at full flex they still keep a outward angle.

This is very important if your shocks are not at a outward at ride hieght angle they can't perform when fully flexed.

Also don't weld anything in till you flex and test it sevral time's, I moved my tabs twice and finally found a spot I was happy with.

Some other ramdam shots of mouting, shocks at full stuff.

axle shock tab.

Tabs and tube work done, just waiting on welding.

Jason.

1993 YJ 4.0 60 Front, Rear steer 60, bolth spooled, 5.38's, 700r/241 39.5 iroks and beating it like it owes me money.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome,thanks! how do you figure out how much to charge them or is a a figure it out as you run the rig sort of thing?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking at the Fox 2.0's,whats the difference between the Emulsion shocks and the regular shocks?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone wanting some info on air shocks read this,great article on setting them up and what not

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...hox/index.html
post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
Anyone wanting some info on air shocks read this,great article on setting them up and what not

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html
I was just going to link that thread, lots of good info.
And a more recent one.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085441

Jason.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,my head hurts from all this info!!!!HAHA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.