Air shock tech - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Air shock tech

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Air shock tech

This is a interesting topic since these things can have some funny behavior.
My buggy wich is still in the building stages, behaved pretty well with only about 2-3" of shaft showing. Then I had the idea to get more belly height so added some nitrogen. Now this thing does some serious leaning. Seen this on a friend's XJ also, as soon as he let some nitrogen out it behaved a lot better.
Question is does adding shock oil improve this situation, don't really want to fudge with antirocks if I don't have too.
You got any input on this Jason M, I know you run air shocks on your rig.

Thanks in advance

Unread 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
jason m

Hey Art, suspensions are not my strong side but shocks from being around them in friends builds and of course my jeep I understand them, kinda lol.

I had set my rear shocks at 150 psi and I think a tea spoon of oil. The oil was in there when I got them from my friend. I had to bump my charge up 15 more psi. When I started I had two inch's of chrome but would bottom out just driving around the yard.
So now I'm happy with them not bottoming out but I was told to keep the the same two inch up travel I planed on instead of adding gas I should of added more oil as you can't compress a liquid.

Now maybe Blane or impead can jump in and we can all learn something as again this not my strong point only my experience with them.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Hey Art, suspensions are not my strong side but shocks from being around them in friends builds and of course my jeep I understand them, kinda lol.

I had set my rear shocks at 150 psi and I think a tea spoon of oil. The oil was in there when I got them from my friend. I had to bump my charge up 15 more psi. When I started I had two inch's of chrome but would bottom out just driving around the yard.
So now I'm happy with them not bottoming out but I was told to keep the the same two inch up travel I planed on instead of adding gas I should of added more oil as you can't compress a liquid.

Now maybe Blane or impead can jump in and we can all learn something as again this not my strong point only my experience with them.Jason.
They do seem to behave a lot better with about 2" of shaft showing. With 5-6 " of shaft showing the ride is funky to say the least. If that's what it takes, I'' just redo the upper mounts.
Unread 08-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
jason m

Building several buggy's prior to doing my rear steer conversation we always had around two inch's of rod for ride height. The idea was/is to have more down travel than up as there is no ride quality needed. But again when it came to shocks Sean my good friend did that end. I was the build the axles, bend the tube, mostly design the chassis and weld it type of guy, lol.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Building several buggy's prior to doing my rear steer conversation we always had around two inch's of rod for ride height. The idea was/is to have more down travel than up as there is no ride quality needed. But again when it came to shocks Sean my good friend did that end. I was the build the axles, bend the tube, mostly design the chassis and weld it type of guy, lol.

Jason.
Just talked on the phone to a guy that bought my locker yesterday.
He had his on offroad fab shop in North Cal and he has built about 12 rigs with airshocks and his answer is pretty much like yours, No more than 2-3" of shaft showing at ride height. As low a nitrogen presure as possible and that's it. That should give the best compromise. So I have a little bracket fabbing to do. At 115" wheelbase the thing needs a bit of belly height. Nice to have a fairly definitive answer, so I know where to go with it. Thanks for your reply Jason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.