96 xj; 1980 bronco driveline swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 96 xj; 1980 bronco driveline swap

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
cjallen22

Xj 96 xj; 1980 bronco driveline swap

OK guys here it goes, i'm a mechanic in the air force but im having a bit of trouble on this one. i have a 1996 Cherokee 2WD (xj) straight 6 4.0 auto. and i also have a 1980 ford bronco 300 cu straight six 4WD with locking hubs and is manual. what i'm trying to figure out is if i will be able to put the broncos driveline starting with the tranny and t-case and also the axles on my xj. has anyone seen this done? if so any pointers/ websites i can visit to make this happen. thanks

cjallen22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
2FFords
1951 M-38 

Howdy Man , the 300 is actually a really but engine and its long. I don't think it will fit in the engine compartment. The trans may work but you will probably have to buy an adapter from Novak to do it. And they aren't cheap. The front axle of the Broncos of that year are TTB independent. So I guess anything is possible but not probable without a lot of fab work. I would say Craig's List the rig that needs the most work and put the cash into the remaining rig. Then hit the trail. I just don't see a good way to melt these two vehicles together.

Good luck with your decisions.
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

can't think of anything that bronco has that's particularly desirable and unique to it. do what the last guy suggested.
part or sell the one in the worst shape and keep driving the other.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Do it!!!! Twin I beam suspensions handle well on road and off road the tire contact patch stays level with the surface its on to a certain degree. It wont be easy. Your biggest mods will be fabricating 2 crossmembers one for the i beams up front(their pivoting mounts overlap each other) and one to support the transmission. Aside from that re-use the coil buckets with integrated shock mount(some have twin shocks and these buckets can be bought). The radius arms mounts will also be fabricated easily or simply re-used(this would be a good time for longer radius arms it allows for more axle droop while flexed. The steering shouldnt be too bad to fab. Motor mounts are simple. Although like on guy said its a long motor and I have heard of a 300 in a xj before and it required firewall modification.

Also the bronco should have a 9 inch rear and those need no explanation of their benefits. With the front being a dana 44 it is pretty stout aswell (even though it ifs design is slightly weaker. F250 springs can be lift coils for broncos. Set up ideally for suspension flexability this will be a pretty tall rig.
www.jeffsbroncograveyard.com has alot of i beam parts and will be a good source of lift info and overall design capability.

Yes this is alot of work but the 300 is a torque monster and with a offy intake,4bbl carb, cam, and headers you can add over 100 hp. The transmission if your lucky is the granny gear new process 435 or the ford t18 both very desireable 4 speeds in the cj community. Not sure of the transfer case though im sure its stout. It will be drivers side drop.

Also the desert racing people may have some info on swaps like this. This could be one very unique and very capable rig that will bring you alot of respect if done well.

Good luck. I hope to hear more on this build.
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i-beams-1259607/

There are a couple leads in this thread i just found.

Yeah i beams wear the outer edges of tires if the supension is taller than the angle on the beam(relative to where its pivot mounts to the frame) allows for there are methods to correct this.

The reason behind my enthusiasm is that i grew up in ford vans (literally) 333,000 miles and 45 states in a e150. Ive owned 4 e150s and a bronco. In high school i successfully handled a 6000 lb van onto two wheels while more than once with out the slightest hint of feeling like i was going over. With i beams its all about loading the suspension in turns. I have often wanted to build a hot rod using 2wd ranger beams with a very low center of gravity and try it in autocross.
I beams are unique as durable as a solid axle and were used for a very long time for good reason. They work.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

http://everything2.com/title/twin+traction+beam

Explanation of benefits.
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829346
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sho...-4x4-front-end

Better pot on a pot of coffee you've got alot of reading sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.