91 JY 4.0L engine rebuild/ swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 91 JY 4.0L engine rebuild/ swap

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
k-mo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 JY 4.0L engine rebuild/ swap

my 91 has always been sluggish since I purchased it 7yrs ago, but recently noticeably more. I had it compression tested and found that one cylinder is completely dead. The rest are all showing around 95-100, stock specs say it should be 125-150. I have the engine out and on a stand now, Looking to rebuild it completely, or find a suitable engine in great condition. My issue is that I can't even find a good engine for it, and I am on a budget. What is my best option? Should I focus on rebuilding it, or for the sake of time and money is it better to just get a drop-in engine and go with it? I can't seem to find anybody in the area to do it for me without it being over 3,000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

k-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

WAY easier to drop-in another engine. Then at least you'll have a spare engine to rebuild at your leisure.

That's what I'm doing right now on my 93 ZJ. My spare engine came from an 89 XJ, and I'm swapping the HO head (and accessories) onto the renix block. The only issue I've run into so-far is the crank depth is different. Easily solved with a die grinder.
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd try to get another motor and run it till it craps out. Could be many years from now. While you're driving your YJ save up and turn your old block into a stroker.
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
sammon287
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 91 and am in the middle of replacing the engine. I just bought a remanufactured long block from Promar Precision engines in NJ for $1799 shipped. It has a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. I couldn't find any bad reviews about them unlike some of the other cheaper remanufacturers. You do have to send your old engine back to them as a core (on their dime) to enact the warranty. Also, there was no core charge up front.
sammon287 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.