89 wrangler swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
RedJeepDave

89 wrangler swap

First, hi all I'm Dave, I'm new here but not new to engines and Jeeps. Well I've owned lots of wranglers but never done a swap! I just came across a FREE Jeep, it's an 89 4 cyl. story behind it is, my wife's brother got it from his dead grandfather a few years back. He drove it from Cali to NC, needless to say I ended up rebuilding the stock 4 banger that it came with. He drove it twice since then. He stopped driving it because after I built the motor and put it in, I went on vacation and he finished the wire hook ups. Wrong move, he hooked something up wrong and dash started smoking. It was actually the wires to the selenoid! So now it won't charge and just kills the battery when running like something reversed the charging system. He let it sit behind a shed under a tree. His father had the title in his name and was pissed that his son was destroying the jeep. So in that case he gave it to Nikki (my wife). He said what ever I do with it will be better then what he is doing with it. NICE!! So my wife and I are HUGE mustang fans. I also owned many, so we decided to do a 302 swap. Question is can I use the T5 or T56 trans with the 302? Or this combo won't work together in this wrangler? My wife really loves the way tremmic T5 shifts. My wife wants to do all the work with my help of course!! I have all the tools and friends that weld. Going to try and get all the plug and play items I can, before I call the welders in. Any opinions on this area? Don't be afraid to tell me how it is, lol I can take punches. It just makes me learn more and I'm a sucker for learning

Plans are as follows:
  • 302 HO W/MAF
  • T5 or T56 trans
  • B303 or e cam
  • Gt40 intake with aluminum or the GT40p heads
  • EGR delete and smog delete
  • Unsure of gearing
  • Mac shorty headers with 1 chamber 10 series flows
  • Deciding if I want o2 or not. I have a programmer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Do you know if either of those transmissions can be bolted up to a transfer case (assuming you want to keep 4wd)? The other things to look at are the length and gear ratios. Car transmissions often have much higher gear ratios and a smaller overall gear spread, neither of which are well suited for larger tires and a dual purpose Jeep. If you don't plan on lifting it, or offroading, then it won't be a big of an issue. Personally though, I think you'll better off (and have an easier/cheaper swap) with either an AX15 or NV3550. Both were factory transmissions behind Wranglers and reported do well with V8 swaps.

http://www.novak-adapt.com has a lot of good info on popular Jeep swaps.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.