5.9 Swap Knowledge Requested - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 5.9 Swap Knowledge Requested

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
cjlinn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tj 5.9 Swap Knowledge Requested

Planning on doing a 5.9L swap in the spring. My question is...can I use the output shaft from the NV231D that's on the Durango behind the 46RE or is the spline count/overall dimension of that shaft not a match? Has anyone tried this? Curious to know if I can source that part from what I have before I order anything from Advance Adapters. Also, my TJ is my DD, so I would like to purchase a '97-'98 harness matching my engine/tranny then send it to Hotwire Auto to build a plug & play unit to smooth out the swap. As a sanity check, does that sound like a solid course of action with the harness or does anyone foresee any issues? Thanks guys.

Unread 11-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
cjlinn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I recant my output shaft statement. Dunno what I was thinking. I have seen the input shaft from the donor Dodge TC working. Moreover, I might try my hand at the harness myself, but I feel more confident letting someone more qualified do it. I hate electronics and I'd like to minimize throwing codes right after my swap is finished.
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
JeepinGIJOE

Build the harness yourself. .very very very easy..ive built quite a few 5.2 5.9 harnesses now and have helpes with 3 swaps..the durango t case will work fine and is evem an upgrade from the 231 in the jeeps..the durango tcase has a beefier chain...honestly I dunno what these companys are charging for their harnesses now but for this swap anything over $400 is a rip off..its just that easy to build.. my old thread is around somewhere with tons of part numbers and what not..
JeepinGIJOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
cjlinn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGIJOE View Post
Build the harness yourself. .very very very easy...the durango t case will work fine and is even an upgrade from the 231 in the jeeps..the durango tcase has a beefier chain...my old thread is around somewhere with tons of part numbers and what not..
I've found the large thread regarding 5.2/5.9 swaps altogether. I'm planning to just utilize what's necessary on my NP231 cause I've already put the Teraflex 4 to 1 kit on it. I saw Jason used the input shaft, bearing?, and chain amongst other parts. I'd have to re-read his thread. I'll look for yours though. I'll try my hand at the harness, but I wanna drive it up until I have all the parts and motor ready. We'll see how it goes.
cjlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

231d hd has a larger output shaft vs jeeps. Also, there is no speedo gear on the tailshaft. A sye solves both problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.