Ok thanks man. Looks like ill plan to buy some headers. Ive been reading on WhyJs build thread and he tried the truck and corvette manifolds and finally settled on the camaro manifolds with his Novak mounts. Do you know what would work best with the AA mounts or if they would be different? That can be one of the last things though.
Haha I was having problems finding info on my phone last night with the link you posted before. I'll try this one. Thanks man! I'm a little fuzzy about the trans mount. Am I going to need to fab my own mount or can I use the AA mount on my stock skidplate? I'm just not sure how all of that will line up. Hopefully I can use my driveshafts as well.
I am also having an arguement with my GM mechanic friend. He is really pushing me to find a 241 because he doesnt think my 231 will hold up. Cost wise it is cheaper to buy the $500 adapter and keep my 231 with sye rather than build up a 241. SYEs for those are expensive!
I am running a AX15 trans. so not sure what the guys running auto's are using for a mount. As far as 231 VS 241 the 231 is rated at 600FT LBS. and the 241 is rated at 1400 ft lbs. If you Google the two, the difference I see is the planetary gears. The 231 has 3 pinion gears and the 241 has 6. I've heard you can buy a three gear pinion set or find a junker at the Junk yard and add those to your planetary and make it vary strong. I would think unless you are going to abuse the xxxx out of it 600 ft lbs should be plenty strong. With my 4.8LR4 tune, cold air intake and headers I'm am putting 320ft lbs to my stock AX15 and NP231 and its still in one piece after 3500 miles of lead foot and fun times at the lake. I would also think its going to depend what kind of a bind your going to get it into rock crawling etc.
I had thought that the main difference was the planetaries as well. I can always do rhat upgrade later, and with the 27 spline input that comes with the adapter I think ill be ok. I dont know how much I trust those ratings though. With how "efficient" car companies are why would they build a t case for a 1/2 ton rated at 1400 lbs? Dont most 231s fail at the chain?
Donno never had one fail. Put a wide chain set in it, and you are set. Check out JB conversions product #2032 (wide chain) and #2010 (6 pinion planetary). Hella stout. A little pricy. No one said fun is cheap.
Well said. Ill definitely check out those upgrades when my swap is done.
On another note I just sold the dual exhaust from the truck for $100. It cost me $450 to install when I owned it
I jist had a flow pro muffler and a new tailpipe put on my jeep before the v8 opportunity came along. Im sure the v8 needs at least 2.5". What size is jeep 6 cyl exhaust? Id like to reuse what I can for now to save some $
I'm pretty sure the passenger side exhaust manifold will not clear the firewall. I purchased block hugger headers for a 2010 Camaro. They clear the motor mounts and the firewall quit nicely. The wiring is simple. Go to www.ls1swap.com and all the info. you need to do a stand alone wireharness is right there. Let me know if I can help you with anything.
After reading the description for the AA mounts sit says they are designed to fit the truck manifolds or rear dump headers (will not work with car manifolds corvette, camaro, trans-am) so hopefully im good there. I'd like some headers in the future but its not an expense id like until she is running well.
I believe stock exhaust is 2.25, but I don't think you can unload both banks of the V8 without throwing a code. Even without O2 sensors behind the Cats. Not enough flow. As far as the V8 its the best upgrade you will do. Absolutely awesome. Like I said I am running camaro headers, I don't think stock will work. I guess we will find out.
Well I feel like the biggest 'tard in the world. I stopped by the garage earlier (i am working on it in my Grandma's garage) and the motor and tranny tipped over into the Jeeps tire/shackle. I had it sitting on a tire on a furniture dolly. It has been sitting in the same spot since Monday night. Must have been slightly of center and took 2 days to finally fall. I got it back onto the dolly and ran a chain to the ceiling to keep it from tipping. I "only" broke the map sensor ($60) and cracked the red cover on the ecm plug. FML