5.3 swap feeler - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 5.3 swap feeler

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What have you guys done for motor mounts? The Novaks are $200 and the AAs are a bit less. I don't think I will need anything to fancy but I do want to get the easiest to install and the strongest. Suggestions?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I made my own using these plates, a couple of leaf spring bushings and sleeves and some tabs. I needed to position the motor around my very modified steering shaft setup and axle/coilover mounts, so I didn't think the pre-made ones would work. If I had a stock Jeep they were going in, I'd decide which design I liked better and go with that.
http://patparts.com/product_info.php...mr6sl5j165fkn1
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #48
muddigger95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used AA motor mounts ( product #713088). I was very pleased with the quality off the product. They are adjustable from side to side and can be placed anywhere on the frame you want to put them. You could also modify them a little if they where not exactly what you needed. As far as the fuel pressure goes the 5.3 is looking for 48 at an idle and 58-62 at WOT. Not sure what a 88 stock pump puts out, but the pump in my 95 supplies more than enough for the 4.8, witch really close to the same engine.
muddigger95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #49
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddigger95 View Post
I used AA motor mounts ( product #713088). I was very pleased with the quality off the product. They are adjustable from side to side and can be placed anywhere on the frame you want to put them. You could also modify them a little if they where not exactly what you needed. As far as the fuel pressure goes the 5.3 is looking for 48 at an idle and 58-62 at WOT. Not sure what a 88 stock pump puts out, but the pump in my 95 supplies more than enough for the 4.8, witch really close to the same engine.
ahaha my '88 pump puts out like 12 psi I think (carbed). I'll take another look at those AA mounts.

On another note I have gotten a lot torn off the truck, but still cant get the old ******* starter out. I'm gonna try a handy man jack on the frame to spread it the 1/4-1/2" i need to drop the starter. The front of it is just barely hitting the motor mount before it will drop

August YJOTM

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #50
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well the hi lift didnt work very well. Im gonna try a block of wood and a bottle jack. Ive never personally pulled an engine before, what is the best way to hook up to the cherry picker ? I have plenty of chain

August YJOTM

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #51
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It was a pain in the balls but I got her started. I had to grind a lot off of the frame side motor mount for the starter to clear but she fired right up and ran like a champ. Now I can finish tearing her down

August YJOTM

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #52
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I also unbolted the trans mount and pushed the trans/t case the side to make as much room as possible for the starter

August YJOTM

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #53
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful lifting the motor with the chain. The intake manifold is plastic and can crack very easily. It may be worth it if you are close to a tool rental place to get a load leveler for the hoist and then it just bolts to the end of the heads f/r and l/r. Makes it very easy to tilt the engine to clear the firewall and not risk breaking anything.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice man. Last thing I want to do is break something pulling the engine. Ill try to get ahold of a load leveler

August YJOTM

Unread 02-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #55
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Didnt have a load leveler but we got it out with the tranny attached. I sold the drivers side caliper fir $30 bucks right after I got it out of the garage haha. The old lady is out of town next weekend so I plan on tearing out the jeep drivetrain
forumrunner_20130216_200449.jpg   forumrunner_20130216_200517.jpg  

August YJOTM

Unread 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #56
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do the exhaust manifolds look like they will clear the motor mounts? These dump pretty far back

August YJOTM

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #57
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They will clear the motor mounts, you just have to watch the firewall clearance. They dump really far back compared to where the motor sits in the engine bay. Depending on how you position it and if you have a body lift they may or may not clear
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #58
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Damn , I dont have a body lift. Hopefully they will clear. Would it be worth it to get different manifolds? I thought the problem was that they dont dump far enough back to clear the mounts.

August YJOTM

Unread 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #59
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered the AA motor mounts, now I just have to sell some more parts so I can order my tranny to t-case adapter. I'm thinking about shipping off the harness and pcm here soon as well. I've never really messed with this much wiring before, all I need is the harness that sits right on top of the engine? I had some help pulling the motor so I didn't see exactly what got unplugged from where. Professional mechanics are fast haha. Also with the pcm tune I know I have to remove the anti theft and I want to delete the post cat O2s and have him do a tune on it. Is there anything else I should have him do?

It's depressing seeing my old truck like this
20130218_075049.jpg  

August YJOTM

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #60
muddigger95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the passenger side exhaust manifold will not clear the firewall. I purchased block hugger headers for a 2010 Camaro. They clear the motor mounts and the firewall quit nicely. The wiring is simple. Go to www.ls1swap.com and all the info. you need to do a stand alone wireharness is right there. Let me know if I can help you with anything.
muddigger95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.