5.3 swap feeler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 5.3 swap feeler

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

On the 241 do I need to get one from an auto? I found one locally but the guy said it will fit manual only. Can I use the from half of the 241 and the back half of my 231 so I can keep my sye? If not I'm sure I can get some decent money out of my 231. I was hoping the salvage wouldn't be that much. If I can afford that much, like you said, I'm sure I can make quite a bit back parting it out and from my Jeep drivetrain.

Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The 241 and 231 are very different. If you want to make the bastard case you need to find the front of a Chevy 231 out of an S-10 with the 4l60e and then you can make the front half to your 231. You would need to add a VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) for the GM computer that way though.
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like too much of a headache to not use the 241. Any reason to use an adapter and keep the 231? That's over $500 just for the adapter. The VSS on the 241 will hook right up to the Chevy computer?
Unread 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What about the auto vs manual issue with the 241?
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
What about the auto vs manual issue with the 241?
manual will be 32 spline like the 2500 cases, where as someone pointed out earlier auto uses 27 spline input behind the 4l60e

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh OK. I didn't know manual would be 32 spline. Thanks for the info man. The adjuster looks at it on Tuesday.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
TJBob62
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am just finishing my 4.3 vortec swap in my TJ.very similar to the 5.3. Right now I'm running a 241 TC until I pass the emission referee check. I'm in California. The 241 bolts right up to the 4l60. Although its a driver drop it hangs a bit low. After I pass emissions check I will remove it and install my 231/dana300 Box for Rocks crawl box. I will remove the 6 pinion planetary from the 241 and install it in the planetary of my 231 also I will transfer the 27 spline input from the 241 to the 231 as well. This allows me to use the 4l60 without changing the output shaft. Big savings. When that is done I will attach the 231 to my 4l60 with an Advance Adapter. Here is the kicker. If you stay with the 241, the speed sensor is on the output of the t-case. Fine for the gm computer until you select Low range. Then you need to tell the computer it's in low range. Not too hard. But then how are you going to run your dash speedometer? The jeep needs a different signal. So the point of this is, run the 231 or even better an Atlas with an adapter. The adapter has the gm speed sensor between the trans and T- case, so no low range issue and you still will have a speedometer sensor on the output of the t-case for the Jeep dash. It costs a bit more but is a very clean solution.
As for wiring. Get a GM service manual from GM, not Chiltons. And do the wiring yourself. It was easy. I cut out very little. Mostly just added powers for the computer and sensors. Added wires for the brake switch and spliced it the neutral safety and it starts and runs perfectly. You will need to send out the GM computer to have the VATS (security) removed. I kept the Jeep computer to run the dash. Oil press & water temp.
There other things you need to do to make it smog legal if you have to, but that's for another day.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Bob
TJBob62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #23
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bob, that's a lot of good info! Hopefully I can figure things out with the insurance company and bring the truck home tomorrow. I can't wait to start! After hearing about the low range issue maybe I will get the AA adapter for the 231. It will save me from having to buy and install another SYE

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
TJBob62
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you can still get a 241 cheap, buy it. Take it apart and removed the low range 6 pinion planetary and install it in your 231. It will fit perfectly and is twice as strong. As the 231 only has a 3 pinion planet. Then you will also have the 27 spline input that fits the 231 without any mods. Even better when you order your Advance adapter kit tell them you already have the 27 spline input and you don't need the one in the kit and ask nicely for a price reduction. It saved me over $100.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #25
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's good to know as well. My local junkyard wants $300 for a 241. Maybe I can trade them the t case that is on the truck and a bit of credit. When they were asking me about the transmission it was bolted to, they asked 3 or 4 speed. Will that make a difference?

August YJOTM

Unread 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #26
TJBob62
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it was behind an auto it was a 4 speed. But they should know that.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I thought. That's why I was confused. I told them '88-'94 I think. Are those the right years?

August YJOTM

Unread 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can use 95-98/99 old body style 241's as well. check out car-part.com and search for what you are looking for. I got my 97 241 for $117 shipped to my door. If you are keeping the stock dash, the AA kit is a great way to go. I'm running aftermarket gauges for everything, so I opted to get a clocking ring for the 241c to get it up above the frame rail and am running the stock speedo output from it to the GM computer.
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a vortec 350, 4l60e, 231c/231j in my yj! I did the s10 transfer case mod so I could keep my sye! I found a gm Trans to t-case adapter on e-bay for around $50. I got the vss kit from AA. I fabbed the vss into the adapter. It was a little intimidating at first, afterwards I realized it was a piece of cake. I'm using my stock gauges. I see where people say they use the stock jeep ECM to run the gauges, I didn't! I was lucky enough to swap the sensor's from my 4 banger over to the 350 block! Might be a difference between the 5.7 and 5.3! To make my speedo work, I got a neat little box from Dakota Digital to change the signal coming from the vss to work with the jeep gauge. I thought I had all my ducks in a row before I started mine, but it ended up taking me a couple months start to finish! A lot of that time was waiting on parts I didn't know I needed, till I needed them! Hurry up and waited a lot! Good luck!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinking View Post
I have a vortec 350, 4l60e, 231c/231j in my yj! I did the s10 transfer case mod so I could keep my sye! I found a gm Trans to t-case adapter on e-bay for around $50. I got the vss kit from AA. I fabbed the vss into the adapter. It was a little intimidating at first, afterwards I realized it was a piece of cake. I'm using my stock gauges. I see where people say they use the stock jeep ECM to run the gauges, I didn't! I was lucky enough to swap the sensor's from my 4 banger over to the 350 block! Might be a difference between the 5.7 and 5.3! To make my speedo work, I got a neat little box from Dakota Digital to change the signal coming from the vss to work with the jeep gauge. I thought I had all my ducks in a row before I started mine, but it ended up taking me a couple months start to finish! A lot of that time was waiting on parts I didn't know I needed, till I needed them! Hurry up and waited a lot! Good luck!
What was involved in fabbing the adapter to accept the AA VSS? which adapter did you get, just 4l60e to np231c? I just loaded up the truck and got it to my house so I'm pretty psyched now. I jumped the gun and put the truck on Craigslist and almost everything is sold already! Hopefully ill make enough to cover some motor mounts at least.

August YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.