5.3 swap feeler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 5.3 swap feeler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yj 5.3 swap feeler

Ok so I have read quite a few engine swap threads trying to prepare myself for when I find a good donor. I have been planning on a 4.0 because of cost and bolt-in-ability. Then this morning I get a call from my employee telling me he is gonna be late because he just wrecked his truck (that I sold him a couple years back). '99 Silverado 1500, front end is wrecked and the passenger side frame is pushed in far enough to pinch the starter to the block. There are no leaking fluids, radiator is fine, soI assume everything else is fine. I guess I am just looking for some input on what to check for (if I can get the salvage from the insurance co.) and any issues I might run into with the swap. I have a friend that is a GM mechanic so I have some help there. What would you guys do with the transfer case? use the Gm one? Get an adapter for my np231? Any help/discussion is appreciated!

2013-01-15-09.22.43.jpg   2013-01-15-10.28.15.jpg   flex-2.jpg  
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
RoostrRiz
1983 CJ7 

I'm sure you'll get some more thorough answers but my first thought is check the block around that starter real well for cracks. Motor mounts etc.

As for the tcase you can always do the hybrid jeep/Chevy case.
RoostrRiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostrRiz View Post
I'm sure you'll get some more thorough answers but my first thought is check the block around that starter real well for cracks. Motor mounts etc.

As for the tcase you can always do the hybrid jeep/Chevy case.
Yeah I was planning on checking behind the starter at least. Do you have any info on combining the 2 cases? I read YJames90's build thread and saw that he did that behind his 4.3. I've been looking on Novaks site and there is no way I'm paying over $600 for the adapter from tranny to xfer case...
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

use a 241 from an older chevy. will bolt up to the chevy tranny and is very similar in design to your 231. they were available in either side drop depending on the year truck they came in, but being as jeeps are drivers drop, should just need one from any 88- late 90's chevy truck with floor shift transfer case. depending on whether the donor truck is floor shift or not, it may even have what you need already!

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
use a 241 from an older chevy. will bolt up to the chevy tranny and is very similar in design to your 231. they were available in either side drop depending on the year truck they came in, but being as jeeps are drivers drop, should just need one from any 88- late 90's chevy truck with floor shift transfer case. depending on whether the donor truck is floor shift or not, it may even have what you need already!
Thanks for the advice! The donor truck is push button. Can you get a floor shifter kit for it? I'm too busy to search right now so do you know what transfer case would be in the donor truck? My sye for the 231 probably wont fit the 241 huh? Maybe I could get enough out of the 231 to fund a new sye
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Thanks for the advice! The donor truck is push button. Can you get a floor shifter kit for it? I'm too busy to search right now so do you know what transfer case would be in the donor truck? My sye for the 231 probably wont fit the 241 huh? Maybe I could get enough out of the 231 to fund a new sye
is is auto 4wd? if its auto, it will be a 246. it is it just push button and not auto, i think it is a 243. and to my knowledge there is no kit to convert an electric shift case to manual. i know the 246 is not the best case to start with anyway with the auto 4wd garbage.

and you can get an SYE for a 241, but your 231 won't fit it.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it is auto. So I can find a 241 in an 88 to late 90 s 1500? And it will bolt right up to a new style 4L60e?
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

yupp it will bolt right up. same non-symetrical 6 bolt pattern and 32 spline input was used.

and yeah, any GM IFS truck from 1988- whenever they stopped using the 241, which i think was the late 90's maybe. 1500, or even 2500's had them.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome man. Just the input I was looking for. Any other advice on the swap?
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also for anyone with experience on the subject, how much should I expect to pay for the truck? It books for around $8500
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring is my biggest fear. With my current motor being nuttered and having an MC2100 I don't have much for wiring. What is the best approach? luckily I will have the entire truck so I'm hoping to not have to source any parts. How hard is it without sending the harness off? Don't know that I can afford the prices that I've seen on other v8 swap threads.
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Wiring is my biggest fear. With my current motor being nuttered and having an MC2100 I don't have much for wiring. What is the best approach? luckily I will have the entire truck so I'm hoping to not have to source any parts. How hard is it without sending the harness off? Don't know that I can afford the prices that I've seen on other v8 swap threads.
depends on how inclined you are electrically. with some time to put to the project and a good wiring diagram it should not be a terrible project. I know all the wires are well color coded finding and stripping the harness of un-needed wires should not be too difficult. you could always go with a Painless harness, but those are usually fairly pricey. with a good diagram, and a few nights spend dissecting it i would say it is not an insurmountable project. I know i hate wiring on vehicles though.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I've been reading Why J?s write up on his swap and he breaks it down pretty well. Its a lot of info to process but he documented everything really well. I'm still fuzzy on exactly what to do with the ECM though
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also for anyone with experience on the subject, how much should I expect to pay for the truck? It books for around $8500
This is my biggest concern right now. The curiosity is killing me until we hear back from the insurance company.
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the 241c that you get is out of a 1500. The case came in some 2500's but the input spline count in them is 32, you need the 27 spline input to mate with the 4l60e. There are quite a few places that will modify the stock harness from the truck to work as a stand-alone system. I'm almost finished re-wiring my own, but the time that I have into it may not be worth it to you if you aren't interested in wiring like I am. This is one of the people that is highly recommended for re-working the stock harness inexpensively http://www.bp-automotive.com/ There is also a guy over on Pirate4x4.com that does them for about $250 plus shipping I believe. About everything you could possibly want to know is in here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...5-3-jeeps.html

If the insurance totals it, I would expect you'd be somewhere in the 1-2,000 range from what I've seen in the past. Part out what you don't need on the truck and you could break even or possibly come out ahead.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.