5.0 stroker worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 5.0 stroker worth it?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
that1guy123
1987 XJ Cherokee 

5.0 stroker worth it?

I would like to hear some first hand experience on this (maybe there's a reason not many people do this.). The only reason I'm here is because the "stroked, bored, and cammed" motor I bought from a friend was stock. After concluding there are no 12 counterweight 258 crankshafts or rods here, in the heart of Oregon, I decided to go with a stroker kit, and it's hard for me to decide on which one. One problem after another, I made my Jeep motto "go big or go home" and found this:

http://www.shop.505performance.com/p...&categoryId=25

Now, I know that the connecting rod angle and thinner cylinder walls would have a big impact on the life of the engine, but I have several donor motors laying around that could be machined and used after one fails. Maybe I'm getting a little over my head because I have no clue about how this would wear the motor out in real life. Would properly seated piston rings help at all to prevent oval cylinders? Yes or no on this build and why?

that1guy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
jeeperxj2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, $3,000 is a lot for a stroker kit isn't it? I'm looking to improve on my current 4.0 and I'm wondering whether is stroker is my best bet. Curious to see what comes up on this thread, of course everyone has their own opinion on why its a great/not so great idea.
jeeperxj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The way i look at it:

stroking is a good bang for the buck way to get power, might be the best.

Taking it to the extreme, i think it loses its bang for buck ratio. For $3000 you could easily do a V8 with proven durability. Not questioning a 4.0 to 5.0 strokers durability since there is practically no data to back that assumption up, im just sayin....

edit: Original question..is it worth it? Depends on what the jeeps used for. Is it going to be shown at SEMA to represent your company? Then 5.0

Is it going to be used like 99.9% of every other jeep out there and trail ridden/street driven? Go smaller or swap.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.