44a center swapped with a typical dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 44a center swapped with a typical dana 44

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Zj 44a center swapped with a typical dana 44

those that saw this episode of xtreme 4x4 where ian combines a dana 50 and 14 bolt.

those with ZJs know the 44a.my thought is do this to a rear axle 44a and a dana 44 and use the tubes w/ brackets off the 44a and weld those tubes to the center section of the 44.

does the center of the 44 have to be from a jeep aswell to keep the tube diameter the same? i.e. out of an XJ or Tj. or can i use another 44 out of a scout or one out of another vehicle that would work.

which shafts would i need to use? the one off the regular 44?

the point of this is to see if this might be a cheaper route then buying a tab kit. i know it all depends on the local JY prices.

thanks,
-James

(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's been done on a wj. mainly because he had the 44 and already had a 44a.

if you don't already have a 44a and a 44 laying around, you'd be better off just buying an 8.8 and 300$ bracket kit instead of a 300-600$ 44a and a 300-600$ 44 and add in the extra costs with the more precision work required as well as getting new gears and probably carrier for it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

ok thanks, next time i'm at the local JY i'll ask what their prices are, and ask what they'll want for an 8.8. some places want the same for a 8.8 as a 44.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

3.73 8.8's are plentiful, 3.73 iron 44's are not.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.