4.0L Craigslist Engine - How to Check it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 4.0L Craigslist Engine - How to Check it?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4.0L Craigslist Engine - How to Check it?

Bought a 4.0L Craigslist engine for $250. Supposedly out of a 1995 Cherokee with 150K miles, but who knows.

Will be for a 2.5L to 4.0L swap in my 1995 YJ. I'm considering three options:

1) Full rebuild ($$$)
2) Head job, cleanup and external accessory replacements ($$)
3) Minimal cleanup, etc, and swap it in. ($)

If the engine is in good shape, I'd like to save some money, and NOT do the full rebuild. But I don't want to get the engine in, and then immediately pull it out for a spun bearing, cracked head or something.

Is there anything I can do to an engine on a hoist to figure out its condition? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Unread 07-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do a compression test on each cylinder, (if you don't own one you can rent them at most parts stores) check oil for any obvious contamination or neglect, spark plugs may give some indication of maintenance, shine flashlight into valve cover to look for sludge, and check the block for any serious oil leaks new or ongoing. These are a few basic things that may help you.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
Do a compression test on each cylinder, (if you don't own one you can rent them at most parts stores) check oil for any obvious contamination or neglect, spark plugs may give some indication of maintenance, shine flashlight into valve cover to look for sludge, and check the block for any serious oil leaks new or ongoing. These are a few basic things that may help you.
Thanks - all good suggestions! I was planning to do all this, but the compression test is problematic without a bell housing (I don't have an AX15 yet). Was definitely planning to drop the oil pan and remove the valve cover for a closer inspection.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Cylinder leakage test may be better if it's not in the vehicle. This will give an idea of how the engine is doing as fat as ring sealing, and valve seats.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Leakdown test will be more accurate.

AT LEAST:

Waterpump

Rear/Front main seals

Valve cover gasket

Intake manifold and throttle body cleaning/gaskets

Oil pan gasket

You don't want to do work twice, and if it passes the leakdown, then you won't need to go into the head/block. I'm going through this with my brother with his Honda, he wants to get the engine in asap, I keep telling him to not rush it and swap out every possible seal/gasket minus the head gasket so that way the motor will be good for the next 90K.
caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

^ This is what I just did.

New waterpump and t-stat, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, new oil pump, oil pan gasket, throttle body cleaning, throttle body gasket, CPS, new plugs, upper and lower rad hoses. New battery terminals and connections for the winch. All are MUCH easier when the new engine is on a stand.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
petey156
1977 CJ5 

If you are pulling the oil pan, You might as well pull a few rod and main caps off and check the bearings for copper color showing. If all looks good, I would put a high flow oil pump in.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.