4.0 Head and MPI Swap to CJ - What is this thing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 4.0 Head and MPI Swap to CJ - What is this thing?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
dirtyb
1981 CJ8 

Cj 4.0 Head and MPI Swap to CJ - What is this thing?

I feel stupid asking this, but I've never worked on a fuel injected engine before (only old harleys, CJ's and lawn mowers ).

What is this thing?

I'm swapping a head and MPI set up from a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee onto my CJ-8. I grabbed this thing from the donor vehicle, but I'm not sure what it's for and if I need it. It's got a 4 prong electrical plug that is still on the donor wiring harness, a spot for a vacuum hose, and a cable that fits onto the the throttle. I'm guessing it has something to do with raising RPMs for a warm up period or maybe the cruise control.

Has anyone done an MPI swap specifically with a 1994 Grand Cherokee? I read on some other posts that there may be a security system that needs to get bypassed on the computer.

rps20120416_062208_435.jpg  
dirtyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
meatlord

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely looks like cruise components to me.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

That's the cruise control.
Idle is controlled by the computer with the idle air control servo on the throttle body, (cylindrical unit on the side 90 off from the throttle lever).

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
dirtyb
1981 CJ8 

Then that answers my question. I'll put it on Craig's list in case someone needs a replacement, because my old CJ is not gonna have cruise control.

thanks for the help
dirtyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.