302 or 305? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 302 or 305?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
LS this LS that, geez flip the freeking record. LS motors are expensive, fuel and electrical systems for them are expensive, adapting them to common jeep transmissions is expensive. And power and economy, whatever. Take a 302 with the right combo of junkyard factory parts and couple dirt cheap craigslist basics, it will produce just a hair under 300hp, and get around 20 mpg in a modest jeep. All while bolting almost directly to atleast 4 common jeep transmissions usually with nothing more than a factory ford bellhousing. Ford has the bolt in advantage in jeeps admit it not to mention the SBF has a directly interchangable year range of around 30 years. With the only difference ever being the exhaust ports on the very last 302s. Outside of that basically everything is interchangeable.

Im assuming the OP asked 302 or 305 because they didnt want to sink a bunch of money into a expensive and fickle LS. Heres a question. Cheapest and quickest way to get non amc(i love my 360) V8 power in a non v8 jeep? Its gonna come out ford.

Sorry I just cant stand how newer chevy motors are ruining hot rodding and now it seems to have taken hold in jeeps aswell.
Typically I'm a "Ford guy".

What would be a good donor for a 5.0? Grab a complete Explorer or Mountaineer? Is there a good/better year?

Then what to use for an auto trans with overdrive? 4R70 or maybe there is some Ford auto 5 speed that bolts up that I'm not aware of?

And how to bolt a 231 to that auto trans? Or forget about the 231 and use some other t-case?

JustRight, I hope I'm not derailing your thread.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #47
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

As far as 302 go the later 90s explorers had the most power from the factory so those are good choices. Any roller cam engine (86 up)will greatly benefit from later model GT40(GT40p) style heads. If you have an earlier engine 289 or 351 heads from the 60s are the best. You could use either head on newer or earlier as long as the valvetrain is suited for the cam. 88 and up have greater fuel economy potential along with many cheap easy bolt ons. And The carbed motors are about as easy as it gets to acheive alot of power. An iron head motor with machine work, good compression and a good cam can get over 400hp without being too radical. As far as transmissions go, I know literally nothing of automatics in jeeps, personally ive only ever seen one and it was a rental car.
To my knowledge most of the automatics in newer jeep(80s and up) are not heavy duty enough for V8 use. The transmissions that work directly with fords are all manuals from the cj years T18(t19),T150,T176,T5(t4 but why lol). They came with D20 or D300 transfer cases, but can work with other NP cases. Novak adapters has alot of details on what fits and what doesnt and with 22,000 posts im sure youve heard of them.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #48
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
.. Novak adapters has alot of details on what fits and what doesnt and with 22,000 posts im sure youve heard of them.
I've always thought the Novak adapters were over priced, so I don't pay any attention to them.

I've viewed their website a few times, and what I've seen is general info. Its a good place to start, but I think the forums are the better place to find the detailed info.

Thanks for reply and all the info.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #49
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

They are expensive but they will tell you what bolts to what and how. Ive also known them to be informative over the phone for free too. Reading 10 different auto magazines regularly for over a decade helps too.
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #50
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Don't think Novak is significantly more expensive than Advance or anyone else, although I haven't priced them lately.

I'd agree on the late-90's Exploder motors. They had GT40 heads already on them, IIRC. Good motors.

I think the auto trannys in CJ's of any year are sufficient for a V-8. Not sure about YJ's or TJ's, though.

Late 90's Vortecs are great, too. I'm also not big on the LS engine or the Ford modulars in Jeeps, either. Guess I just like the older stuff better.
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #51
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

By the way just read the new Hot Rod magazine and it has a $130,000 4400 hp hemi build in it. Might be a good swap, eh?
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #52
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

if you ask a question what size engine your going to get some one to say hey go LS go this, go that . It comes down to preference... I chose a SBC It had TBI it ran well and my 5 doesn't weight much. a SBF would have been just as easy . but I wanted an overdrive so id have to adapt either way.

But I just don't see 305 being worth it , from memory a 350 will bolt right up anyway so why go 305?

I don't know how interchangeable a 302 is to other ford engines .
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #53
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

The biggest differences in the 255-260-289-302-351 Windsor family is crankshaft stroke and connecting rod length. And 351 intakes only fit 351 block heights(it has a taller deck 9.2 vs. 8.5 i beleive).

I would choose a 350 over a 305 aswell.
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #54
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
The biggest differences in the 255-260-289-302-351 Windsor family is crankshaft stroke and connecting rod length. And 351 intakes only fit 351 block heights(it has a taller deck 9.2 vs. 8.5 i beleive).

I would choose a 350 over a 305 aswell.
Bottom line its just what you want man both engines have diehard followers... but a 350 over a 305 , just makes more sense..
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #55
UtahCJGirl
1977 CJ7 

One point that hasn't been touched yet: Do you live where emission testing and inspections are done? Older engines like the 302 or the 305 might not meet the emission requirements (at least not without a lot of modifications). Some crate engines might have the same problems, as they are built for hot rod use. You might be stuck finding something from a production vehicle that is 1987 or newer.
UtahCJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #56
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCJGirl View Post
One point that hasn't been touched yet: Do you live where emission testing and inspections are done? Older engines like the 302 or the 305 might not meet the emission requirements (at least not without a lot of modifications). Some crate engines might have the same problems, as they are built for hot rod use. You might be stuck finding something from a production vehicle that is 1987 or newer.
That's a good point.

I don't know if OP's info in his profile is correct, but it says Wyoming....and luckily for him, I think they have no smog laws.
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCJGirl View Post
and the actual law that the same year or newer engine statement comes from also has the provision that it must be available from the manufacturer of the vehicle it's going into as a stock motor.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

in Texas you cant swap motors unless they are from the same model year or newer. But if its a classic ( 25 years) its exempt... from my understanding . Just check with your DMV for your state before you make changes like that.
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #59
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

I dont live in a state that has laws like that but if i did I would get reall good at swaping original motors back in every year. You cant stop me from hot roddin.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #60
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Here in NC, only 96 and newer cars get emissions inspections. Everything else gets safety-only.

But after cars are 35 years old, they don't even get that. My 81 is free and clear in 3 years.

But the 406 that's in it now is still no problem, since it's safety-only. I think "technically", they're supposed to just verify the smog stuff is on there, but nobody does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.