302 or 305? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 302 or 305?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #31
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
^ Guess I remember the 305 differently.

It was a dog, or should I say "boat anchor".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
^ Good point, I think that is what I was trying to say before I busted out the 1990 magazine article.

A common Ford 302 is better than a common Chevy 305, at least in my opinion.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, certainly, but I just don't see how the 'average 302' is better than the 'average 305'.

The truck 302's and 305's had about the same power. The car versions had the same power. And the sports car (Mustang/Camaro) had about the same power, year-to-year.

Some years one might have had the advantage over the other, but they were always close. Either one would do fine in a Jeep. If you put a truck 305 or truck 302 from the same year in a Jeep, you're going to have basically the same performance. Same thing if you put a Mustang 302 or a Z-28's 305. 225 HP is 225 HP. 170 is 170. And so on. One would not be better than the other, if you consider what it might have come out of.

Yeah, if you compare a Mustang 5.0 to a C-1500's 305, it's going to run better. But if that 5.0 came out of an F-150, then whichever one is newer will likely have the most power. As I said before several times, apples to apples. Don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

last word
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Apples to apples is a cliche argument that can be applied to any situation.

Ford gives up 3 cubes, therefore it is not apples to apples.

Exploder 5.0 vs. what Chevy 5.0 would be a good, readily available donor? Maybe that will help get this thread back towards topic.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

2013 5.0 vs 2013 6.2? Seems unfair but ford still pulls its own
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #35
UtahCJGirl
1977 CJ7 

Personally I would go with the 302, as I have personal experience with them. We installed a 302 in our 1965 F250, the truck was involved in a accident that perforated the radiator, (before the days of cell phones), the poor truck got us home but then the engine seized, after sitting overnight the engine started right up, blew some blue smoke for a few minutes and then cleared right up. This took place in the late 80's and the engine is still running strong to this day.
UtahCJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahCJGirl View Post
Personally I would go with the 302, as I have personal experience with them. We installed a 302 in our 1965 F250, the truck was involved in a accident that perforated the radiator, (before the days of cell phones), the poor truck got us home but then the engine seized, after sitting overnight the engine started right up, blew some blue smoke for a few minutes and then cleared right up. This took place in the late 80's and the engine is still running strong to this day.
Been there, done that, s%!& my pants, fired right up. Only difference was it was a 351W.
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #37
UtahCJGirl
1977 CJ7 

I didn't have the pants problem , but I did feel really sick in my stomach. The sounds and the smell of that poor engine still haunts me to this day.
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #38
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Kinda like forest gump said "it happens".
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
UtahCJGirl
1977 CJ7 

I love visualizing that scene!
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #40
tdkask

Okay... hopefully all the bickering is passed...

I don't recommend either. They are both decent engines for their time and can be built for decent power with tons of cash dumped into them, but were engineered in a time when our need for fuel economy improvements were ahead of our ability to make it efficient.

If you want to see a big V8 and feel the power and have a carbed engine and don't care about gas, just get a 360. You can often find a Waggy with a 360 for cheap, and still use the same trans, etc from a Jeep.

If you want more power and economy and don't mind putting in a little more time or money, go with a Chevy LS motor. I suggest the 5.3 LM7. It's in almost every truck made by Chevy or GMC after 99, and has 300 hp with no mods. You can find them cheap in the salvage yards and mod the wiring yourself or buy a ready-made harness from places like Painless. Bolt up a SM465 and a D300 and now you have to worry about axles and driveshafts breaking more than anything.

We are in an era now when the old 302 and 305 just don't make a lot of sense any more if you are starting fresh.
USN Jeep Club Hull #135 (Retired USN 1992-2012)
'80 CJ7__258, TF999, D300__'86 CJ WT D44/D30's(3.54s)__GPF custom front/rear bumpers
4" springs__33x15s on black steelies__Galaxy DX959 CB__Cage (built onto YJ "family" bar)
tdkask is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I agree with the above. Why use such a small, older motor, when bigger, more powerful and more fuel-efficient motors are more readily available?

I am personally not a huge fan of the AMC motors, but I do understand some folks wanting to keep it "all AMC". Then again, what, exactly IS "AMC"? They used parts from practically everyone.
AMC:
All
Makes
Combined

That right there makes me not too sentimental about swapping another maker's powerplant in. Use whatever you can get a good deal on....nearly any Ford or Chevy engine is better than any AMC engine. I'd skip the Chrysler engines, though.
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
bent2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have to say that although chevy makes a good versitile motor....... i've heard ford fits better. the 302 comes with the water pump, alt, and other gadgets more to the outside edges of of the motor making more room for the fan to do its job. chevy puts the above mentioned parts more towards the front
bent2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent2000 View Post
i have to say that although chevy makes a good versitile motor....... i've heard ford fits better. the 302 comes with the water pump, alt, and other gadgets more to the outside edges of of the motor making more room for the fan to do its job. chevy puts the above mentioned parts more towards the front
The Ford motors are smaller, physically, but space or cooling isn't a problem with either. Both swaps are pretty scienced-out at this point. Pretty fool-proof if you follow the info that's out there on them.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #44
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
...If you want more power and economy and don't mind putting in a little more time or money, go with a Chevy LS motor. I suggest the 5.3 LM7. ...
I agree, I think this is currently the best option for the price/power.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #45
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

LS this LS that, geez flip the freeking record. LS motors are expensive, fuel and electrical systems for them are expensive, adapting them to common jeep transmissions is expensive. And power and economy, whatever. Take a 302 with the right combo of junkyard factory parts and couple dirt cheap craigslist basics, it will produce just a hair under 300hp, and get around 20 mpg in a modest jeep. All while bolting almost directly to atleast 4 common jeep transmissions usually with nothing more than a factory ford bellhousing. Ford has the bolt in advantage in jeeps admit it not to mention the SBF has a directly interchangable year range of around 30 years. With the only difference ever being the exhaust ports on the very last 302s. Outside of that basically everything is interchangeable.

Im assuming the OP asked 302 or 305 because they didnt want to sink a bunch of money into a expensive and fickle LS. Heres a question. Cheapest and quickest way to get non amc(i love my 360) V8 power in a non v8 jeep? Its gonna come out ford.

Sorry I just cant stand how newer chevy motors are ruining hot rodding and now it seems to have taken hold in jeeps aswell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.