3 & 4 Link Calculators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 3 & 4 Link Calculators

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

3 & 4 Link Calculators

I'm sure these will come in handy for those using this forum. You will need Excel to use them.

3 Link Calculator
4 Link Calculator

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl
I'm sure these will come in handy for those using this forum. You will need Excel to use them.

3 Link Calculator
4 Link Calculator
I can't open these on my phone but I've seen the ones on pirate... The ones on pirate aren't so user friendly. Do these need "how-to's"?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There's a text file (in the ZIP) that looks like a brief "how-to".
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

What is "vehicle CG Height"
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Center of gravity height? Maybe it should have been GC (Ground Clearance).

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Center of gravity height. IIRC the basic cheat method is the center of your engine. This goes into extensive detail. http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/cog/#_Toc535118705

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to a dumbed down version on Pirate http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...center+gravity

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to use these calculators, you need to fully understand that the outputs will only be as accurate as the inputs, referring mainly to the CG height. You can estimate it pretty closely (I use approx location of the throwout bearing or center of bell housing) but going through the entire process to determine exactly where it is is lengthy and complex. If you're wanting to design and build a suspension, don't focus so much on the calculator but instead focus on the set of conventions, or "general rules". A link suspension is just a geometric system. Break it down into the X, Y, and Z planes and look at the mounting points and distances between them. That's what determines the behavior of the suspension.

There are hundreds of good link resources out there. Here's a good one to get the gears turning.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168577

Once you've got a very solid fundamental understanding of the terminology used, what it all means, and how all of the numbers are derived THEN play with the calculator to use as a verification tool.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you're going to use these calculators, you need to fully understand that the outputs will only be as accurate as the inputs, referring mainly to the CG height. You can estimate it pretty closely (I use approx location of the throwout bearing or center of bell housing) but going through the entire process to determine exactly where it is is lengthy and complex. If you're wanting to design and build a suspension, don't focus so much on the calculator but instead focus on the set of conventions, or "general rules". A link suspension is just a geometry system. Break it down into the X, Y, and Z planes and look at the mounting points and distances between them. That's what determines the behavior of the suspension.

There are hundreds of good link resources out there. Here's a good one to get the gears turning.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168577

Once you've got a very solid fundamental understanding of the terminology used, what it all means, and how all of the numbers are derived THEN play with the calculator to use as a verification tool.
The center of gravity measurement is important, but for the heck of it I started changing it in my calculations to see how badly it would affect the other measurements and truthfully changing it up or down a few inches does not seem to make a lot of difference on the the numbers. So going with the center of the engine or the upper bellhousing bolt as other writeups suggest. Seems to be fine. Overall the whole process looks a lot harder than it actually is. Once you stick the wheel base and tire diameter in and then all the link measurements it becomes a lot less intimidating and gives a lot better insight of where to place link mounts.
Once that is done start playing with link locations to see how it affects antisquat and roll center. Just got done repositioning my upper rear link frame mounts to make the numbers look better. Haven't taken it on some big ledges and steep climbs yet though to see if the rear tires hook better.
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
The center of gravity measurement is important, but for the heck of it I started changing it in my calculations to see how badly it would affect the other measurements and truthfully changing it up or down a few inches does not seem to make a lot of difference on the the numbers.
Yep, thanks for mentioning that. I was surprised at how inelastic that relationship was as well. So, you can almost say that estimating it is 'good enough' AS LONG AS you have some adjustment built into the uppers and have a very good understanding of the rest of the parameters.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know how to find the COG horizontally, thats easy. But how do you locate the point vertically? Just out of curiosity. Using the top bell housing bolt is good enough for me.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I know how to find the COG horizontally, thats easy. But how do you locate the point vertically? Just out of curiosity. Using the top bell housing bolt is good enough for me.
There is a link in the text file that comes with the download that sends you to the Jeepaholics forum, where they give you a in depth description of how to figure that out. Is pretty involved, but an interesting read
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345

There is a link in the text file that comes with the download that sends you to the Jeepaholics forum, where they give you a in depth description of how to figure that out. Is pretty involved, but an interesting read
I must have skimmed over that post.

Very interesting indeed. Maybe its just his abbreviations, but that seems overly complicated. I just had a Statics class and learned all about CoG, it didn't seem nearly as involved. Of course breaking things down to linear components for calculation simplicity ends up taking more calculations.

*edit*
Just took a look at the spreadsheet. Wow that's easy. Now I need a place with a scale willing to deal with these shinanigans.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

So does "forward from rear axle centerline" mean from the center of the axle and axle tube (near pumkin) or straight forward from the center of the axle tube?
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs
So does "forward from rear axle centerline" mean from the center of the axle and axle tube (near pumkin) or straight forward from the center of the axle tube?
Looking at it from the side, like its a 2D object.
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.