2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap

Most of my mods up to this point have been pretty tame, the biggest one being a 3" lift. So I'm a bit of a newbie.

I love my Jeep but hate it's engine. Putting a 4.0 I6 in it would be amazing. I've been trying to do some research on it and thought it would be one of those threads that gets dredged up every few weeks or so but can't seem to find a single one.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Is it the most compatible engine in regards to transfer case and transmission issues? What other sorts of issues can I expect? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude
Srt4 swap :P

Biggest issue I see is emissions.

Sent from my black box in my silver pos box
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ View Post
Most of my mods up to this point have been pretty tame, the biggest one being a 3" lift. So I'm a bit of a newbie.

I love my Jeep but hate it's engine. Putting a 4.0 I6 in it would be amazing. I've been trying to do some research on it and thought it would be one of those threads that gets dredged up every few weeks or so but can't seem to find a single one.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Is it the most compatible engine in regards to transfer case and transmission issues? What other sorts of issues can I expect? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.
It's really not that hard. But depending on your local laws it maybe a littler harder finding a 04-06 swap to put back in the same year or new motor.

Your PCM and dash is PCI so you want a motor from a 01-06 Wrangler. It'll make it easier on you since the harness and pcm will work with your gauges. You'll have to move your motor mounts. If I was you I'd find a donor vehicle so all your parts are there.

You maybe able to get away with using your engine harness, comparing it's pinouts to those of the PCM for the new motor and adding the extra injectors that you need.

Although if you are going to go for this much work just for the 4.0 most will say including me to go bigger than a 4.0. They are great motors but leave a lot to be desired

Also you'll want to swap in the trans from the 4.0 and if you can grab the tcase, it'll help in the long run.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
You'll have to move your motor mounts. If I was you I'd find a donor vehicle so all your parts are there.
I'll have to replace the motor mounts but the tabs on the frame can stay in the same spot right? No cutting and welding?
()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No you have to move the frame mounts. Why most people go a v8 swap because it's the same amount of work for the 4.0 or V8
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.