2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap

Labor Day Sale at UCF!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2004 TJ 2.4 to 4.0 swap

Most of my mods up to this point have been pretty tame, the biggest one being a 3" lift. So I'm a bit of a newbie.

I love my Jeep but hate it's engine. Putting a 4.0 I6 in it would be amazing. I've been trying to do some research on it and thought it would be one of those threads that gets dredged up every few weeks or so but can't seem to find a single one.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Is it the most compatible engine in regards to transfer case and transmission issues? What other sorts of issues can I expect? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude
Srt4 swap :P

Biggest issue I see is emissions.

Sent from my black box in my silver pos box
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ View Post
Most of my mods up to this point have been pretty tame, the biggest one being a 3" lift. So I'm a bit of a newbie.

I love my Jeep but hate it's engine. Putting a 4.0 I6 in it would be amazing. I've been trying to do some research on it and thought it would be one of those threads that gets dredged up every few weeks or so but can't seem to find a single one.

Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Is it the most compatible engine in regards to transfer case and transmission issues? What other sorts of issues can I expect? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.
It's really not that hard. But depending on your local laws it maybe a littler harder finding a 04-06 swap to put back in the same year or new motor.

Your PCM and dash is PCI so you want a motor from a 01-06 Wrangler. It'll make it easier on you since the harness and pcm will work with your gauges. You'll have to move your motor mounts. If I was you I'd find a donor vehicle so all your parts are there.

You maybe able to get away with using your engine harness, comparing it's pinouts to those of the PCM for the new motor and adding the extra injectors that you need.

Although if you are going to go for this much work just for the 4.0 most will say including me to go bigger than a 4.0. They are great motors but leave a lot to be desired

Also you'll want to swap in the trans from the 4.0 and if you can grab the tcase, it'll help in the long run.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
You'll have to move your motor mounts. If I was you I'd find a donor vehicle so all your parts are there.
I'll have to replace the motor mounts but the tabs on the frame can stay in the same spot right? No cutting and welding?
()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No you have to move the frame mounts. Why most people go a v8 swap because it's the same amount of work for the 4.0 or V8
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
schranz

What did you decide to do on the nigine swap? I'm wondering about it myself
schranz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
corwood21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been pondering about 4.0 or a v8 but won't the 4.0 last longer than a v8? I hate my 2.4l and need more power but I'm worried about the frame to put a v8 in a little bittie tj frame its kind of sketchy to me....
corwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Grunt77
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You should really search more. A V8 is what the TJ should have had from the factory. The 4.0 isn't exactly a powerhouse. I would get a Chevy/GM 5.3 for $500 all day long and be done with it.

RIP SSG Brad King. KIA April 2, 2007
Grunt77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt77 View Post
You should really search more. A V8 is what the TJ should have had from the factory. The 4.0 isn't exactly a powerhouse. I would get a Chevy/GM 5.3 for $500 all day long and be done with it.
The op is not asking about difference in motor selections, that's why I deleted your last response. And again your right back on the topic of doing a V8 again.

This is the advance section not romper room, stay on topic, apply input about that topic, maybe insert opinions as you go along but don't try and derail the topic or your getting another post deleted!

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
emcee5000
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did a 99 2.5L to 2002 4.0L way back in 2003. Wiring was the biggest challenge due to the BUS (PCI vs CCD), communication between computer and Jeep sensors/parts. I would imagine having the same BUS would make the wiring issues I experienced a little easier. I did splice in the 4.0 engine, PDC with the existing 2.5 wiring and internal fusebox. I did have to replace the instrument cluster but you should not have to. A requirement is an FSM for both current jeep and year of engine you will be swapping in as I compared pinout by pinout the wiring, tedious but I have always passed ODBII inspection.

Yes, you will need to weld in new 4.0 brackets to the frame but that is not very difficult, just measure and re-measure. Depending on tranny, I swapped in an NV3550 and kept my original TCase just had to switch from a 21 spline input gear to a 23 spline.

My first project was the engine swap, transmission, suspension and then a little later an 8.8. As long as it is not your daily driver and you have time to work on it at your own pace it can be done.

Do I wish I swapped in a V8...definitely, do I think it would pass inspection every year if I did, probably not. At the time I was living in NY and they have VERY strict engine swap and inspection rules, might want to check your local laws before even considering it.
emcee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
emcee5000
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow...just noticed I answered his question from 2 plus years ago, oh well
emcee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
jason m
Nothing but the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee5000 View Post
Wow...just noticed I answered his question from 2 plus years ago, oh well
Info is still relevant.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
corwood21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the info. Even though this is old.. I want a good strong engine that is easy for me to work on if I go with v8 but I'm stuck on what v8 I should buy
corwood21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Ef4life
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Imo the 2.4 is a great engine, it has a lot going for it in the easy to work on aspect. Already has an electric cooling fan. And good gas mileage, I average over 17mpg and get closer to 20 when I stay on side streets mostly. For off-roading it has plenty of power in 4lo especially if geared properly with larger tires.

Swapping in a 4.0, imo not worth the hassle, you would need the whole engine and trans too. Tcase possibly if they aren't the same spline count. Moving frame mounts etc. all for less gas mileage and slightly more power. But if you do it right you could have it look 100% factory.

A chevy 4.8 or 5.3 is really the only good choice for a v8 imo because the engines can be had for 500-1000 anywhere in the USA. Hundreds of thousands of them. Find a 5.3 with aluminum block you'd get about 330hp, and plenty of torque to spin any size tire. Also you'd be getting better mileage than the 4.0, probably the 2.4 also. Only downsides is cost and difficultly keeping a manual trans if you want one/have one and it's still the same amount of work as the 4.0 swap

Hemi swaps are possible too, but probably even more expensive than the chevy swap with no real extra benefits.
Ef4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.