2.5/2.8 VM diesel - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 2.5/2.8 VM diesel

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The 2.5 Liter Land Rover turbodiesel, although light on power, is one of the best engines I've had the chance to drive. Should be widely available. Just a thought. Not sure when they stopped making it though. I've read it wasn't put in the Defender past 1990, not sure of other models.

1.9 VW would be my choice though. Best mix of power, weight and efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
Motas
1983 CJ10 

You are correct sundowner. But hilux diesels are gutless. The weight won't make up for it.
I mainly want to gain power on the street and range (fuel efficiency). Without losing reliability, off road power etc. it's annoying sometimes on a short freeway on ramp or things like that where it just needs a bit more get up and go. It's actually quiet unsafe trying to pull out on to a freeway it's that slow. I want something that when i put my foot down it it really gets goin. And the range is bad but its going to remain bad. Probably end up putting an extra fuel tank in instead of trying to fix it.
Will check out the land rovers.
Thanks.
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
You are correct sundowner. But hilux diesels are gutless. The weight won't make up for it.
I mainly want to gain power on the street and range (fuel efficiency). Without losing reliability, off road power etc. it's annoying sometimes on a short freeway on ramp or things like that where it just needs a bit more get up and go. It's actually quiet unsafe trying to pull out on to a freeway it's that slow. I want something that when i put my foot down it it really gets goin. And the range is bad but its going to remain bad. Probably end up putting an extra fuel tank in instead of trying to fix it.
Will check out the land rovers.
Thanks.
Perhaps a combination of engine, gearing and weight reduction will get you to where you need to be. Not all equations are solved by changing the value of a single variable.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If your jeep is still on stock 3.07 gears, re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88 will accomplish your goals for way less money and time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #35
Motas
1983 CJ10 

It is on 33s with stock gearing and I realize this is a huge factor, but I am basing this on the performance with stock tyres. I do plan to regear though especially since I will be going to 35s. Just haven't had the chance yet as I need a roadworthy certificate before I strip it down.
I am planning on keeping it as light as possible when I rebuild. Where can I save weight? I know aluminum bumpers and skid plates and alike will save some weight but is there much else I can do?
What do you mean by engine? Stroke, turbo, supercharge etc? Or do you mean an engine conversion.
Also I am not worried about the work involved, the time needed planning and researching. I have a fair bit of time and I'm young and healthy so can do it. And we also have a hoist, engine crane and everything we need to do it properly. Any specialized tools that we don't have I will get. My only constraints are the cost and the effectiveness of the results. I'm happy to put a decent amount of money into the engine but only if the results are worth the costs. I realize this is subjective but I'm sure you all know what I mean. And I will be doing all the work myself (for cost savings and quality) so the costs shouldn't be too bad compared to a professionally done conversion.
Thanks for everyones help.
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
Geo-Nemesis
2002 WJ 

VM 2.5 it's not THAT bad.
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is some info to help bolt an AX-15 to Toyota
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.