1978 ford hp D60. what front lockout hubs to get? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 1978 ford hp D60. what front lockout hubs to get?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
jason m
your ad here...

Ah he needs the E-brake got ya.

Its going to be hard without a BOM or at least a year of truck. Worst case is you have the guy behind counter bring out every applacation he has and match them up.

Maybe a wire wheel on the tube where the BOM would be. Its there trust me, no axle was not made without one, how rusted or pitted well thats another question.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it wasn't very rusted, and mike sand blasted the axles already.

it may have been cleaned off in the past though. hard to say with potentially 40 year old axles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i was so busy on the first page and doing some homework i kept editing my last post and never realized you huys hit page 2. talk about tunnel vision. anyhow i'll know more of what's going on saturday. the guy had a sammy in the garage today getting a header and some other work. we just did some brainstorming and got a plan of attack in place. hopefully we actually turn wrenches this weekend.

that rear was rusted enough around where the u-bolts were that paul isn't happy leaving the tube that thin in those places. we are talking about plating over and trussing the top to ensure it stays straight. it's pretty rusty. it's pitted over an 1/8" deep on the pass side in that location.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

That's not too bad. I always recommend a truss when building from a bare housing. No matter the axle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im currently in the hunt for tons and learning as I go along. If you havent seen it, this is an awesome article:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Its pretty much a front D60 bible. Hope it helps
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #21
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
if the price of stock parts is close to the disk conversion i may do it but the price would have to be pretty close.

i have been cruising pirate but the bible only has front axle id's on it.

i'm also finding a mbl300 1 ton for the mlitary dodge that also seems to have this casting number.

i'm still reading as we speak.

first edit:
seems that most all of the 70's 3/4 and 1 tons all used the same rear brake setup. still reading...

second edit:
i think i may be settled on the brake drums. i won;t make any final decisions until i go look for part numbers on the drums themselves. i'd really like to get inside the drum and look at the hardware and numbers on them. if i can get them all to agree that it's a 70's 3/4 or 1 ton dodge then i'll order them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropleyqk View Post
Im currently in the hunt for tons and learning as I go along. If you havent seen it, this is an awesome article:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Its pretty much a front D60 bible. Hope it helps
yup i know of that article. lol i quoted myself from earlier. that article is what i was talking about in that post. lol but i do appreciate the input very much.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #22
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yup i know of that article. lol i quoted myself from earlier. that article is what i was talking about in that post. lol but i do appreciate the input very much.
ah, sorry, only skimmed the thread.
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #23
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

well decided to go with the disk conversion after all. rotors, calipers, brackets, and hydro e-brake was all under $250. ... crap! i just realized i forgot the brake pads in that order! lol oh well not needed for fab anyhow.

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #24
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
i just realized i forgot the brake pads in that order! lol oh well not needed for fab anyhow.
If there weld on caliper brackets you will need the pads to line up the bracket and then tack it in place.

I figured you would end up with disc's sooner than later. The cost of the drums and trying to figure it all out was maybe a hair more but alot better/cheaper in the long run.
What about the E-brake, or are you no going to install one.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

they are bolt on brackets. i am going to use a hydraulic ratcheting hand brake for an e-brake. i have been told they are not entirely legal in the pa inspection manual, i'll take my chances. way i see it all i need is a tee in the line running back the frame rail that goes to the hand brake and blammy! instant e-brake.

and yes half the push to go to a disk was the hair i was pulling out finding exactly what drum, wheel cylinder, and brake hardware i needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.