1977 CJ7 Dana 60's Frt & Rear, Need Help Please??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 1977 CJ7 Dana 60's Frt & Rear, Need Help Please???

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
MikeYeager

1977 CJ7 Dana 60's Frt & Rear, Need Help Please???

Hi everyone,

Its been along time since we built one of these types of Jeeps, I have a few questions for my buddy...

1...Who makes the Very Best Dana 60 35 Spline Manual Locking/Unlocking Hubs..??

2...Will Chrome Steel 15x10 8x6.5 back spacing 4.25" fit over the front Dana 60 Calipers..??

3...We are doing a spring over and streching the wheel base 6"-10" longer...Doing the reverse shackle on the front...What Leaf Springs would you use for ALL around best ride on the street and still give good flex off road...The plan is to run 35" Boggers..

I know the front CJ leaf springs are very norrow compared to the YJ leaf Springs...Would you just run a set of YJ leaf springs front and rear..?? or CJ..??

4...Also whats the choice 5 or 6 speed manual trans & transfer case, we were going to go with a NP205 Transfer case..The Jeep has a AMC 360 Engine in it now...The axles have 5.13 or 5.18 or 5.38's..cant remember...
We used to use a NV4500 but which one cost less to install, the Chevy or Dodge..?? just thinking out loud right now...

5...Does anyone know those measurements on YJ springs, I think they are centered up...??

My buddy definitely wants to keep it a Manual transmission...

Please anyone and everyone give there opinions especially if you have experience...

Last edited by MikeYeager; 04-08-2013 at 07:15 PM..
MikeYeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Sounds like you're planning a hell of a build, you sure you only want 35s? lol

How do you plan on stretching the wheelbase? I know some springs have the axle offset closer to one end and can be used to stretch wb, so if thats the plan then YJ springs wouldn't work. But yes, stock CJ leaf springs are 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear (for '76+). YJs are 2.5" front and rear
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
MikeYeager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
Sounds like you're planning a hell of a build, you sure you only want 35s? lol

How do you plan on stretching the wheelbase? I know some springs have the axle offset closer to one end and can be used to stretch wb, so if thats the plan then YJ springs wouldn't work. But yes, stock CJ leaf springs are 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear (for '76+). YJs are 2.5" front and rear
Hi, thanks for the info...But I need more of expert opinions, but thanks for yours (jp360cj)..

We back in the late 80's early 90's came up with a custom built front end that you attached to the CJ front frame horns...Were the stock CJ frame straightens out forward about 4-6 behind the front of the front part of the grill, we welded, or some people who bought our kits wanted to bolt it on, but we NEVER recomended bolting it on...

You did bring up a great point which i forgot about and thats the spring mount point where the spring bolts together, from that point measured out to each end where the leaf spring bushings go...

Question

5...Does anyone know those measurements on YJ springs, I think they are centered up...??

Last edited by MikeYeager; 04-08-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about most of the questions. But #2, about the wheels, the answer is no. They will not clear for sure. I know a guy running 15x10's with 2" backspacing, and he had to do a very heavy shave on the calipers to get them to fit.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
MikeYeager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
I don't know about most of the questions. But #2, about the wheels, the answer is no. They will not clear for sure. I know a guy running 15x10's with 2" backspacing, and he had to do a very heavy shave on the calipers to get them to fit.
Thanks (TimV), So he will need to go with 16x10's...

Keep the answers and opinions coming...
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Question #4 Novak Adapters website has a knowledge section filled with compatability info on most any powertrain combo you can figure up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.