15" rims on Dana 60's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 15" rims on Dana 60's

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

15" rims on Dana 60's

Im buying 40's for the tons i have going in. They are coming with 8 lug steelies. My question is I have heard of people running 15's by trimmign the caliper brackets and stuff. Butt this also depends on the backspacing of the rims, which is 3 & 5/8 back spacing. Do you thin ill need spacers too?

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
jason m
your ad here...

I have 16" rims they clear but barely, its werd my reersteer 60 has 1/2 ton calipers and I had grind them a smig to clear.
Thats because I made the 1/2 ton braket myself and It all depends on rim offset and caliper hight.
Its tuff to say if your rims will clear or not, pop them on and try, even if there close then there fine.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
RogueFab

At that low of BS, you will probably clear your steering arms, but you may have to grind a little on the calipers or run spacers. I like small wheels too. more sidewall to absorb stuff..
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I pretty much decided to just grind the calipers. The axles are already 69"wms so i dont want to go any wider with spacers.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
Unread 07-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

I took a grinder to my 79 Ford 60. Didn't take long and didn't take much work. I was suprised at how little I actually had to grind off.
two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_much_talk View Post
I took a grinder to my 79 Ford 60. Didn't take long and didn't take much work. I was suprised at how little I actually had to grind off.
What was the backspacing on the rims?

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure but honestly if the rim has to clear the caliper it doesn't matter if it's 3.5" or 5". I'll try to remember to get a measurement for you tomorrow night.

I'm old, call me after 8pm to remind me. 616-886-0046
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
zbd74
1980 CJ7 

Not sure if it matters now, but I ground down the calipers at all four corners for clearance. The backspace on my wheels are 4.25" no problem w/ clearances, I run chevy 3/4 ton calipers w/ 8-lug outers
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've got an HPD60 sitting in my garage waiting to be built and installed, and this is one of my concerns since I've got 8 37" tires that use 15" rims. One of the local fabricators near me said that if I convert to Chevy outers I can grind the calipers to fit 15" rims, but just reading this thread it sounded like maybe a couple folks made it work with the ford brakes that come with the 60. For those of you running 15" rims on a 60, how many of you are using ford calipers and rotors?

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
tlcnut
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running Terraflex Dana 60's front and rear with 15" wheels no prob.. I had them installed in a shop several years ago and I believe they were Cadillac calipers?? Don't hold me to it but I will research it if anyone is interested..
tlcnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I've got an HPD60 sitting in my garage waiting to be built and installed, and this is one of my concerns since I've got 8 37" tires that use 15" rims. One of the local fabricators near me said that if I convert to Chevy outers I can grind the calipers to fit 15" rims, but just reading this thread it sounded like maybe a couple folks made it work with the ford brakes that come with the 60. For those of you running 15" rims on a 60, how many of you are using ford calipers and rotors?
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

so i can run 15's on ford brakes? always heard ford brakes were bigger and could not run 15's. great news, as i just put a 79 HP 60 in my rig and thought i would have to go to larger wheels.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
so i can run 15's on ford brakes? always heard ford brakes were bigger and could not run 15's. great news, as i just put a 79 HP 60 in my rig and thought i would have to go to larger wheels.
Let me know how it turns out

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Let me know how it turns out
I'll know for sure, in a week or two

Unread 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

you shouldn't have to grind much at all to make it work. You need very little clearance between the rim and caliper.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.