1 Ton XJ - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > 1 Ton XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #91
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
My Barnes 4WD order arrived yesterday while I was at work. My other 2 orders should be here Monday, and of course I'm on duty again

Let's see some work!

How's it coming along? I'm trying to find a torch to get my outside front stiffeners sucked up against the big dip in the frame rail (where the motor mount sits on the inside). Can't seem to get it to close up.

Unread 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #92
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

More parts arrived yesterday! Just waiting on the 2 Johnny Joints being shipped from Currie. Started welding on the driver side frame stiffener tonight, no pics though.

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #93
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My other 2 JJs arrived on Thurs! Today I finished welding up the drivers side frame stiffener. Heres a crappy cell pic.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #94
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Over the last few days I've got to work on it here and there. Plated part of the inner frame with 1/8" plate the used a piece of 3 x 3/16" angle over that and butted it up to the frame stiffener. Plated a small section of the floor with 1/8" to tie the mount into the floor. Had to modify the Barnes upper link mount a bit cause it was a little to big. Just a little cut and bend and it fit better. Have about 4 1/2" vertical seperation on the frame end and about 8" on the axle end. Lower link is going to be roughly 36.5" long and upper about 36".

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #95
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Over the last few days I've got to work on it here and there. Plated part of the inner frame with 1/8" plate the used a piece of 3 x 3/16" angle over that and butted it up to the frame stiffener. Plated a small section of the floor with 1/8" to tie the mount into the floor. Had to modify the Barnes upper link mount a bit cause it was a little to big. Just a little cut and bend and it fit better. Have about 4 1/2" vertical seperation on the frame end and about 8" on the axle end. Lower link is going to be roughly 36.5" long and upper about 36".

]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/kevinlatta/XJ/DSC02368.jpg[/IMG]

]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk93/kevinlatta/XJ/DSC02367.jpg[/IMG]
Very friggin' sweet!

You worried about lock-to-lock clearance at all?

I took my lower links to a shop to get a 20* bend in them so that the tire will just fit in the nook of the bend. It will make alignments a little more difficult, but I figured the extra turning radius was worth it. Just waiting on them now.. -twiddles thumbs-

I like the way your upper link turned out - that's on the driver's side of the tube, correct?

I'm a little envious that you decided to make the upper link work like that.. my grinder had a bad day and I'm missing a lot of floorboard now because I wanted the upper link up inside the cabin.

Looking good!
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #96
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
Very friggin' sweet!

You worried about lock-to-lock clearance at all?

Turning the wheels it looks like there is enough clearance. Might have slight scrubage at very low psi (not sure until its all together). Remeber mine has DRW hubs, if I change to SRW hubs it might have issues.

I like the way your upper link turned out - that's on the driver's side of the tube, correct?

Yes

I'm a little envious that you decided to make the upper link work like that.. my grinder had a bad day and I'm missing a lot of floorboard now because I wanted the upper link up inside the cabin.

I didn't want mine coming through the floor either. After I laid down and stared at it for a while I decided that if I cut part of the bracket and bend the lower end up that it should work.

And in other news, my friend showed up today with a check for the motor and trans he wanted. Time to go shopping again!

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #97
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Placed an order with Ruff Stuff last night for their track bar kit. Hopefully I can pick up a stick of 2x1/4" tubing soon and get this thing back together soon. After that it should be just driveshafts and tie up a few loose ends to take it for a test drive.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #98
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the pass side frame stiffener ready to go. Maybe I'll get it on tomorrow.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #99
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the pass side frame stiffener and link mount on today. Plan on picking up 2" tubing on Wednesday to make the control arms.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #100
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the lower links together today. Decided to use Johnny Joints on both ends so I also placed an order for 2 more joints, nuts and tube inserts for the upper link. Lowers ended up at 36.75" and the wheelbase is at 106.5"

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #101
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good call using Jhonny joints on both ends.

Never heard anyone complain about it on a dedicated wheeler.

DO NOT DO WORK WITH DRAKEN OFFROAD IN NY!!!
(also known as dragons garage in Oneonta NY)
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #102
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, this is an impressive build. Thanks for documenting it so much, its given me some ideas, which may not be as extreme, but will save me in the long run.
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #103
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post

Never heard anyone complain about it on a dedicated wheeler.
Ive heard of issues before, but never had personal experience, so take what you want from that. But i have never heard of issues coming from a rufftuff heim, and i currently run them and love them.

Right now i run ruffstuff heims on both sides on my upper, (you dont want any rubber, poly, bushing etc) otherwise youll run into issues with axle wrap. I had issues with my old radius arm setup with rubber bushings, and it sucked.

Now i can romp the gas in 4 low and there is no axle wrap at all, not to mention it climbs like a mountain goat.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #104
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Got the lower links together today. Decided to use Johnny Joints on both ends so I also placed an order for 2 more joints, nuts and tube inserts for the upper link. Lowers ended up at 36.75" and the wheelbase is at 106.5"

What part of Lakeland you in?? I am down from Sav visiting family (Near auburndale walmart) and would love to see that project! and get your opinion on my ZJ
Unread 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #105
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
Had to cut a slight angle on the axle end so the arms would point in toward the frame some. One side worked out almost perfect and one binded like hell (both cut at the same angle), so instead of trying to figure out what the issue was I just decided to run JJs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Ive heard of issues before, but never had personal experience, so take what you want from that. But i have never heard of issues coming from a rufftuff heim, and i currently run them and love them.

Right now i run ruffstuff heims on both sides on my upper, (you dont want any rubber, poly, bushing etc) otherwise youll run into issues with axle wrap. I had issues with my old radius arm setup with rubber bushings, and it sucked.

Now i can romp the gas in 4 low and there is no axle wrap at all, not to mention it climbs like a mountain goat.

I've seen plenty of harcore and street driven rigs with JJs on both ends so I don't think there should be any problems. I considered Ruff Stuff's heims but decided on the JJs due to the mud here in the south. I think it would eat up the heims pretty quick and the JJs are greasable.

'05 LJ on 35s
...now parting out

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.