nitro vs electric - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > RC Rockcrawler Forum > nitro vs electric

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
jcooley7
1985 CJ7 

nitro vs electric

I've been wanting a RC truck what's pros an cons of each I like the sound an smell of nitro but are they worth the time if working on them

jcooley7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you like constantly tuning a nitro engine I say go for it !

I ran nitro for years an sold all of my RC's when I got out of the hobby. A few years ago I decided to get back into RC, An I had bought a Traxxas Slash. Once the stock slash motor bit the dust I went Brushless with lipo batteries an have not even considered going Nitro again. I will admit I do miss the sound of a Nitro Engine but not the attention of everyone around when I run it.
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used to race a RC10GT back in the late 90's. Tuning was simple, and once you tuned it, you left it alone. Most of the RTR kits you can buy now are about as good as the old team kits. I would just recommend using a 3 needle carb. You really do have to clean it a lot though. One trick I used to do was wrap my servos and Rx inside balloons so the wouldn't be covered in fuel.

The electric stuff now though...they are just as fast, and much cleaner. If I got back into it, If probably go electric...only problem is, the technology with motors and batteries has changed so much on the last 15yrs, I have no idea what I'm looking at anymore... Which makes me reconsider nitro.
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
meatbag187
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have both gas and electric trucks and the main difference is what kind of upkeep do you wish to do.here is a link to a tuning video for gas
.As for electric all you have to do is charge em up.Pros for gas i would say is when you run out of fuel just fill the tank and go.Electric my batteries take at least an hour to charge and cool to a safe temp.
meatbag187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running nitro trucks, stadium trucks and street cars for the past 12 years and nitro is very fun to run but the up keep on them sucks. Your constantly having to tune them, your spending about $30 in nitro every time you run one and depending on where you live at people can get mad about the sound of the nitro ones. I've had neighbors yell at me for driving mine in MY yard in the middle of the day.

I'd suggest electric for anyone now with how far the technology has come. You can buy 3 2s lipos for $100 and run for hours on end. In the long run I'd say electric will be much cheaper in the long run. Nitro prices keep getting more expensive also.

I know I'm sticking with electric now. It's nice to be able to go outside and just plug in a battery and start running.
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
backwoodsracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have worked on and ran both nitro and electric and I think that charging a battery and running is the way to go and the brushless cars have a crazy bottom end

image-3459527398.jpg
backwoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
jjshbetz11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nitro is not that bad. Gotta know how to tune. If you get a rtr sell the mill it comes with. I'm a fan of Werks engines. If you can get any grp with lots of pinch or new grab em.

sent from a flat black thingie

Hello 2000xj
jjshbetz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
DigitalPhoenix
1998 ZJ 

Use nitro for bashing, electric for racing. All will be well.

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
DigitalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.