HuLuD44's "RC Mini me" build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > RC Rockcrawler Forum > HuLuD44's "RC Mini me" build

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

HuLuD44's "RC Mini me" build

New to the RC world. But Ive been wanting to play around with this for a long time. Finally picked up the PS Wraith the other day. My plans are to replicate my real Jeep. Not too much planned as far as mods as of now. Custom Paint to match my Jeep, A few decals, some Pitbulls to match, and the fastback mod which Im in the process of doing to the full size.

Heres the new rig. Went with the wraith cause its the closest thing to my Jeep

Heres the real thing.

Got the paint in the mail today. All the black is just rustolium bedliner. Gonna pick up some clear coat later as well.

I just hope this doesnt get out of control like the big one did ahahahah

2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 38 TSL SX/ 3-4 link/ 103" WB
NYCJC
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...build-2789314/
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

stage 1 finished

NYCJC
Unread 01-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

First time out today. Had a blast. Truck did well. Better than I thought. Hit some big rocks, sand dunes, and some dirt climbs. High centered a lot. And when the tires got bound up in the rocks it just wouldnt move. Not sure if theres a more powerful motor I could put in it. dont wanna get too nuts. Paint took a beating. But I dont mind. Wish it wasnt so cold. Id still be out there

NYCJC
Unread 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Wraith. The stock 20T motors suck for crawling. I threw a 55T in mine it crawls great but the speed is lacking. If you want cheap any 30-35T motor would crawl pretty good and still have some wheel speed. Or even better are Holmes Hobbies motors though more expensive, yet there rebuildable. If you go this route look into a 27-35T crawlmaster pro or expert, you will keep the speed and gain crawl ability.
Unread 01-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Ill def look into it. Im totally new to RC and know nothing. But it was pretty obvious the crawl ratio was lacking. I could care less about speed. This is built for crawling for the most part. But like I said I dont want to pour a ton of money into this. The big Jeep is a burden enough. Plus the old lady wasnt all that pleased with me when I walked in the door with the RC ahahahhaah
NYCJC
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44 View Post
Thanks. Ill def look into it. Im totally new to RC and know nothing. But it was pretty obvious the crawl ratio was lacking. I could care less about speed. This is built for crawling for the most part. But like I said I dont want to pour a ton of money into this. The big Jeep is a burden enough. Plus the old lady wasnt all that pleased with me when I walked in the door with the RC ahahahhaah
If you dont care about speed and want to go cheap I'd pick up an Axial 35-50T ( T=turn The higher the turn the slow the rig moves) motor. I hear ya on not pouring $ into them but it gets addictive and necessary when you start breaking the stock parts. I started with a bone stock wraith then came new motor, than upgraded tranny gears, then this , then that. Im just over $ 800 in mine now , with a few more things I want. CHeck out RCCrawler.com they have a wraith section and alot of useful info . Got any questions just ask .
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the advice. I started looking at motors and they seem pretty reasonably priced. My only question is how compatible are all of these different makes of motors? Seems to be a lot of different companies that make them. Im looking at the T45 and T50s. Maybe even a 35. From what I read the 55 seems super slow and I wouldnt mind the option of a little bit of go fast sometimes. But I plan on mostly crawling.

Leaning toward these right now. But Im not sure what will work with the wraith.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Novak_Rock_S..._p/nvk3547.htm

http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_Fireba..._p/atk1335.htm
NYCJC
Unread 01-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Either of those will work . I personally will not use Novak they are real hit and miss. I have a Venom 55T ( its slow but crawls great )that's done me well. I recently took it out and threw in the stock 20t ( waiting for it to snow ) There a decent budget motor. As are Axial motors . Any brushed motor will work in the wraith. I'm going to order a Holmes Hobbies 35t crawlmaster expert which ALOT of wraith owners use. If you go brushless than you need to change out the ESC. Brushless is more for all out speed they can be made to crawl though. RPPhobby is where I order a lot of stuff.

Your just breaking the surface now. Wait till you need a new servo ( which its coming ) than you will be looking at those plus a BEC. Than there's the batteries Lipo vs NiMH. Don't let it all overwhelm you . I just got into it this spring and have spent countless hours researching parts. You know what they say " buy once , cry once "
You can relocate the battery to the front to improve climbing, flip the link mounts to lower the center of gravity. There a lot of tech stuff over on RCCRAWLER. Com ( especially in the stickies in the wraith section ).
Unread 01-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

ahaahaha NO Im not getting sucked in! I have enough on my plate as with the other one. But it is pretty interesting stuff. Thanks again
NYCJC
Unread 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am thinking of picking up a crawler to toy with. Does Axial make something like that?
Unread 01-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
I am thinking of picking up a crawler to toy with. Does Axial make something like that?
Axial only makes crawlers. The Wraith is more of a basher/ crawler. The SCX 10 line is more scale. They have 5-6 different Jeep bodies for the SCX, also just released a Ram and the deadbolt ( think old bronco/ scout 2 looking ). The Wraith is a 2.2 which is the wheel size wear as the SCX is 1.9.
2.2 makes every line look easy , 1.9 takes a lot more skill picking the right line.
Unread 01-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
hulud44
Fish Monger

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy just picked up the Spawn. Hes a bronco guy. ANd its kinda got that feel too.
NYCJC
Unread 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44 View Post
My buddy just picked up the Spawn. Hes a bronco guy. ANd its kinda got that feel too.
Proline makes a 66-77 Bronco body that's what I'm currently running on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.