Who smokes ribs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Who smokes ribs?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Who smokes ribs?

Hey all,, my new smoker is enroute and I'm really looking forward to making ribs, the ACE by my house has a huge selection of wood, rubs, sauce etc,,,anyone have a favorite recipe? Thanks

gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I slow cook my ribs. About 5.5 hours at 250. I put a drip pan underneath with water and apple juice. Every hour I spray with apple cider vinegar mixed with aple juice. When it pases the bend test I slather with bbq sauce and wait another 15 mins. I don't like cowboy lumo charcoal. I prefer royal oak. I smoke with some applewood as well. Thats how I make mine.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
ajmorell

I use a dry rub, though I might try brining them next time. I cold smoke them for about 3 hours, braze them for 3-4 hours at 225* and then finish them on the grill. I cook down the brazing liquid and use it as a glaze. My dry rub and brine are a slight variation of this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also make sure to pull the membrane off the ribs.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86
I slow cook my ribs. About 5.5 hours at 250. I put a drip pan underneath with water and apple juice. Every hour I spray with apple cider vinegar mixed with aple juice. When it pases the bend test I slather with bbq sauce and wait another 15 mins. I don't like cowboy lumo charcoal. I prefer royal oak. I smoke with some applewood as well. Thats how I make mine.
U have to use charcoal? I thought it was the wood chips that made the smoke?
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I use a dry rub, though I might try brining them next time. I cold smoke them for about 3 hours, braze them for 3-4 hours at 225* and then finish them on the grill. I cook down the brazing liquid and use it as a glaze. My dry rub and brine are a slight variation of this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
That dry rub sounds dandy, what smoker do u have? Will any smoker do cold smoke?
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post

U have to use charcoal? I thought it was the wood chips that made the smoke?
The charcoal heats the wood chips which in turn makes the wood chips smoke.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post

That dry rub sounds dandy, what smoker do u have? Will any smoker do cold smoke?
I have a Bradley...no I dont think any smoker will do it but I'm not sure
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I did some yesterday. Spare Ribs. It's the first time I've done ribs in a long while so we were playing around basically.

My dry rub is usually a combination of Season All, Garlic power, chili power, red pepper, black pepper and salt. I used to leave the salt out, but I read somewhere that it helps with the smoke flavor being absorbed into the meat. I usually mix it in a baggy then spread it on the meat. I've also been playing with coating the pork in olive oil before the dry rub, but I didn't this time.

I took the membrane off and did a dry rub on the meaty side. Let sit for about 45min while I brought the smoker up to temp (around 225-250). During this time I keep hickory wood chunks, that have been presoaked, on the fire to keep the smoke going. Put the ribs on and let sit for about 2 hours to build up a bark, then put in aluminum foil and back on the grill for 2 hours. Once the ribs are in the foil, I stop the wood chunks. I would probably keep them on if I had friend over, just for looks. Took them back out of the foil, put back on for another 30-45 minutes and slathered with BBQ sauce. at this point, I put the smoke back to it as well. I also flipped them at the 15-20min mark, carefully. The pretty much fell apart at this point. Took them off the grill, let them sit for 5 minutes and enjoyed. They were awesome. By far better then anything I've gotten in a restaurant. I'll be doing it again.

I'm using a stock Char Griller off set smoker. this is about how I smoke all my pork, just the times differ, as does the BBQ/dry rub, ect. Nobody ever complains, but I know there is room for improvement, which I try to do every time I cook. I've only been smoking for about a year.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons
I did some yesterday. Spare Ribs. It's the first time I've done ribs in a long while so we were playing around basically.

My dry rub is usually a combination of Season All, Garlic power, chili power, red pepper, black pepper and salt. I used to leave the salt out, but I read somewhere that it helps with the smoke flavor being absorbed into the meat. I usually mix it in a baggy then spread it on the meat. I've also been playing with coating the pork in olive oil before the dry rub, but I didn't this time.

I took the membrane off and did a dry rub on the meaty side. Let sit for about 45min while I brought the smoker up to temp (around 225-250). During this time I keep hickory wood chunks, that have been presoaked, on the fire to keep the smoke going. Put the ribs on and let sit for about 2 hours to build up a bark, then put in aluminum foil and back on the grill for 2 hours. Once the ribs are in the foil, I stop the wood chunks. I would probably keep them on if I had friend over, just for looks. Took them back out of the foil, put back on for another 30-45 minutes and slathered with BBQ sauce. at this point, I put the smoke back to it as well. I also flipped them at the 15-20min mark, carefully. The pretty much fell apart at this point. Took them off the grill, let them sit for 5 minutes and enjoyed. They were awesome. By far better then anything I've gotten in a restaurant. I'll be doing it again.

I'm using a stock Char Griller off set smoker. this is about how I smoke all my pork, just the times differ, as does the BBQ/dry rub, ect. Nobody ever complains, but I know there is room for improvement, which I try to do every time I cook. I've only been smoking for about a year.
So that's under 5 hrs total cooking time?i bought an electric smoker that should keep a constant temp
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The smoker arrived after 3 days, seasoned it according to instructions, gonna try some hot links smoked with apple wood and baby backs with mesquite
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

mesquite is an awfully strong wood for pork. be careful how much smoke you add to them. most people save the mesquite for brisket and steaks.

i am trying my hand at ribs for the first time today. i have smoked alot of shoulders, loins, chops and steaks but never ribs before.

we will see how they turn out. i bought baby backs, removed membrane, coated with oil prior to rubbing with a home made rub consisting of brown sugar, turbinado sugar, kosher salt, gruond black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and a previous made chipoltle rub i have on hand.

using charred oak KY bourbon barrel wood for smoke. just put them on actually, should be ready for dinner about 5 this evening.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered
mesquite is an awfully strong wood for pork. be careful how much smoke you add to them. most people save the mesquite for brisket and steaks.

i am trying my hand at ribs for the first time today. i have smoked alot of shoulders, loins, chops and steaks but never ribs before.

we will see how they turn out. i bought baby backs, removed membrane, coated with oil prior to rubbing with a home made rub consisting of brown sugar, turbinado sugar, kosher salt, gruond black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and a previous made chipoltle rub i have on hand.

using charred oak KY bourbon barrel wood for smoke. just put them on actually, should be ready for dinner about 5 this evening.
Thanks for the tip on mesquite !,,I removed membrane then coated a slab o baby backs with yellow mustard for a binding agent, rubbed with a "head country rub " that my buddy recommend ,,smoked 5 hrs with last hour wrapped in foil,, this time I used apple wood,,, last weekend I used no binder or foil and used ozark sugar maple,,,3while still good they could have been better,,, ur rub sounds great, I luv that turbinado sugar,,,,looking forward to tonight!!
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Get netflix and watch pit masters for a few tips.
I use a water smoker and I load that water pan up with onions, peppers, apple juice, water, more pepper, pineapple chunks, garlic, a whole bottle of Pickapepper and all sorts of stuff....just depends upon my mood. I smoke with hickory and a little apple wood, a dry rub, with some Ball's brand general purpose cajun seasoning mixed in. ( Be careful, because Ball's is very salty, and potent. Too much and you cant eat them)

About 4-5 hours at 225-250 with heavy smoke...spritzing them with apple juice after the first hour.
I finish them the last hour in tin foil at a lower temp, using Johnny Tripp's method....Tiger sauce, butter... and I add some apple juice. I'm a bit heavy on the garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper too....but that's a matter of personal taste.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.