What's in Wordgie's Smoker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > What's in Wordgie's Smoker?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What's in Wordgie's Smoker?

I'm a foodie. I love to eat, especially BBQ, so this section of the forum speaks to me. I figured I'd occupy a little space by showing off what I do and maybe provide some tips/inspiration to others. Plus, I could always stand to learn a thing or two.

I'm not an expert. I make no claim to be and I'm in no way, shape or form the be all end all authority on smoking. These are things that have worked for me. Things I've learned by making mistakes, things I've learned from my dad (alot of things I learned from him), and things I've picked up on from the internet and books.

If you have suggestions, great, let's hear them, but PLEASE don't be judgmental!

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, here's my first entry.

Here's some butts I did for Super Bowl Sunday.

I ordered them ahead of time from a local meat market and only paid a cent or two more per pound than the Smithfields I usually get at Wal Mart.

I mentioned this in the Boston Butt thread but I'll repeat. There win't a damn thing wrong with Smithfield pork products. Living in VA the first 10 years of my life, I was raised on the brand.

But, for some reason, the butts are too dense. Maybe they were frozen, maybe they're just raised that way. Because of that, heat doesn't penetrate enough to break it down. I've tried various mop sauces.

Any way, the butts from the local place were absolutely perfect. I ordered 2 of them with a combined weight of almost 17 pounds and they came in the day before I planned on putting them on.

I started the day before by mixing the mop sauce and dry rub.

No secrets, I got them from here

Rub: http://www.smoker-cooking.com/pulledpork.html
Sauce: http://www.smoker-cooking.com/vinegarbarbecuesauce.html

If you don't want to click:

Rub:
2 tablespoons each pickling salt, paprika, black pepper
1 tablespoon each garlic powder, cumin and sugar

I've got a Magic Bullet so I used one of the cups and the top with the holes in it. Worked perfect.

As a note, I used Kosher sale instead of Pickling salt. I think that's what happened, but the meat got alot saltier than I wanted it to.

Mop sauce:
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspon of red pepper flakes.

I found a two quart decanter from Target real cheap so that's what I make it in.

It never hurts to double the recipe.

So I rub the butts the night before and wrap them in Saran wrap. I've heard you can use prepared mustard on the meat then put the rub on, but I haven't personally tried it. Supposedly you don't taste the mustard but I don't see how.

Crank the smoker up to 225. A little higher at first wont hurt since you'll be opening the lid to put the meat in.

Before you start, here's my tip. Maybe it's important, maybe not, but I've always done since the days I used my vertical smoker. Water pan. I put a throw away aluminum under each butt, filled about, maybe less than half way with water. The drippings go in here which not only aids in clean up but as the water heats up, flavor from the juices go back up in the meat.

Wood. It's a personal choice. I'm not a fan of mesquite. Just a personal thing. I'm more into apple and hickory.

Another tip. Charcoal chimney. Indispensable! Takes an instant to light and no fumes.

After the smoker is up to temp I put the butts on and let them go for a couple hours. By this time I may need to add coals. This is when I put the first coat of mop sauce on them. After the initial coat, it goes on every hour. Make plenty, use plenty. It don't hurt.

Each time you coat them, make a check and see if they're cooking evenly. Rotate and swap sides if needed.

I let these go for 10 hours then wrapped them in foil with a good slathering of sauce inside and let them sit on higher heat for a couple hours.

The picture makes them look burned on the outside, but they really weren't. There was a good char, but it was till moist and tasty.

I pulled the butts with a couple forks and sat them out sauceless so guests could add their own.

And plated with baked beans (another recipe for another day), bacon mac and cheese, potato salad, Texas toast and a cold beer. I had a house full so it was Bud Light, not the good stuff.

Wordgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What smoker do u have? Bacon Mac n cheese?? Go on,,,,,,,,
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Am I mistaken? Those butts in plastic wrap look like processed cooked ham products, not fresh pork. Is that just the rub on them? Their shape also looks like they have already been heated. I suggest that you start with a photo of fresh pork next time so we can see what you started with.
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Am I mistaken? Those butts in plastic wrap look like processed cooked ham products, not fresh pork. Is that just the rub on them? Their shape also looks like they have already been heated. I suggest that you start with a photo of fresh pork next time so we can see what you started with.
Nope. Fresh Butts. The rub has a reddish/brown color and I had them wrapped pretty tight.

Normally I do take pics from the beginning but my hands were already covered in rub by the time I remembered.

Yeah, bacon Mac and cheese. It was good stuff. A buddy made it so I don't have the recipe. I need to get it, though.
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
vmo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Am I mistaken? Those butts in plastic wrap look like processed cooked ham products, not fresh pork. Is that just
They look like half cut boston butts to me. Usually you get a 8ish lb butt, but I often ask for the half 4lber if I am not serving lots of folks.
vmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post
What smoker do u have? Bacon Mac n cheese?? Go on,,,,,,,,
Brinkman Smoke n Pit. I got it from my dad about 4 years ago and he had it several years before that.

It's hard to explain the butts. Part of the difference is they were boneless from the meat market so they were laid open, almost butterfly if you will. I guess it's the way they got wrapped up, they didn't go back to their regular shape or something.
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
GvilleJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good!!! How about a recipe for those baked beans??
GvilleJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Wordgie, very nice and thanks for the write up.

You said the below .

" Maybe it's important, maybe not, but I've always done since the days I used my vertical smoker. Water pan. I put a throw away aluminum under each butt, filled about, maybe less than half way with water. The drippings go in here which not only aids in clean up but as the water heats up, flavor from the juices go back up in the meat. "

I would start with very,very hot water in the drip pan for several reasons .

Damnit, I am so hungry now .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

is that tater salad too ?

recipe ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My sister did the tater salad. It's nothing fancy, just a standard recipe. I just have the details.

The beans are my dad's recipe he's done for years. I think he got it from his parents, so it's been around for awhile. As a result, there are no measurements.

Here's the quick method. For the real recipe I grew up on, use dry beans like pintos or navy.

Big can of pork and beans
Package of kielbasa or smoked sausage, sliced, browned, drained and patted clean of grease.
Small onion, diced
Optionally a bell pepper. I usually don't do that, though.
Prepared mustard
Ketchup
Molasses
Cumin
Chili powder
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

I asked dad about how much of everything once. For the ketchup, mustard and molasses, "just enough for taste but not so much that one flavor takes over". For the spices, enough to personal taste.

I usually drain the beans a little. You want some juice, you just don't want soup.

I also usually do them in a crockpot so I don't have to babysit them, but a cast iron Dutch oven is the best.

Put everything your cooking utensil of choice and cook. For the crock pot method, stir often. For the Dutch oven, stir, but a little less frequently since the cook time is a little less.

As far as cook time goes, I judge it by looks. You don't want the beans cooked down to mush and you want the juice to thicken up a little.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Wordgie, very nice and thanks for the write up.

You said the below .

" Maybe it's important, maybe not, but I've always done since the days I used my vertical smoker. Water pan. I put a throw away aluminum under each butt, filled about, maybe less than half way with water. The drippings go in here which not only aids in clean up but as the water heats up, flavor from the juices go back up in the meat. "

I would start with very,very hot water in the drip pan for several reasons .

Damnit, I am so hungry now .
I never thought about using hot water from the beginning. I usually fill and place the pans after I start the fire and let it warm that way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.