Whats for dinner everyone?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Whats for dinner everyone??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Reply
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
CRider74
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool, PA
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinthebend View Post
How well does the temp stay during the winter in that barrel? And do you ever have to add coals though out the smoke?
Well, I just built it this year, so I can't say yet. I'll have to get back to ya though cuz I see myself not stopping. From everything I've read on the bbq forums though, it'll hold just fine in cold weather (one guy posted from Canada showing his drum surrounded by 3' of snow and he didn't have any trouble). I think at most, I may just have to up my air intake which'll use a little more fuel during the cook. The coal basket holds about 15lbs of briquettes & chunkwood, I still had about 2/3 of the basket yet after cooking at 240-250 for 12 hours, plus about an hour of warm-up time prior to putting the meat in to make sure temps were stable. I don't see myself ever having to add coals mid-smoke with this thing.

__________________
Smokin' & Jeepin' (Finally!!!)
CRider74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
CRider74
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool, PA
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBJ33P View Post
I grilled gluten free pizza, was shocked how good the crust came out.

That looks delicious, nice job!!!
__________________
Smokin' & Jeepin' (Finally!!!)
CRider74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #33
buckinthebend
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74

I built an "Ugly Drum Smoker." Search for it on BBQ-brethren.com, there's a whole thread on building them (set aside some time, it's a real long one LOL). Once you've got the parts, build time can be as little as an hour or so depending on how nice you want it to be. I sanded & painted mine up to make it prettier for the wife to accept it on the back porch, but there's no need for it other than that.

Edited to add - minus the paint & stuff, I've got less than $100 in building this smoker.
I am looking at the thread and man is it a lot of reading. They didn't by chance just have a thread with step by step instructions do they? I am intrigued and want to build one this next weekend. I found I some on other websites but want to get it right. Especially with the air vent holes. Etc. was it hard to get the thermometer in? I noticed some saying they used a weber 22.5 kettle lid which is great bc I have one but if I want to grill and smoke at the same time that would not be good! Sorry for the book.
buckinthebend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #34
viimag
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: california
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinthebend

I am looking at the thread and man is it a lot of reading. They didn't by chance just have a thread with step by step instructions do they? I am intrigued and want to build one this next weekend. I found I some on other websites but want to get it right. Especially with the air vent holes. Etc. was it hard to get the thermometer in? I noticed some saying they used a weber 22.5 kettle lid which is great bc I have one but if I want to grill and smoke at the same time that would not be good! Sorry for the book.
I found the same thing. I am not going through 500+ pages just to find out how to build one of these things. I did google "Ugly drum smoker" and found this site.

http://www.grillingcompanion.com/how...-smoker-part1/

There was a lot of other sites that had info and a bunch of info on YouTube. Some people had only one cooking rack and others had more. It looks like you decide what you want then build it, only to come up with other ideas so you build another one. I suggest getting started ASAP!! :-)

The thermometers I have found are very easy to install. Drill small hole... Poke thermometer through hole and tighten nut on inside of smoker... Enjoy good meat....
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #35
MinnesotaBill
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bemidji, Mn
Posts: 41
you guys should check out smoked meat.com,I beena forum member there for 5 years now.check out there homemade smoker section for drum smokers.whole sight will make ya drool

http://www.smoked-meat.com/modules/Jig/index.php
Heres what I had for supper tonight




dang im hungry again
MinnesotaBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #36
CRider74
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool, PA
Posts: 222
I've got a .pdf file with the plans (forgot I had em LOL), pm me your addy & I'll email it to you (anyone that wants em).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a Weber lid for mine. I put my grate down about 8" or so from the top. This way, in the future when I get a weber dome, I can put a 2nd grate in an inch from the top and I'll have two grates. As mentioned, the thermometer is easy...just a 1/2" hole and it goes in with a wingnut. One thing to keep in mind is that the therm in the side will not be completely accurate as it's on the side and not directly over the heat source. I've found mine to be about 50 degrees lower. Not really a big deal, I just get it set to read 200 and I know that I'm about 240-250 in the middle which is where I like to be. For the air vent holes, I put 4 1" vents in. 3 have caps that I can remove, the 4th has a ball valve making it adjustable. For my smoke yesterday, I had one cap off and had the ball valve set at about 3/4 open. YMMV based on where you live, ambient temps, humidity, elevation, etc...but you'll find that once you get the air flow figured out, it'll hold rock steady once it's set.

Think I'm gonna make a breakfast sammich with scrambled eggs, cheese, and leftover pork
__________________
Smokin' & Jeepin' (Finally!!!)
CRider74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
viimag
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: california
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaBill View Post



dang im hungry again
Dang those steaks look good. I never thought about smoking steaks like that. (only larger cuts of meat) Are they New Yorks? How did you cook them? What temp and how long?
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
buckinthebend
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74
I've got a .pdf file with the plans (forgot I had em LOL), pm me your addy & I'll email it to you (anyone that wants em).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a Weber lid for mine. I put my grate down about 8" or so from the top. This way, in the future when I get a weber dome, I can put a 2nd grate in an inch from the top and I'll have two grates. As mentioned, the thermometer is easy...just a 1/2" hole and it goes in with a wingnut. One thing to keep in mind is that the therm in the side will not be completely accurate as it's on the side and not directly over the heat source. I've found mine to be about 50 degrees lower. Not really a big deal, I just get it set to read 200 and I know that I'm about 240-250 in the middle which is where I like to be. For the air vent holes, I put 4 1" vents in. 3 have caps that I can remove, the 4th has a ball valve making it adjustable. For my smoke yesterday, I had one cap off and had the ball valve set at about 3/4 open. YMMV based on where you live, ambient temps, humidity, elevation, etc...but you'll find that once you get the air flow figured out, it'll hold rock steady once it's set.

Think I'm gonna make a breakfast sammich with scrambled eggs, cheese, and leftover pork
Thanks for the tip man. I remembered one of my old neighbors works for a candy and food store. They just scrap the drums when they are done and they hold like spearmint and orange citrus oil etc. he did mention they have bigger galvanized steel ones that they store mustard in that are even ****** then 55 gal! He is going to get me a couple for free which takes the sting out of buying the one today! ( I doubt they would let me return it).
buckinthebend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
CRider74
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liverpool, PA
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinthebend View Post
Thanks for the tip man. I remembered one of my old neighbors works for a candy and food store. They just scrap the drums when they are done and they hold like spearmint and orange citrus oil etc. he did mention they have bigger galvanized steel ones that they store mustard in that are even ****** then 55 gal! He is going to get me a couple for free which takes the sting out of buying the one today! ( I doubt they would let me return it).
Sweet, that rocks!
__________________
Smokin' & Jeepin' (Finally!!!)
CRider74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
buckinthebend
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Grilled chicken chilli. Trying something new today. Southwestern rubbed grilled chicken thrown into three different kinds of beans, tomatoes, onions, corn. Will add cheese as well. Thought it would be cool to post the be enrage as well with the food. Idea came from this book my wife just bought me for my Birthday! Grilling and beer are like 2 peas in a pod. My bro lives in Minnesota so when I visited in August I grabbed this fall sampler by summit brewing co out of the twin cities. Can't forget my grilling pal!




image-2003736453.jpg



image-295759863.jpg



image-3772530848.jpg
image-714755664.jpg   image-1813940421.jpg   image-2393665247.jpg   image-3417019865.jpg   image-1961546451.jpg  

image-2517373127.jpg   image-3430965947.jpg   image-3740549394.jpg  

Last edited by buckinthebend; 10-01-2012 at 07:48 PM..
buckinthebend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #41
buckinthebend
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinthebend
Grilled chicken chilli. Trying something new today. Southwestern rubbed grilled chicken thrown into three different kinds of beans, tomatoes, onions, corn. Will add cheese as well. Thought it would be cool to post the be enrage as well with the food. Idea came from this book my wife just bought me for my Birthday! Grilling and beer are like 2 peas in a pod. My bro lives in Minnesota so when I visited in August I grabbed this fall sampler by summit brewing co out of the twin cities. Can't forget my grilling pal!
Apparently I cannot post pics. Sorry guys
buckinthebend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
MinnesotaBill
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bemidji, Mn
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by viimag View Post
Dang those steaks look good. I never thought about smoking steaks like that. (only larger cuts of meat) Are they New Yorks? How did you cook them? What temp and how long?
They were actually country style pork ribs.smoked them for 6hrs at 250 and they were damn good
MinnesotaBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #43
keithert
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,022
I almost never cook but my mom gave us some green tomatoes so I made fried green tomatoes tonight. They were as good as restaurant ones.
__________________
Current: 2005 Wrangler Unlimited - Past: 90 and 92 Trackers and 98 Wrangler SE
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Swagger_Wagon
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oak Lawn, IL/South GA
Posts: 1,538
I didn't take any pics but the girlfriend did, and hit it with some instagram filters of course...


2 nice big NY strips for 13$, sweet deal. Marinated at room temp for a bit in A1 NY Steakhouse marinade, grilled to med-rare with a little montreal seasoning. Then tossed some potatos, green peppers, and sweet onions on the grill. Great dinner before an even sweeter Bears win!
__________________
Quote:
P.J. O'Rourke
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #45
phitmein
Web Wheeler
 
phitmein's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,334
"A1 NY Steakhouse marinade"

That is some very good stuff and is much better than their Chicago marinade .

Great stuff on pork too IMO .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.