What sides have you grilled to perfection?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > What sides have you grilled to perfection??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What sides have you grilled to perfection??

I'll share a few really great ones of mine:

Asparagus- Buy a pound, re-cut the ends back about an inch. Get a one-gallon zip-lock bag, pour in a shot of olive oil, a handful of kosher salt, and crack some pepper in it, then shake. Grill this two or three minutes, roll it over if you want, but don't overcook it and let it get too black or soft. Most awesome asparagus ever, even peiople who think they don't like asparagus will be awed!!

Baked potato - scrub the heck out of it under the faucet, then while it is wet roll it in kosher salt and black pepper, then wrap it in foil and toss it on the back of the grill. I put these on early, usually cook about an hour, but makes a really crisp outer shell that is some good eatin.

Corn on the cob - buy some sweet corn in the shucks, drop it in the sink and soak it in water for at least an hour, preferably more. Throw them on the back or side of the grill, usually for about half an hour - watch for the outer shuck to start to burn off, then it is done. The water kind of steams the corn and when you peel off the shuck the silks will come right off.

Anybody else have some favorites?

77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Take a large Zuccinni and slice it lengthwise into thin slabs. (No need to peel) Coat the slabs with olive-oil, then drop on the grill and shake them down with your favoite "italian" seasoning and some salt....

You can also do the same thing with egg-plant. We specifically grow zuccini and egg-plant in the garden each year for this recipe.

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

I have done alot of different sides with success. Zuccinni,egg plant,vidallia onions,corn on the cobb,baked potato,green tomatos,asparagus,and pineapple. Just rub with a little olive oil add whatever seasoning you like and grill.

The green tomatos are great on burgers. The trick with eggplant,and any other squash is to salt it and let it stand on the counter for a few minutes. Then pat the moisture off the surface before rubbing on olive oil.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pretty simple, but dice potatoes. About 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch squares. Put a few diced up on foil. Drown with plenty of butter, seasoning salt, diced onions and peppers of choice. I like banana peppers or a mix of bells and jalapeños.
Grill for about 30 minutes, maybe turning once, depending on how much you have and how hot the fire is.
Unread 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Another thing thats great on the grill is cabbage. Cut the heart of the cabbage out put a whole stick of butter where the heart was. Then dump a jar of your favorite salsa over it wrap it in foil and put on the grill until its tender.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
JBWrangler06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Artichoke - Steam for 10 minutes, cut lengthwise and remove the core. Cover with olive oil, sprinkle garlic and salt. 5-7 minutes per side on direct medium heat should do the trick.
JBWrangler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
fundabug

On the grill I do taters & onions, corn on the cob, asparagus, squash, zucchini, whole onions, and green/red bell peppers. When I'm slow smoking meat I'll sometimes throw on some cayenne peppers, whole onions, bell peppers, garlic cloves, but my favorite is slow smoked fresh jalapenos from my garden for salsa . It makes the salsa friggin awesome!!!!!! They still have some heat, but they also get a little sweet and smokey. Can't recommend that enough.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Take large potatoes, cut lengthwise into three pieces, the middle piece thinner than the outer 2 pieces so it cooks at the same pace. Weave bacon between the three pieces, then wrap another piece (or two) of bacon around the tater to hold it together. Wrap in foil, toss on grill for half an hour. Turn them over, and forget about them for another half hour. Open, and enjoy potato heaven.
Burlbook48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWrangler06 View Post
Artichoke - Steam for 10 minutes, cut lengthwise and remove the core. Cover with olive oil, sprinkle garlic and salt. 5-7 minutes per side on direct medium heat should do the trick.

Pretty close.. I steam mine for 5-7 minutes.

Cut the tips off, cut them in half, (length wise)
pull out the choke, then trim the stem.

Immediately transfer each one to some water
with lemon, or lime juice, or they'll turn brown.

Marinate them in olive oil, orange juice, and
some minced garlic for about 2 hours.

Grill on both sides to perfection.

Needs no butter, or any dipping sauce.
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
WEPIII
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a few that I am quite fond of:

My take on scalloped potatoes - I use a mandoline to slice some potatoes (how ever many you like). Start to wrap them in foil as if they were still whole potatoes, but they need to be a bit loose, but dont close it. Take some uncooked bacon and cut it up, bigger pieces than you would find on say, a salad. Throw the bacon on top of potatoes. Dice a sweet onion and add on top. Add butter, salt and pepper. Toss on shelf on grill for about 20 miuntes. Pull off and add some mile or cream (maybe 1/2 cup per potato you use). Wrap back up and put back on grill (with the open part on top, of course) and cook for another 10-15. Pull off grill and unwrap and add a bunch of your favorite cheese(s).

Grilled portabella mushroom - clean as many BIG caps as you want. Cut the stem out and put gill side up on plate. Cover in Italian dressing, garlic powder (just a little bit) and salt and pepper. I normally let them hang out in the fridge for about 30 miuntes. Toss on grill, gills up for 5 minutes, flip over for 3 then flip back over and add some shredded jack cheese and cook tille melted. This also works great if you have some sort of seafood, such as crab or lobster or light white fish (all previously cooked).

Corn - as stated above, put in ice water to "freeze" the startches. pull husks back and coat with melted butter, parmesean cheese and garlic salt. re-cover with husks and coat the outsude with whatever is left to keep them together. toss on grill and cook till outter layer is black-ish. pull husks off and serve.

They are all pretty good in my book. Give em a try, nobody will ***** about them. Hell, its a cookout and everyone should have had a few beers by then.
WEPIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
pitman91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have done Zuccinni many of times, cut in slices round ways and I put all different kinds of seasonings from the shelf. But last time I did them I also put brown sugar on them. They were awesome!!!!

'04 Wrangler Sport, 6 cyl., 4 speed auto, 4" lift, 33X12.50
pitman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
Pockets518
2001 WJ 

for my corn ill shuck it, rinse it, set it on tin foil, add some butter, salt, and pepper wrap it up and toss it on. mmmmm love it. tatoes do about the same cut in hald add butter salt and pepper wrap em up and forget them too..
any kind of mix vegies slices up with some butter or oil and some seasonings. grilled tomatoes (cut in half brush with oil set on grill) works nice for tomatoe basil and motzarella salad. i could go on and on mmm i love grillin!!!
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I soak my corn in salted water for an hour then grill in the husk til it's pretty well charred on the out side.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
Pockets518
2001 WJ 

thats probably amazing, like salt potatoes but corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #15
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I do zucchini, squash, asparagus, portebella mushrooms all the time

I'm gonna have to try some potatoes

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.