Well, it's not grilled but... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Well, it's not grilled but...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Well, it's not grilled but...

... it came out pretty nice;

Skirt steak, cooked sous vide for 12 hours at 134 degrees, then pan seared for 20-30 seconds a side in a smoking hot pan (I think I'm going to need welding equipment to clean it properly).

I love the flavor of skirt steak, but it's ALWAYS too damned tough for my liking, slow cooking it all day like this really does break down the tissue and leave it incredibly tender, without losing any of the taste.

Unread 06-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I feel so stupid. I was trying to figure out what misspelled but could not so I decided to google sous vide only to find it is a real term that is spelled correctly.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks very tender, did you use any sauce for the final dish or just serve as is?
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Looks very tender, did you use any sauce for the final dish or just serve as is?
Didn't use any sauce, no, didn't really need anything except a side salad.
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you use a fancy pants sous vide machine or some other method? I suppose a vacuum sealed bag in water would work if you could keep the temp regulated.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Did you use a fancy pants sous vide machine or some other method? I suppose a vacuum sealed bag in water would work if you could keep the temp regulated.
I bought a sous vide supreme with a **** ton of amex points - they retail for $400, but there's also a $300 model.

As for the vacuum bags, I just use a foodsaver which works fine.

... and yeah, you do literally just need a temperature controlled water bath, the problem is circulating the water to ensure an even cooking temperature, a pot on a stove is going to have a high temperature gradient between the water at the bottom and the water at the top unless you can figure out a way to stir it constantly.

If you don't want to spring for a sous vide machine, there's a DIY immersion circulator here;
http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/d...-for-about-75/

It has the advantage of running a water pump so you can stick it on any water container and it'll keep the temperature pretty consistent.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.