Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

webber kettle grill vs big green egg

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  MIjeep86 
#1 ·
i have been using my kettle grill for years and it is time to replace it. my wife wants me to get the large green egg. i don't see the need to spend the big bucks for the "egg" plus accessories, as well as learning to cook all over again. any advice and experience with the two grills would be appreciated. tks all

#2 ·
How much do you use it? What do you want to cook with it? I have a webber kettle and love it. It is very versatile and the best part is that it is cheap. For the occasional to moderate user it is a great Q. If you are going to cook with this a lot and want to experiment with other things like pies, bread etc... the green egg will infect you like a disease. It will consume your thoughts and mind. All you will be able think about is what you are going to cook next. My cousin has a cheap knock off one from Costco and he has the disease. I have a smoker that is beginning to consume more of my thoughts but that is a different subject. My advice is answer the first 2 questions then decide what is right for you. You should also go to a BGE event. I hear that is where the disease is caught... You have been warned. :)

#3 ·
If you are going to cook with this a lot and want to experiment with other things like pies, bread etc... the green egg will infect you like a disease. It will consume your thoughts and mind. All you will be able think about is what you are going to cook next. ... You have been warned. :)
That is the truth. We never started off to maintain a whole fleet of BGEs but somehow it happened. All but the first one (XL) was purchased at an EggFest.

XLarge = for entertaining or 20+ hours smokes
Large = The go-to grill and most versatile and the one I'd pick if I could just have one
Med = Great to throw in the back of the Jeep to take camping
Small = Poor design / will probably get rid of it
Mini = So darn cute and the most used to cook for just one or two

As was mentioned you can bake / roast, smoke, and grill with them. In fact we roasted the Thanksgiving day turkey on it just to free up an oven for other things. Once we decide for sure which ones we want to keep, we'll build a table for them and get rid of the "nests".

#5 ·
I have used Webers all my life. My brother is the best grill master I have met yet. He uses a Weber. I have slow cooked on a Weber for 14 hours without any problem. A few people I work with have BGEs. The food is also great. Bottom line is learn to use what you have. You can do miracles with it.

#6 ·
If you like Weber, splurge and get the Weber Performer grill. The gas ignition gets your coals going quick and the work table is a real help. I have an older Performer with the stainless steel work table and I love it - wouldn't trade it for anything.

#9 ·
Weber Performer. Period. At least for 'out on the deck' .. IMHO, of course :)

I'm on my second Performer (a gen-II), my daughter has taken my gen-I to "teach the boyfriend how to grill" ;)

Never did bread (but have done naan), sometimes do pizza, often do chicken/turkey/veggies, and do fish several times a week in summer.

...tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.