Tried somehing different with Ribeye Steaks. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Tried somehing different with Ribeye Steaks.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tried somehing different with Ribeye Steaks.

Just BBQ'd some ribeye steaks, man were they good. Marinated them in stubs steakhouse marinade, diluted with a can of Budweiser, a quarter bottle of Chris n pits hot BBQ sauce (not really hot at all) and about a cup of water. I let them marinate for 5 hours. Normally I don't marinate Ribeye Steaks but I'm glad I did it. Sautéed some asparagus, baked some potatoes. Thee best steak I've ever had. People in our family here who rarely ever finish their steaks eat every last bite.

Instead of throwing the marinade out I took two tri tips and put them in the same container and back into the fridge to marinate for a coupe of days. Mid week well BBQ one and freeze the other.

You guys need to try this combination of marinade on your next steaks.

Unread 05-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Sounds good.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Droooooooling now....
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good way to screw up a prime cut of meat. Marinades are for tough(er) cuts if you ask me. Best thing ive come across for a killer steak is a little olive oil, crushed fresh garlic and fresh rosemary mixed together and rubbed on the meat about 15 minutes prior to cooking. Grill 6 minutes a side... Perfect steak!
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Sounds like a good way to screw up a prime cut of meat. Marinades are for tough(er) cuts if you ask me. Best thing ive come across for a killer steak is a little olive oil, crushed fresh garlic and fresh rosemary mixed together and rubbed on the meat about 15 minutes prior to cooking. Grill 6 minutes a side... Perfect steak!
How thick a steak ?

The Devil is in the details and it makes a big differents .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein

How thick a steak ?

The Devil is in the details and it makes a big differents .
Most store bought steaks are 3/4". I have mine cut at an inch. 6 minutes a side on a 1" thick steak is perfect for me, but then i like mine on the rarer side of medium
Unread 08-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

But once again, the Devil is in the details .

A two inch steak cooked at room temp in a cast iron pan very hot for 6 minutes a side is still rare and is very good and hard to beat .

I love grilling/smoking but unless you are going low and slow it is very hard to beat a steak cooked in cast iron quickly .

You can not cook a steak that quickly and expect it to taste like charcoal or whatever .

Just say'n .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
But once again, the Devil is in the details .

A two inch steak cooked at room temp in a cast iron pan very hot for 6 minutes a side is still rare and is very good and hard to beat .

I love grilling/smoking but unless you are going low and slow it is very hard to beat a steak cooked in cast iron quickly .

You can not cook a steak that quickly and expect it to taste like charcoal or whatever .

Just say'n .
Love a steak cooked on a flat iron
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not a fan of marinating steak. I think that the moisture that the marinade leaves on and in the meat reduces the cooking temperature and slows the rendering of the fat. A good ribeye has melted fat oozing from the meat, is partially charred, but is still pink and juicy inside.

Marinated meat is usually gray inside and dryer on the outside, in my experience.

Of course, the taste of the marinade is great but that is not enough to balance out the changes in grilling characteristics for me. Now, if its a tough piece of meat, I'm all for it.
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

We rarely marinate a steak. Just had to try it and it was good. May of just got lucky?

I maple glazed some ribeye steaks a couple times and they were excellent. I coated them with brown sugar and fine cut fresh rosemary and cooked over a very hot fire.

The best tasting ribeye's I've cooked though is over a desert campfire. I use whatever old dead dry wood I can find laying on the desert floor, yucca, juniper. When its a bed of red hot coals, with little to no smoke coming off the fire, that's when I start to cook them.

Tonight we're having ribeye's on a charcoal grill seasoned with just a little salt and black pepper.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post

The best tasting ribeye's I've cooked though is over a desert campfire. I use whatever old dead dry wood I can find laying on the desert floor, yucca, juniper. When its a bed of red hot coals, with little to no smoke coming off the fire, that's when I start to cook them.
This is so true. Some of the best meals I have ever made were made on campfires.

There is nothing like a breakfast of steak and eggs over a fire of scraps of juniper or mesquite.
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
OlYellerTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try bear steaks or venison on the campfire like that...
Now I'm HUNGRY.
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ
Try bear steaks or venison on the campfire like that...
Now I'm HUNGRY.
That just slightly aroused me
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

This is so true. Some of the best meals I have ever made were made on campfires.

There is nothing like a breakfast of steak and eggs over a fire of scraps of juniper or mesquite.
Me want!!!
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.