Traeger anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Traeger anyone?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
schvilktus

Traeger anyone?

I've been using one for 2-3 years now, and I haven't turned on a gas or charcoal grill since. Anyone else use one? The ribs thread really made me wanna go home and make some!

1986 CJ-7 Laredo. 4" Superlift, 33x12.50s, one piece axles, T-5, D300, AMC 20, Jasper stage-1 258 I-6, Howell TBI, DUI ignition, Luk ProGold Performance clutch, Red w/ black hard top, one sexy cornfed boy behind the wheel.
schvilktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We use one at my fire station all the time. They are just awesome.

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Dcomf

Have one now for 6 months and won't go back to the other grills. Might seem expensive at the outset but haven't regretted it.
Dcomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

See my thread. My dad owns his own appliance and tv business but sells grills as well. I love the Traeger Grills, they are from Oregon( but I think now manu. or parts made in china). Never going back to a gas or charcoal again. Very little parts to go wrong as well. We sell the pellets as well. The "TEXAS" model is the one worth buying but expensive like $980 or so.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
schvilktus

I have the "Lil Tex" model and it's plenty big for feeding a family or a small(er) gathering of people. I can fit 3 racks of ribs, or 2 whole chickens, or about 12-14 burgers on at a time. I've never had a reason to do more than a single pork shoulder or brisket at a time, but I think I could fit 2 of either of those as well.

I also added the digital control to mine which makes a huge difference when trying to cook when it's colder outside.

1986 CJ-7 Laredo. 4" Superlift, 33x12.50s, one piece axles, T-5, D300, AMC 20, Jasper stage-1 258 I-6, Howell TBI, DUI ignition, Luk ProGold Performance clutch, Red w/ black hard top, one sexy cornfed boy behind the wheel.
schvilktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do these grills cook as quickly at a charcoal grill or will my burgers take a long time? I had a Holland Grill for about a month and hated it. I really like a charcoal grill, it would be hard for me to change, but I read a lot of the website and like what I see.
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
Do these grills cook as quickly at a charcoal grill or will my burgers take a long time? I had a Holland Grill for about a month and hated it. I really like a charcoal grill, it would be hard for me to change, but I read a lot of the website and like what I see.
I'm unsure of what model we have at my station, but when we put it on high it cooks burgers pretty quick.

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good to know. I am thinking about one of these, but I don't want another Holland Experience. I understand the concept, but it was painfully slow and I didn't enjoy the cooking or the food.

I like the simplified idea of cooking with wood and the ease of temperature control. I know, I am getting older, but I enjoy the beer drinking associated with grilling as much or more as the grilling these days.
Unread 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These grills are solid, I agree with Holland. My dad has a holland and its just sittin in the shed. We have 2 Traegers. I would get a build it one and build a brick enclosure and make it look professional. The hopper is on the front though.
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have been seriously thinking about getting a traeger, probably the small one. Aside from the size and the temp control is there any real difference between them all? As I understand it the more expensive ones can be set to a specific temperature wjile the little ones just have something like, High, Med, Low. True?

Has any one ever bought or scavenged an auger and heater to make their own redneck version? I have and old grill I could use as a base.

thx
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you cook for 3 people or more at a time, I would not get the Junior which is the smallest. The Lil Tex Elite is the best deal. Absolutely get the digital thermostat. The 3 speed sucks. Traeger has nice rebates going on now too. Dont buy online or at costco please even though it might save you a little bit. Support local dealers and local families. They will always have your pellets too. Maple+Pecan is my favorite. Hickory is a good close second. Apple for apple pies. Each grill comes with a cookbook and their website has tons of recipies too.
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bought mine 2 months ago and have only turned the oven on a couple times lol. I've got the Junior and bought the digital t-stat when it was on sale, been doing everything from pies to fries to ribs and burgers.

@Elwood, I do burgers @350 and it takes about 10 minutes to heat and 20 minutes to cook for the frozen patties, thawed anywhere from 10-20 depending on how thick they are.

IMO the best part is not having to worry about flare-ups.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.